PDA

View Full Version : Low flying a fascinating read and multitude of images

NutLoose
30th Nov 2011, 18:37
How the heck he got that P-47 back is beyond me...

Lower than a Snake's Belly in a Wagon Rut > Vintage Wings of Canada (http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/325/language/en-CA/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-Rut.aspx)

500N
30th Nov 2011, 19:07
Some awesome photos on that web page.

And some interesting stories.

I noticed that the B52 photo where the pilot flew that close to the hill isn't included - the same pilot who crashed the B52 later on - Fairchild AFB ?

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2011, 19:15
I used to know a few pilots who went lower than the aircraft in all those photos.

Don Bullock flying the "Sally B" came very close to wiping out myself, my wife, my in-laws and many others at Sleap airfield during an airshow in the late 1970s. He took off, did an immediate 270 degree turn to port as soon as the undercarriage was off the ground and then dragged the port wingtip across the runway and grass, whilst flying directly towards the crowd. We were directly in front and first in line to get taken out. He (only just) recovered the aircraft to level flight but then had to fly directly over the crowd at extremely low level.

I wasn't in the least surprised to hear of his final "aviation feat" at Biggin Hill. At the time his medical was suspended. A total idiot :mad:

500N
30th Nov 2011, 19:21
How was he able to fly if his medical was suspended ?

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2011, 19:38
Anyone can fly unlicensed if no-one checks their documentation!

In retrospect I recall at the time there was a great deal of discussion about whether or not his medical certificate was actually valid.

The CAA were forced to introduce far stricter controls over air display flying after his B-26 accident (this occurred the season after he nearly killed me).

LowObservable
1st Dec 2011, 13:24
You can only equal the record...

Mach Two
1st Dec 2011, 13:55
Great post, Nutloose. Thanks.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2011, 14:05
As our Boss said to us before the Gulf War, "You can break the rules, but you can't break the laws of physics"

Great pix though!

RodfjH
5th Dec 2011, 12:51
Delighted to see the SOAF/RAFO images on the site too.

serge-frog
5th Dec 2011, 19:20
Some of the MiG-25 low flying from ru, sorry for the low quality of video <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9J8cnwlg64?version=3&feature=player_profilepage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9J8cnwlg64?version=3&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

NutLoose
6th Dec 2011, 02:34
Serge, no film showing.

serge-frog
6th Dec 2011, 08:45
Sorry, something with embedding youtube on the forum. Actually it was this link
Russian FJ low pass flyby - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=z9J8cnwlg64)

May be this would work this way
z9J8cnwlg64

TEEEJ
6th Dec 2011, 13:42
Serge's missing video?

MIG 25, the greatest plane on earth..fly low - YouTube

TEEEJ
6th Dec 2011, 13:51
Some more from Russia

Tu-22 Blinders - A very low pass at 0:43

Tu-22_Low_Passes.mp4 - YouTube

Su-24 Fencer low pass

Low pass 2 - YouTube

Mi-26 Halo low pass

crazy russian pilot - YouTube

serge-frog
6th Dec 2011, 15:08
Should be fixed. I look like slowpoke with this premod =)

TEEEJ, almost that video =) but a bit different - longer and with views of towns and villages, churches and water towers at the left and right sides of the flying aircraft. The speed is not supersonic, but still.

I believe it is the same pilot as in your videos. May be even the same MIG - in Ru it's not as in the US - we do not write pilots' names on the cabins. So, times ago we had the practice One Aircraft - One Crew, but it not so strong today as in your countries - may be because our average regiment sometimes has several (three or five for example) aircrafts that are available to fly, the rest are out of order, and 30+ pilots who need to fly =)

UPD GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr
Is fixed but somewhere in the middle of the thread!
z9J8cnwlg64

serge-frog
6th Dec 2011, 15:43
and the russians in Africa
sg0_b0IbGmg

TEEEJ
6th Dec 2011, 18:35
Thanks for the reply, Serge. Interesting videos! :ok:

serge-frog
6th Dec 2011, 19:34
Russains are sometimes a bit crazy, like kids =)

Remember that once during the regular parachute-jumping trainings there was capt. Schukin, PIC of the Mi-8 chopper (which we use to climb the altitude 800-4000 meters and to jump out from), one of the best amusement for him was to fly on his helicopter over the "Start Point" (place where we pack our parachutes) at the five or seven meters. An average time to pack the d1-5u parachute is 20 or 30 minutes, and after his "ace's flight" over our heads we had have to pic up our almost packed parachutes, disentangle them and pack them again. By the way, each skydiver, repacking his parachute, did thumbs up for Schukin, mad enough to fly so low despite two or three colonels on the Start Point and some commanding officers on the tower =)