PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulators

daver_777
28th Nov 2011, 05:40
Hi there,

I am currently trying to find out if there are any other twin engine helicopter simulators out there (military or civi)that use the old steam driven gauges (or if it has glass is capable of presenting old style dials).

Specifically I am after something that has a dial presentation for the triple tachometer (not the three bars that seems to have become the norm so no 'hawks').

It also needs to have roof mounted condition levers,

Needs motion and or visuals (but not necessarily both)

Needs to be close to NZ (whats close?, the UK is too far:=).

The Lynx MK3 sim is an ideal candidate but the only ones I know of are in the U.K. and Oman apparently? does anyone know of one closer to NZ that would meet these requirements?

OvertHawk
28th Nov 2011, 07:46
Flight Safety use to have a "Steam driven" S76 A/B sim in West Palm Beach - not sure if it's still there or not.

OH

212man
28th Nov 2011, 10:00
There's a B412 sim in Dubai, and in 2012 a couple more facilities coming online in SE Asia - a Dauphin in Singapore and an EC225 in KL (has a triple-tacho, though no engine levers.)

whats close?, the UK is too far)Flight Safety use to have a "Steam driven" S76 A/B sim in West Palm Beach :ok::ok:

SASless
28th Nov 2011, 10:09
NZ is at the very end of God's Own Green Earth...."close" ain't gonna happen....just more like which one might be "closer"!:ugh:

Troglodita
28th Nov 2011, 10:58
212 man,

Closest with old real glass and levers is probably S76 at West Palm! (12900 km)

CAE Mexico 412 is the closest that I know of at a mere 10900 km (Not sure how many direct flights from Sheep Land to Tequilaville though!)

CAE 412 in Bangalore is quite close at only 11600 km

CAE Dubai 412 is about 14300 km

UK a tad further at 19000 km.

Looks like a bunch of Air Miles whichever way they head! :E

Trog

212man
28th Nov 2011, 11:08
Thanks Trog - I shall re-consult my globe! I think Singapore's AS365 will be the closest when it comes online.

SASless
28th Nov 2011, 12:52
Trog.....that WPB Steamer is the original American Airlines Training Corp 76A Sim is it not....vintage 1980?

It had some interesting glitches in the software....like a two foot difference in the taxiway and parking apron in places....which was good fun to drive either "into" of "off of..." while taxiing around the place.

The Great Wall of Pahokee was another thrill....some very odd things happened when one flew into that and survived on the other side. It did reinforce the concept of "Fly the Machine!" Students thought we were doing some thing to them when in reality it was the Sim doing it all on its very own.

Troglodita
28th Nov 2011, 13:12
But SAS?

Would it accurately simulate a sudden stoppage of the main rotor if you had used too short a long line? :E:E:E

Maybe that is why the Kiwis need it!

Trog

daver_777
28th Nov 2011, 17:17
Thanks for your replies guys,:ok:

Sounds like an S76 A/B or Dauphin sim may do the job. Does anyone have any aircraft (or sim) cockpit photos that I could use for comparison?.

Regards

Daver_777