PDA

View Full Version : humberside

Chitty
30th Nov 2011, 14:28
it looks like ryanair will be returning to humberside next year with flights to alicante but flights are not on sale yet but ryanair has sorted its alicante flights for next year because doncaster and other airports have been droped from the drop down menu

horatio_b
30th Nov 2011, 19:40
don't quite follow the logic there - if Doncaster and other airports are dropping Alicante flights, what has Humberside got to offer them?

Danscowpie
30th Nov 2011, 20:07
don't quite follow the logic there - if Doncaster and other airports are dropping Alicante flights, what has Humberside got to offer them?

Quite simple, a fairly large catchment area in which, as you say, other airports cannot sustain (rather than dropping) Alicante flights, but HUY can.
If you live within 60 miles of HUY and want to go to Alicante with no alterantive but EMA, DSA or LBA, its a no brainer that you fly from HUY if the price is right.
I rather suspect that HUY Management will have had to agree to some fairly stringent commercial terms to ensure that Ryanair come back, but it gives the customer the choice to fly from there, which, in my experience means the same customers will seriously consider using their local airport next time around.

Cazza_fly
30th Nov 2011, 20:21
I rather suspect that HUY Management will have had to agree to some fairly stringent commercial terms to ensure that Ryanair come back, but it gives the customer the choice to fly from there, which, in my experience means the same customers will seriously consider using their local airport next time around.

Or rather a MAG-wide deal?

aeulad
2nd Dec 2011, 00:09
Whispers of Malaga coming back with flybe for S12!!

Regards

Mike

Danscowpie
2nd Dec 2011, 19:22
Or rather a MAG-wide deal?

Possible but unlikely.

The management of each airport is allowed to operate independantly of each other in virtually every commercial aspect and individual Airport Directors are expected to justify their profit or loss accordingly.

Indeed the airports compete directly with one another (an example is the perfectly legit' commerical deal Manchester have with train operators, which gives passengers from the North and the South Bank of the Humber willing to fly from Manchester, a very good deal on direct train services which operate direct to Manchester Airport for a very cheap fare. The trains are regular and efficient and also operate H24).

Its extremely unlikely that Ryanair would accept the same terms for operating into each airport, they'll be looking for the deal that suits them for each individual operation.

pottwiddler
2nd Dec 2011, 20:02
Possible but unlikely.

The management of each airport is allowed to operate independantly of each other in virtually every commercial aspect and individual Airport Directors are expected to justify their profit or loss accordingly.

This is true but I doubt that it has been agreed entirely locally, MAG is learning to flex it's combined muscles with airlines. I think it was a case of if you want to fly from MAN then fly from BOH and HUY too. (not sure about EMA tbh)
Each airport is independent but they enjoy group backing especially commercial. And other aspects for that matter.

pug
2nd Dec 2011, 22:48
MoL himself said the arrangement was completely independant of the MAG deal.. Clearly there is the commercial expertise to draw upon as a group, but I believe they operate as seperate commercial entities.