PDA

View Full Version : "Wherever you are"

bill2b
24th Nov 2011, 14:55
Hope everyone has seen the BBC program the Choir which has some military wives being trained to sing and do a concert at the Royal Albert Hall.
(on iplayer)
Well worth watching and hopefully it will keep the X or Y factor crap off the top of the christmas charts.

Chris Evans on R2 is doing his best :D

APG63
25th Nov 2011, 08:45
It was very good. Apart from the obvious, it gave great exposure to some of the issues that service families face. Well done, Gareth. It's here, by the way: BBC - The Choir - About Gareth Malone (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sing/choir/gareth.shtml)

The Nr Fairy
25th Nov 2011, 14:28
And watch out at 45 minutes in - second best bit of that episode !

chopd95
25th Nov 2011, 16:45
Thanks for the link APG63 - seems to be a lot of dust in the Lancashire air today

C130 Techie
25th Nov 2011, 17:42
Very good programme. It makes a change to be able watch something about real people doing something worthwhile instead of a bunch of jumped up so called celebrities. Their performance at the Festival Of Rememberance was very moving. A very talented group of ladies.

skua
25th Nov 2011, 17:50
I know Gareth got an Emmy award in LA this week, but he really deserves a UK gong.

I was lucky enough to be at the RAH and there was barely a dry eye in the house.

4Greens
26th Nov 2011, 00:44
Didnt have dry eyes throughout. Brilliant, must watch programme.

November4
26th Nov 2011, 06:18
Fantastic rendition at the RAH.

Single is released on the 19th Dec but available for digital download from 5th Dec. William Hill have it as 7/2 for the Christmas number 1 behind whatever X-Factor release. Proceeds to RBL and SSAFA FH

FaceBook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Wives-Choir-for-Christmas-Number-1/220700128002597?ref=ts&sk=wall) have set up a page to try and get this to number one which already stands at over 2400 "likes". This tactic worked a couple of years back and kept the X-Factor off No 1 (http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/15497735)

Courtney Mil
26th Nov 2011, 08:18
Outstanding. Thank you for starting worthy thread. And thank you APG63 for the link.

bill2b
26th Nov 2011, 19:32
Courtney MilOutstanding. Thank you for starting worthy thread. And thank you APG63 for the link.

Hi Courtney
Just thought I better mention the whole thing has nothing to do with me.
I am an ex RAF rigger of 23 years who left in 2001, I heard about this on R2, Obviously I don't watch programs about choirs but after hearing Chris Evans and listening to the song I had a look on I Player.
Absolutely fantastic IMHO.
I will be buying the "Record", "Single", "LP" or might even do the download so hopefully it will be number 1

:D:D

Hawksridge
4th Dec 2011, 19:40
Hi All

Just in case you missed the press hype on Friday (Chris Evans' breakfast show and the One show, where a small number of the 100 strong choir appeared live) and the newspaper coverage over the weekend, pushing this song for the Xmas No 1 slot, Decca have released the official video for the single here:

Wherever You Are (Military Wives with Gareth Malone) Official Video - YouTube

and you can pre-order the single, which will be released on 19 Dec 11 in both traditional and download formats, at any of the normal, reputable on-line dealers (Amazon, HMV, etc, but not I-tunes at the time of writing).

Worth mentioning that, in addition to the ladies themselves, a lot of people (including Gareth Malone, the Decca guys'n'gals, and a lot of other people behind the scenes) have given their time and effort for free in order to push this single towards the Christmas No 1 slot and raise some much needed money for the RBL and SSAFA.

Sorry of these seems like a shameless PR post - it probably is - but the lovely Mrs H is one of the fantastic choir ladies and I've seen first hand the effort that has gone into this recording and I really feel that these unsung hero's, who support us military types day in, day out, year after year, have finally generated some well deserved recognition for long-suffering Military Wives the world over. That, and the fact that money will be raised for 2 worthy, high profile military charities, deserves our support, I think.

You might want to have some tissues handy when you watch the video and listen to the words to the song, which were taken from letters passed between choir ladies and their partners while said partners were overseas, working hard in some not very nice places.
Cheers all
Hawksridge

paully
5th Dec 2011, 21:06
Simple, heartfelt and powerful.......These ladies are an inspiration :D:D:D...ordered my copy

Forgot to add, Decca, in the Torygraph this morning have confirmed there are more pre orders for this than any other competing song....got to be No 1 :D

Pheasant
5th Dec 2011, 21:13
It is on I-tunes

November4
5th Dec 2011, 22:02
TELLY choirmaster Gareth Malone’s Military Wives are set to hit No.1 after smashing pre-order records.

Wherever You Are is top of Amazon’s bestseller chart – two weeks before it is released.

The song, a tribute to serving soldiers, has already clocked up so many orders that bookies have slashed the odds on it beating the X Factor winner to the No1 spot on Christmas Day.

The single, with lyrics taken from love letters written by the women to partners in Afghanistan, is backed by DJ Chris Evans, 45, who said: “With a fair wind it’ll be a Christmas No1 – one that actually means something.

Daily Star (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/223927/Gareth-Malone-s-Military-Wives-record-sales/)....no I don't read it just the only article online that I could find about the sales progress

Whenurhappy
6th Dec 2011, 08:07
Through the benefit of a Treaty-Limited satellite dish, we're able to get a spread of UK channels. However, so much of the terrestrial channels are composed of 'reality' TV, I tend not to watch them...I prefer to watch the great selection of war movies on 'Movies for Men' like T'he Yangtse Incident', 'War Horse', 'Battle of the River Plate', etc...celebrating courage and victory, rather than faux celebrity status.

However, a few weeks ago I happened quite by chance to watch that episode of The Choir and was deeply moved by it - especially, as another poster has mentioned, the issues for those 'who also serve who stand and wait' - especially with the awful realisation that one or two of them were likely to become widows over the next 6 months.

Well done both the choir and Gareth Malone - inspiring.

GANNET FAN
6th Dec 2011, 08:53
One can only genuinely hope that this song is justly rewarded with the number one spot over Christmas. I guess I'm just sentimental but I would hate to see the X Factor song win over a beautiful song out of a really magnificent programme.

6Z3
6th Dec 2011, 09:30
Just to get that dreadful SARH thread off the top with a thread worth following

csde_armourer
6th Dec 2011, 14:01
Hawksridge, Thanks fer t'link. Missed the Ladies on 1-Show last Friday so just watched the vid now...

Seems to be a lost, or even "lots", of dust in the air in this part of England's Green and Wot'sit Land. Thanks.

Heading to iToons now...

Boslandew
6th Dec 2011, 14:15
Pardon my ignorance but if I download it from iTunes does that count toward the total sold and its No 1 chances? (I really must get into the 21st Century.)

airborne_artist
6th Dec 2011, 14:21
Yes Bos, it counts.

Boslandew
6th Dec 2011, 14:37
AA Much obliged. (My son thinks I still write with a quill pen)

I think 'Wherever You Are' is one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen, a lot of good people getting together to celebrate courage and duty and love and all the worthwhile virtues that these days get buried in a sea of cynicism.

I hope that Gareth, Paul Mealor and the ladies knock the spots off of any X-Factor competition. Samantha Stephenson must have a great future as a singer should she so wish.

6Z3
6th Dec 2011, 16:34
Simon C could do himself a favour and feature the good ladies as guests on the X-Factor Final, and at the same time pledge proceeds from the X-F release to a charity of his choice. WIN-WIN, Simple.

And if Strictly did the same, WIN-WIN-WIN:)

chopd95
6th Dec 2011, 20:41
Just did the pre-order thing, with obvious help from the sproggs, in spam speak, it must be a no brainer?

November4
6th Dec 2011, 21:02
And if Strictly did the same, WIN-WIN-WIN

from the "Military Wives Choir for Christmas Number 1" FaceBook group

As you probably know some of us will be performing on Strictly Come Dancing this weekend... Wish us luck! And thank you for your amazing support :-) X

Hawksridge
6th Dec 2011, 21:17
Some of them got to sing at Downing Street today too, both inside and outside for the PM and some troops recently back from Libya:

Video: Tidings Of Comfort And Joy - Sky News Video Player (http://news.sky.com/home/video/uk-news/video/16124864)

And, as previously noted, they'll be singing on Strictly at the weekend - the results show on Sunday, I think.

November4
20th Dec 2011, 14:37
Well done to the ladies...from MSN (http://music.uk.msn.com/features/all-bets-off-for-christmas-number-one)

All bets off for Christmas number one

With Ladbrokes suspending betting and Simon Cowell appearing to admit defeat via Twitter, it seems this year's Christmas number one is in the bag for the Military Wives…

For the second time in three years, it looks like the Christmas number one won't be going to the winner of X Factor.

Gareth Malone's choir, brought together on the BBC2 series, have released a single, Wherever You Are, inspired by letters to and from their soldier husbands which will raise money for forces' charities.

Ladbrokes have just closed the book on them as 1/20 favourites ahead of X Factor winners and current chart-toppers Little Mix at 8/1.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: "As far as punters are concerned it's a done deal. The money says the Military Wives will deservedly get this year's Christmas number one."

The choir, who have been backed by figures such as Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans, performed at this year's Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall and at the Strictly Come Dancing semi-finals.

Unlike three years ago when he branded the campaign to get Rage Against The Machine to the top ahead of Joe McElderry 'pathetic', Simon Cowell has been publicly gracious in defeat, congratulating the Military Wives via Twitter and calling their song "a worthy Christmas No.1".

Hope there is no last minute rush for the other titles

Edited to add - PPRuNe in that quoted should actually read a well know social network where you can use 140 characters to pass on a message (Twit...er... you didn't think Cowell would come here and say that?). It was auto changed....

wokkamate
20th Dec 2011, 17:25
Bump! :ok:

A.Agincourt
20th Dec 2011, 19:51
What those 'Ladies' [for that is what they are] acheived is a lesson to all of us and a shining example to their children. The one program this year worth watching again and certainly in my book, kicked the ass off all the other 'talent' type programs. It is number one in my house irrespective of the charts. I hope this saga does not end here.

Best Wishes

APG63
20th Dec 2011, 21:50
AA, well said. They are amazing and Gareth has pulled a blinder. I have oredered it to do my bit to help them on their way and for the charities.

Brava!!!!!

Navy_Adversary
20th Dec 2011, 22:50
I received my download from Play.com on Sunday morning, the other side of 'Wherever' is good as well.
Gareth for a gong next year?

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Dec 2011, 23:46
The Choir was on NZ Tv. last night, finished off that Graham wotsit (?) show that we get here late Friday nights.

Very good, hope it makes No. 1 - and a lot of cash.

ANAPROP
24th Dec 2011, 17:07
The beeb aired a 90 min compilation of the 3 part series on BBC 2 on Thursday evening. If you missed it its on iplayer at BBC iPlayer - The Choir: Military Wives: Compilation (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0195vs2/The_Choir_Military_Wives_Compilation/); have your hankies ready. There will also be a DVD released of the entire series in February, available for pre-order on Amazon at Amazon.co.uk: The Choir Series Four: Military Wives [DVD]: Gareth Malone: Film & TV

Enjoy, merry Christmas.

ShyTorque
24th Dec 2011, 23:44
Despite having been married to a "Military wife" for many years, (and glad that it's done so well) am I the only one to say in truth I'm becoming sick to the back teeth of hearing this song? R2 are even playing an instrumental version much of the time. It's seemingly inescapable. :uhoh:

Spurlash2
25th Dec 2011, 01:10
ShyTorque said:

am I the only one to say in truth I'm becoming sick to the back teeth of hearing this song?

Have you been drinking? ...again...:=

Hawksridge
25th Dec 2011, 01:11
Shytorque, while I suspect you're not the only one, I hope you're in the minority. This song is raising tens of thousands of pounds for 2 well deserving military charities and the more exposure it gets, the better. Being married to one of the lovely choir ladies, I'm obviously biased, but I've seen first hand the hard work that these girls have put in to promoting this single for no personal reward at all (and believe me, none of them ever expected it to be recorded, let alone be a Christmas number 1) and regardless of whether you've heard it enough or not, it deserves continued recognition for what it is and they are - an honest, straightforward, non commercial song by a bunch of girls who have gained some well deserved recognition for the unsung heroes that are military wives.

Merry Christmas to all.......

Spurlash2
25th Dec 2011, 01:16
Nice one, Hawksridge,

Merry Christmas to your fantastic 'other half'. Good Skills.

fallmonk
25th Dec 2011, 08:18
Do wee know if it Has it made the Xmas No1?
I know it was No1 last week, fingers crossed it stays their especially as it would get the new award to celebrate the 60th(?) anniversary of the chart's (this is the first one this week )
I bought a few as Christmas pressis to give and Push up its numbers.
Well done to all involved , every ones proud off yous

6Z3
25th Dec 2011, 08:32
I tend to agree with both sides of the discussion (diplomacy's the key), but in the words of another great number one hit: "I can't get you out of my head" !!

ShyTorque
25th Dec 2011, 08:48
I have bought the CD, btw! It's just that I'm not playing it for now because as R2 listeners.....well , you know. ;)

In any case, Merry Christmas to all and especially to the ladies of the choir! :D

6Z3
25th Dec 2011, 09:07
Bugger, I can't get I can't get you out of my head out of my head now. Thanks must go to the composer of catchy melodies, who ever, and wherever you are.......agh, could here all day.

Navy_Adversary
25th Dec 2011, 09:14
Very well put Hawksridge, is there a full CD in the pipeline?:ok:
Can't get you out of my head seems popular, who was it by, Kylie?:8
Season Greetings:)

Hawksridge
25th Dec 2011, 13:01
It was indeed the lovely Ms Minogue. As for an album...... It's a 'wait and see' just now.

Courtney Mil
25th Dec 2011, 14:00
The Christmas number one! Outstanding. Well done Gareth for doing it. Well done the Military Wives for having the detemination to see this through and bravery to get up and do it.

Now the public knows a little more, let's hope it isn't forgotten too quickly.

The CD is on my list.

Wander00
25th Dec 2011, 14:39
Watched the omnibus programme the other night. Hugely impressed by Gareth's skills (the next "Leadership" vehicle?"), and the dignity, energy and commitment of the women. Very, very well done, everyone, especially at hitting the No1 spot. (Also a personal grin at the smug smile wiped off Cowell's face). However, at one point in the TV show there was an implication that there was a lack of support from the town for the RM at what I remember as RAF Chivenor. I am sure that cannot be true, and I hope some way can be found to put that part of the record straight. I have n o doubt but that the people of Barnstaple are very proud of the achievement of their military neighbours, those who fight and those that sing.

bill2b
25th Dec 2011, 15:35
Superb news
Well done to everyone who bought a copy (I bought 3)
I have watched the full program a few times now and still think its an amazing achievement by all involved
Merry Chrimbo everyone

November4
26th Dec 2011, 13:41
Excellent! Well done to all involved. Can only guess how much nerve it took to sing live at the RAH for those not used to being in the spotlight.

Tankertrashnav
26th Dec 2011, 16:37
A fantastic achievement, firstly to the ladies of the choir and to Gareth Malone who has done it again. What a lot of nerve it took to sing at the Albert Hall, and now getting the Christmas No 1 spot tops it all.

I have to admit though I'm with Shy Torque in that I dont care if I never hear the song again - once at RAH was quite enough for me, but I hasten to add it's the song I can't stand, not the ladies' rendition of same. Anyway, what the hell do they care about what I think!

Well done ladies :ok:

SOSL
31st Dec 2011, 15:35
Just watched the episode with the performance at the RAH. Deep respect to the wives and to Gareth. The source of the words was a very original idea and very moving. Can't judge the musical merit 'cause I'm just an engineer, but I loved it!

SOS

Bismark
31st Dec 2011, 16:01
Just been looking at RAF News in 'Smiths - what an awful paper when compared to Navy News. However, front page is (effectively) "RAF Wives Choir Christmas Number One!". I thought "Hey, have I been led astray by the Military Wives Choir?" But no, somehow the Mil Wives have been hijacked by RAF News and portrayed as an RAF Choir....not bad for a SAR Flt!

That aside, the Mil Wives have probably done more for the cause of those left at home than any attempt by the Personnel staff. Well done ladies!

SOSL
31st Dec 2011, 16:39
I'm with you; well done ladies.

The wives were proud to be the representatives of all military wives and I respect them for that.

It does you no credit to introduce pseudo inter-service nonsense like this.

Best wishes SOS

Bismark
31st Dec 2011, 16:55
Don't blame me, blame RAF News.

SOSL
1st Jan 2012, 05:14
Sorry, Bis - I didn't read your post properly. You were quite right about the RAF News.

SOS

Al R
3rd Jan 2012, 06:45
That aside, the Mil Wives have probably done more for the cause of those left at home than any attempt by the Personnel staff. Well done ladies!

A half decent baritone may have spoiled the high notes, but it would have added to the political correctness. So, at the risk of resorting to nit picking, pointless modern faux outrage, and certainly not wanting to diminish this superb effort for some great causes, lets not forget the blokes who keep the home fires burning in ever increasing numbers these days too and also, lets not forget that its also the girls who send letters from the front. After all, I woz one of 'em! ;)

(bloke at home, that is!)

Regie Mental
3rd Jan 2012, 10:04
The programme itself made no mention of the RAF involvement and much of the media coverage refers to 'Army Wives Choir'. As an RAF publication why shouldn't RAF News highlight the light blue element for it's light blue readership?

It's not inter-service rivalry or high-jacking, the opening lines of the front page piece reads:

'A song released by a choir featuring RAF spouses is odd-on favourite for the Christmas Number 1 slot. Wherever You Are, by the Military Wives Choir, is on track.....'

And on page 6:

'The Military Wives Choir featuring seven RAF spouses are set to have.....

In the previous edition:

'Star DJ Chris Evans is backing a bid by RAF and Army wives to top ......

'A group of seven RAF wives featured in the recent BBC series The Choir, which brought together the partners of serving members of the Armed Forces to perform...

Bis/SOSL - did you read the articles?

6Z3
3rd Jan 2012, 10:10
Since when were the Royal Marines Army?

airborne_artist
3rd Jan 2012, 12:14
6Z3 - I suspect that 98% of the population reckon that the RM is a sub-section of the Army. They wear green after all :ok:

It works like this:

All chaps/chapesses who walk/take a vehicle to battle are Army.

All who fly to battle are RAF.

All who float on/under the ocean are Navy.

http://www.inflexion-point.com/Portals/41408/images/simples%20jpg.jpg

FODPlod
3rd Jan 2012, 12:27
In the previous edition [of RAF News]:

'Star DJ Chris Evans is backing a bid by RAF and Army wives to top ......

Come to that, since when was the Royal Navy either RAF or Army?Our Girls are No.1 (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/225007/Our-girls-are-NO-1/)
VICTORIA Forth, 28, a mum of two from Plymouth, has been married to Royal Navy submariner Leading Engineering Technician Tim Forth, 28, for six years. Her love letter to “my sexy sexy Superman”’ and his response “I Love You Goodnight My Princess” appear in the official video on YouTube.

“I was in Downing Street singing last week, people came up to me and said the song made them cry. Getting to number one is a way for them to show support for the Armed Forces and their wives. It’s pretty tough as when Tim goes away he’s out of contact for months. We are planning a big welcome when they come back and will probably sing the song. I think I’ll cry singing that to my own husband. I joined the choir just to have somewhere to go when he’s away, it was fun. I didn’t know who Gareth Malone was and had to Google him.”...

MightyGem
4th Jan 2012, 01:50
Since a lot of them were Royal Engineers:
24 Commando Engineer Regiment - British Army Website (http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/units/835.aspx)

Easy Street
4th Jan 2012, 07:06
Save all the inter-service bellyaching - the basic fact, correctly identified by Bismark, is that the RAF News is a dreadful publication. It's rare enough to see accurate or spin-free reporting on single-service issues within its worthless pages, so it's hardly surprising they make a pig's ear of a 'joint' story.

Climebear
4th Jan 2012, 08:06
MG

Quote:

Since a lot of them were Royal Engineers:
24 Commando Engineer Regiment - British Army Website

Nope they are Commandos not Royal Marines.

While the vast majority of Royal Marines are Commandos (apart from the bands) not all Commandos are Royal Marines. There are a significant number of Army in 3 Cdo Bde including Sappers, artillery (http://www.army.mod.uk/artillery/units/29_cmdo_regt_ra/default%20.aspx) and a bn of infantry (http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/5613.aspx).

Hawksridge
22nd Jan 2012, 10:33
The Military Wives Choir have been nominated for 'Best British Single of 2011' in The Brit awards 2012, for their single 'Wherever You Are'. These girls have worked incredibly hard, both publicly and behind the scenes, and have raised hundreds of thousands of pounds so far for the RBL and SSAFA.

The single is still selling (I think they were number 14 in last weeks charts), but the girls really need votes from the public to help them on their next quest, which is to win a Brits award. If you liked the single and choir, please cast your vote;

Cast your vote | The BRIT Awards 2012 (http://www.brits.co.uk/voting)

...and your support is appreciated. Far from being 'one hit wonders' and melting into the background, the Choir goes from strength to strength and has expanded to become a national military wives choir,with choirs at Catterick, Portsmouth, Lympstone among other places, coming on board. They are all busy working on their next projects, details of which are under wraps for now but will become clear very soon!
Thanks
H.

Ripline
22nd Jan 2012, 11:03
Love to - but gave up on the Brits registration page. Authentication of the 5-digit visual code doesn't seem to equate with reality in either visual nor audio form, depite over 10 attempts. (Can manage the PPrune one without problems).

Maybe I'll try again in a day or two. Most frustrating as I really wanted to support this one.....

Ripline

AED24
22nd Jan 2012, 15:01
After a very tedious registration process, I managed to register a vote for these very inspiring ladies. As well as the worthy charitable contribution raised through this song, our ladies have also managed to make the wider public aware that our Armed Forces are also about lifestyle (not just job) and community.

10W
22nd Jan 2012, 15:46
Ripline,

Same story with me. Over 10 attempts at the word verification and all incorrect.

I guess another try on Monday is in order.

Wander00
22nd Jan 2012, 19:04
Worked OK for me - spreading the word!

kokpit
22nd Jan 2012, 19:13
Gave on on the registration too, after 6 attempts, will have another go in a day or so.....

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
22nd Jan 2012, 20:55
;)

I too gave up after a dozen attempts.
I will try again tomorrow.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

After a further 7 goes I finally did it. What a crap site.

MightyGem
22nd Jan 2012, 22:30
Same problem here. Email of complaint sent.

MattGray
23rd Jan 2012, 01:41
Good to see the project receiving recognition elsewhere (http://www.usatoday.com/video/news/military-wives-choir-tops-uk-charts/1339464992001). :ok:

Gerry Mobbs
23rd Jan 2012, 09:32
Just worked first time!

Ripline
23rd Jan 2012, 10:12
Oh. It just worked 2nd time this morning. What a lot of faff for a one-off voting site! I'm sure it will be all worth while come the day.

The transormation from "IT Professional" to " some old guy with a computer" is not without it's own sense of irony.....:D

Ripline

MightyGem
23rd Jan 2012, 21:48
Worked first time tonight. Perhaps someone has fixed it.

Let's try that again
24th Jan 2012, 08:28
Also worked for me first time.

1.3VStall
24th Jan 2012, 10:16
Worked first time for me too!:ok: