PDA

View Full Version : Cancer at EK

fourgolds
24th Nov 2011, 20:06
I am aware of 3 guys with cancer ( thats just in my social circle ) , I know that serious illness at EK is indeed so rife now that to ignore it would be complete ignorance . I suspect the insurance we think we have with IPEP or LIPS may in fact be severely challenged as these funds will face enormous challenges to meet the potential demand for payouts as 900hrs+ rosters remain forecast indefinately into the future. Can anyone recommend a private insurance for loss of income or medical and most importantly life insurance. I have written to BUPA , but any one else ?
Appreciate any vectors you may have.

Tks 4G´s

Not from here
25th Nov 2011, 03:42
The EPC is working on a group Medical coverage to top up the EK scheme in case of serious illness and something that can transportable when you leave. From my sources launch date is January next year:)

fourgolds
25th Nov 2011, 04:33
Many thanks gents.

Spoogie
25th Nov 2011, 06:38
Hey there...Fourgolds...I am in the UAE and I was recently introduced to A.P.P.N
which operates from France. It is open to pilots globally and I recently signed up. They offer all of the insurance coverage you requested, from Temp loss of Lic, Life Insurance and Permanent Loss of lic. To be more specific, its an organization which uses AXA plus Macif and Generalli insurance to provide the coverage. The website is in French but if you give them a call they will be happy to give you more information. The coverage is payable in Euro. Here is the website....check it out.

Spoogz

Association de Prvoyance du Personnel Navigant (http://www.appn.asso.fr/)

KangarooFlyer
25th Nov 2011, 21:50
When I first saw the title of this thread, I wondered who or what corrosive issue we were going to be talking about. I never imagined that it would really, literally, be about cancer.

Spoogie
25th Nov 2011, 22:16
Hey, I am not sure if that is so. While you may be correct, when I was registering there were two options. If you were below the age of 40 then there was a slightly lower premium compared to being above 40. Could you double check to make sure that no one above age 50 can join.

Spoogz:ok:

vfenext
26th Nov 2011, 02:40
It's not about cancer, it's about health insurance!

jibba_jabba
26th Nov 2011, 06:28
This is interesting, is it a well known problem amoungst westerners in the M.E? Or is it sun or habit related illness? e.g smoking cause?

Kernow 101
27th Nov 2011, 11:24
How much do you have to pay (roughly) per month for the family medical cover with Emirates. I am looking at coming out and have wife & 2 young Kids (3 & 5) to cover. I know it will depend on age etc, but just a ball park figure for my budget planning. Thanks.

what_goes_up
27th Nov 2011, 11:38
How much do you have to pay (roughly) per month for the family medical cover with Emirates. I am looking at coming out and have wife & 2 young Kids (3 & 5) to cover. I know it will depend on age etc, but just a ball park figure for my budget planning. Thanks.
In your case it would be 360 DHS. (210 wife, 75 each child)

knifedge
27th Nov 2011, 16:13
Dear Collegues,

I was expecting replys on how to stop or prevent cancer, or about stadistics among EK pilots with this problem, or something a bit deeper in thoughts; rather than how to have money once you are about to die. The health prblem comes before the money. OK, Having insurance is good, but HEY Please comment on how to work on the health problem, otherwise We sound a bit st..id, don't We ?

Are You not selling insurance, may be ?

Trader
27th Nov 2011, 16:37
Sorry knifedge- but without good health coverage (insurance, company or gov't provided) you don't have much chance with any of these 'expensive' health issues.

The MOST important thing you can do is make sure you and your family are covered financially.

jack schidt
28th Nov 2011, 13:58
Emirates takes little care in the rates of exposure to its pilots of harmful radiation. In a previous airline the QRH had a Deg N vs FL vs time of day vs date that would predict exposure. It was amazing to see that above FL350 the exposure rate rapidly increased. What is more of an issue are areas over the pole and through know holes in the Ionosphere.

Radiation in the cockpit today is like smoking in the 60s. There is a significant risk but no one really acknowledges it currently!

Visual Procedures
29th Nov 2011, 06:20
JS..

Next time you go for your medical at the clinic ask for your radiation printout. You will get a print out of every flight that you have done at EK, the associated 'radiation' level for that flight. Also included in this printout will be all known x-ray/MRI's etc that you've done all added up to a running total for the year to date.

Don't mistake your lack of 'awareness' on this issue for EK's. :=

Just sayin.. ;)

knifedge
30th Nov 2011, 17:35
I must admit Trader both angles are important. Let's hope EK starts looking at it to protect our health.