PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology of Black Humour

grow45
26th Nov 2011, 12:41
Having just come through a rough couple of years (Cancer - breast and kidney for my wife and almost simultaneous redundancy for me) when we made extensive use of black humour as a coping mechanism I wondered if there had been any clinical studies done into it and how and indeed if it really does help. We certainly believe it helped us keep positive and not seeing ourselves as "victims".

No particular reason for the query - just curiosity.

Thanks for any thoughts.

g45

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Nov 2011, 17:03
Black humour is the light at the end of the tunnel.

More importantly, in every profession that is concerned with major trauma has its own way of dealing with the stress, and black humour is it.

glf

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2011, 23:29
No particular reason for the query - just curiosity.

Oh, well, if it's kind of rhetorical . . . things for me are so crap right now, I'd be delighted to meet an AfroAmarican standup comedian, with a seriously sardonic sense of humor. Mind you, her having big tits would be more lightly to put a smile on my face.

gingernut
27th Nov 2011, 10:52
Have a chat to the lads in Headley Court, they are masters in the craft:)

goudie
27th Nov 2011, 13:11
Black Humour is not for the sensitive soul but it's used extensively in the Services and medical profession. Certainly helps one face the unthinkable

LH2
27th Nov 2011, 16:42
Black Humour is not for the sensitive soul but it's used extensively in the Services and medical profession. Certainly helps one face the unthinkable

As the above lad says. It does have a minor downside though--it's when you go home to your girlfriend/wife/parents/sensitive friend and say "Har! Har! I've heard this great joke today, let me tell you..." :ooh: :uhoh: