PDA

View Full Version : hey everybody!

dingducky
20th Apr 2001, 09:12
ok time to help me to win the best sister title by finding info for my sis, this is for some university marketing assignment thingee she has to do.
she need info on:
* economy class syndrome (deep vein thrombosis) and what airlines can do to prevent it.
* what passengers expect service wise
* recent technology that airlines can adopt to improve service
thx everyone http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence.

Nick Figaretto
20th Apr 2001, 10:12
I know SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) have developed a video that they show all PAX on long haul flights, showing exercises to prevent deep vein thrombosis.

------------------
"Pitching down the nose to take maximum advantage of the shape of this highly sophisticated airfoil..."

DISCOKID
20th Apr 2001, 13:14
There was an article in the Times yesterday about an inflight exercise device that a former BA pilot has developed to cut the risk of developing DVT.

Half a million of these devices have been ordered by Emirates.

Follow this link for the full story

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,72-117026,00.html

AffirmBrest
20th Apr 2001, 16:03
Many economy pax expect to receive a service not dissimliar to that which they would find in a first class restaurant, regardless of the fact that their ticket cost £29 and they are not the kind of people who would be allowed anywhere near said restaurant. But seeing as it is their only flight this year (not counting the return from Majorca) they eagerly await being fawned over like those they envy in their OK! magazine...

Most business pax care mainly about punctuality (on short-haul, anyway). They are not excited by the novelty and care little about the size of the meal etc. (their company has usually paid for the ticket). They do not need to watch the safety brief, in the event of an emergency the cabin crew will seek them out as indispensible to the British economy and look after them. Their mobile phones are more expensive than those in cattle class, and so they do not need to worry about whether the aircraft is in flight or that we are refuelling.

As for technology to improve service, how about really big seats so you can only fit 6 passengers on each flight, and have aeroplanes with really big wings so you can fly v. slow in order that a LHR-MAN flight actually takes enough time to serve a meal, drinks and tea/coffee?

To reduce risk of DVT you need SPACE to sit/lie in or move around in. More space = less seats = less money for airlines = seat cost goes up. There will always be enough demand for cheap tickets from those who decide to risk DVT that the airlines will never need to do anything practical to combat it.

Oh, except put a disclaimer on the back of the ticket so they can't be sued if you die.

(Sorry for being little real help, I don't really have the info but the bit about business pax and punctuality etc. is true, and my cynicism regarding airline response to DVT is genuine)

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 20 April 2001).]

PaulDeGearup
21st Apr 2001, 12:42
Tricky questions.

The DVT issue is primarily as a result of media hype. The "problem" has been around for years but due to media interest has been catapulted into the public eye. Susceptibility would appear to be a contributing factor: support stockings, minimal alcohol intake, plenty of water and some simple exercises help to reduce the risk.

Passenger expectation is, as Affirm says, based on the failure of airlines to represent economy class travel accurately. The glossy ads generally show business or first to highlight the level of service and comfort but the pricing ads quote the lowest fares in economy. Hence the disparity between expectation (what,s in the glossy,s] and reality - whats you get for £29 in economy.

Most pax know that the time in the tube is more or less fixed: you can get to JFk in 7 hours or 6 hours 50 - what,s 10 mins in 7 hours? But the real time savings can be made on the ground prior to and after flight. Improved boarding and check in so that hanging about is minimised: improved disembarkation and baggage recovery at the other end.

Problem there is that the airports rely on pax hanging about pre flight and spending money in the cafes, bars and shops. Also they want the waiting friends etc to the same at the destination, hence improving things isn,t really in their interest.

Big Red ' L '
23rd Apr 2001, 15:42
Hey D.D I thought you hated your sister..????

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

dingducky
29th Apr 2001, 19:10
i guess i am just far too nice! :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif :)

------------------
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence.