PDA

View Full Version : Help for Heroes needs our votes...

Cabbage_Crate
28th Nov 2011, 08:43
Please help H4H to win £50,000 in a competition where the winner is voted for by the public. H4H has been in the front for some days but has just been overtaken by another equally worthwhile charity. But it's votes that count and all of us can help to get H4H back in the lead. Competition closes at midnight next Sunday, 4 December.

You can vote by clcking here The Vote that Counts (http://www.votethatcounts.org/?utm_source=Help+for+Heroes+Charity+List&utm_campaign=17bacae902-Help_for_Heroes_December_Charity_Newsletter&utm_medium=email)

Thanks

daze_gone_buy
28th Nov 2011, 09:18
just done 125 behind

philrigger
28th Nov 2011, 10:35
;)

Done.

Phil.

McGoonagall
28th Nov 2011, 10:39
Dunnit. 154 down now.

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Nov 2011, 11:32
Done but still needs more votes :ok:

500N
28th Nov 2011, 11:38
To help I tried to do it but it wouldn't accept any of the post codes I tried,
including a previous UK address in Hereford.

Can you post a couple of valid post codes and I'll enter a couple of votes
- that's if if it will help.

merch
28th Nov 2011, 12:14
Try SE1 7SP or OX17 1LY, or SW1H 0BH

500N
28th Nov 2011, 12:40
merch

Thank you, have just added 5 more votes.

Cabbage_Crate
28th Nov 2011, 13:51
Good Man! Thank you...

Cabbage_Crate
28th Nov 2011, 13:52
...and thanks all of you!

500N
28th Nov 2011, 14:15
Cabbage Crate

I was over at arrse looking at something else and had a quick look for this subject but couldn't see it - that's not to say that it isn't there !).

I would think that they could generate a few votes.

diginagain
28th Nov 2011, 14:45
I would think that they could generate a few votes.

For whatever reason, and I think it's to do with salaried positions, Help For Heroes isn't held in as high a regard as you might think. RBL, Combat Stress and the home-grown Holidays4Heros get a lot of support.

Cabbage_Crate
28th Nov 2011, 14:59
"I was over at arrse looking at something else and had a quick look for this subject but couldn't see it"

Good idea - can anyone put it on please?

polyglory
28th Nov 2011, 15:31
Merch

Many thanks, have used one of the postal codes:D

Lingo Dan
28th Nov 2011, 16:23
That stupid voting mechanism requires the letter "é" in one of the words, and won't accept my input. Will try again later on

scorpion63
28th Nov 2011, 17:36
Posted and forwarded 16 requests to ex forces chaps and chapesses

500N
28th Nov 2011, 17:58
diginagain

Thanks for that. I understand. Similar discussions are held here about how much ends up at the "front end" of the charity due to "admin costs".

Anyway, I'll leave it for others to decide whether to support H4H but for me,
50k is still 50k and I'm happy to have spent my 10 minutes trying to help.

ArthurR
28th Nov 2011, 18:05
Thanks for the post codes Merch, accepted my vote, even with a German telephone number (mine)

Standby!
28th Nov 2011, 18:53
There is a button to share the link on face book too.

500N
28th Nov 2011, 19:14
Standby

Which also gives you another link to vote.

diginagain

I decided to have a read of the H4H web site and see what it says about costs etc.

IMHO, at least they address the issue of paid people in the FAQ section which is more than some do. From afar, they seem to get some things done and have a good range of people on board who I doubt would be on board if it wasn't that good and even as a minimum, at least with The Sun they have raised the issue of the wounded and kept it in the public eye, maybe even giving the Gov't a kick along ? I am happy to be corrected if any of the above is wrong.

foldingwings
28th Nov 2011, 21:30
Signed and forwarded the link to the 500 members of the Buccaneer Aircrew Association! That should help!

Foldie:cool:

Scribbly
28th Nov 2011, 21:41
Not sure they'll get my vote as I am led to believe they have a very small population of service personnel to support - eg: if you have been injured in Afg you will benefit from their funding. Brilliant, and very well deserved, but if you die in Afg your family gets nothing, and if you are injured or killed in NI, FI etc or on exercises you also get nothing. I am happy to be corrected, but in the meantime my pennies go the the RBL, Benevolent Funds, SSAFA, and any service charity that supports the wider, family population.

Fair play to them for raising awareness of injured service personnel though, and for kicking off the current interest in supporting our troops.

Corporal Clott
28th Nov 2011, 21:57
Scribbly :D

My thoughts exactly. I support the RAFBF, RAFA and St Dunstans for those very reasons. H4H get all the support they need, IMHO, at the expense of other just as well deserving service charities.

CPL Clott

500N
28th Nov 2011, 22:01
Scribbly
Interesting. I had a good read of the FAQ and it seems quite a few of your reasons are answered but maybe I am reading it the wrong way.

In regards to voting - or not in your case, non of the other service charities
are listed in the 12 that could win so voting for H4H isn't doing your other service charities out of anything anyway.

In fact, just by voting the H4H gets 2000 pounds but could provide them with 50K.

Cpl Clott
2 out of the 3 charities you mentioned are service specific and not supportive of the wider service groups. Also sounds like you are penalising the H4H for being better at marketing than the other charities which is why they have a higher profile.

Just my HO.

I just noticed the gap was closing between the top two !!!

bill2b
28th Nov 2011, 22:03
Agree there H4H has had a lot of support and deservedly so including loads of support me and my colleagues have raised through the RAF Motorsport activities but now the Military wives song "Wherever you are" is supporting :
"SSAFA and Royal British Legion"
Well worth a little investment imho :O

Military Wives Choir - Wherever You Are BBC - YouTube

Corporal Clott
28th Nov 2011, 22:10
500N

The very fact that the other Service charities are missing from the list is case in point. The PR machine that is H4H and their link to the Uk Media has damaged other Service charities significantly. I for one do not like this one bit and for this very reason McMillan gets my vote - they were very helpful to a jet jockey mate of mine in his final years of cancer.

CPL Clott

500N
28th Nov 2011, 22:18
Cpl Clott

We cross posted.

As I said before, it also sounds like you are penalising the H4H for being better at marketing than the other charities which is why they have a higher profile.

What is stopping the other charities doing the same thing with the Telegraph, Daily Mail or even better, The Times ?

Just like the 3 services use the media to push agenda's, which seems to be quite acceptable going by comments on various forums but it's not OK for H4H to use the media to raise awareness, generate support for the troops ?

Maybe it's time for a bit of marketing expertise to be injected into other organisations.

Also, assuming the first FAQ is true, why would you not go along with what a senior General suggested ? (As in raise funds to build a pool). Better to have someone like that on board than not.

Why duplicate what is already being done by other service charities ?

I am also of the understanding that far more wounded survive nowadays than in previous wars and therefore the higher number of injured need a higher level of and more rehab. Therefore by following General Dannatt's suggestion of a pool, isn't that helping in an area that is currently not catered for by the other service charities ?

I think the PRC's (Personnel Recovery Centres around the country are a great idea for helping the recovery of wounded soldiers.

H4H also donates to other Service charities, and here are 3 of the one's mentioned above by the other posters as reasons for not voting for H4H
- and I quote:-

St Dunstans
£1m grant is aimed at assisting the extension of the former North Wales Medical Centre In Llandudno which will be converted to create a state of the art rehabilitation centre, that will also provide training and respite for those injured.

RAFA
The grant was used in order to convert an ex-service families accommodation into a Contact House so that families of injured RAF personnel can be near them while at Selly Oak and providing disabled access to the house.

SSAFA
We have been delighted to donate £520K to aid the completion of the SSAFA Forces Help ‘Homes from Home’ appeal which now provides relatives' houses at Headley Court and Selly Oak.
"SSAFA Forces Help is delighted to receive the generous donation of £520,000 from Help for Heroes. The money is a significant contribution to our ‘Homes from Home’ appeal and will enable us to provide much needed support to our badly injured Servicemen and women and their families. We are extremely grateful to everyone who has worked so hard to raise money for Help for Heroes. We can assure them that, through SSAFA Forces Help’s new home near Selly Oak Hospital, it will be used to make a real difference to many lives. Families will soon be able to stay at the home and be close to their loved ones at a time when they are needed most."
Major General Andrew Cumming, Controller SSAFA Forces Help

Cpl Clott
"The PR machine that is H4H and their link to the Uk Media has damaged other Service charities significantly."
Seems to me that the charities you support (since 2 out of the 3 above you listed) do like the fact that H4H has raised money and awareness. Or are you going to suggest to your charities that they not take the money because H4H gets too much exposure already ?

I picked three of the other service charities from the list of over 20,
I am sure you can find the rest by going to the web site.

Have a good day.:O

DX Wombat
28th Nov 2011, 22:32
The denizens of Jet Blast have been informed. :ok:

avi8.5
29th Nov 2011, 11:39
Done 245 behind