PDA

View Full Version : Bladder/bag Tanks

jxk
26th Nov 2011, 09:43
Has anyone got any experience with 'repairing' Superflexit bladder/bag tanks? I have located a repair station but wondered if there was a suitable chemical that could be painted on to cure the porosity.

NutLoose
26th Nov 2011, 10:41
We had a problem with a Baron tank that we sent away to get done in the UK, if I can find the company details I will let you know Monday, ours suffered it where the fuel was hitting the tank under the filler cap.

jxk
26th Nov 2011, 10:47
Thanks NutLoose. I have located someone in the UK who can repair bladder tanks but was just wondering if it was possible to do the repair myself using a suitable glue/gunge.

Kuchan
26th Nov 2011, 21:31
You can repair a small hole using the repair kit as stated in the fuel tank manual. It is very much like repairing a car tyre.

You can refer to B707 manual or other aircraft having a bag tank for the spec. of the adhesive etc. The AMM has the reference of the vendor selling it.

I have never known of a paint to seal the porosity of a bag tank. Also the adhesive paint would peel off and clog the fuel system.

However, we used to apply a layer of the red running Pro-Seal on top of PRC 1422 B1/2 sealant which was used to repair a SOLID integral tank. PRC 1422 is replaced by a quick setting sealant (PRC 1826/? B1/2) now. PRC is not the same adhesive for bag tank repair.

Terry McCassey
27th Nov 2011, 11:21
B707 bag tanks - oh deep joy ! The only bag tanks which provided me with more fun many years ago were the 7 fuselage bag tanks on the F4M, more happy days . . .