PDA

View Full Version : Luton - is it worth it

1papa
24th Nov 2011, 07:53
Luton airport possibly the quietest airport in the world!!

In for a base check this week and I think I saw one aircraft taxi by....Always remember it being a hive of activity.

I think there was a change of ramp management with Servisair as well....apparently the decent guy that came from LHR and tried to sort it has left?? The great escape :D

pabely
24th Nov 2011, 08:30
Maybe you last visited when there was only one entry point to the main apron? Approaching 10M pax again and VVIP movements still on increase, but this week with US thanksgiving holidays, it might be been quieter on that side.

Buster the Bear
24th Nov 2011, 08:57
Movements at most UK airports decline with the introduction of the winter schedules. Even Ryanair have one of their Luton based aircraft sitting around doing nothing for short durations during the week.

Arrive at 07:00 and watch the Wizz invasion!

jabird
24th Nov 2011, 12:00
cc, the bags are £1 at BHX too.

At least LTN still has pax, unlike CVT, and RIP PLH

TOWTEAMBASE
24th Nov 2011, 12:07
1PAPA

you talking about the small bloke with the chip on his shoulder.....didnt know him very well did you. spent more time being a weekend warrior than he did trouble shooting trust me

easyflyer83
24th Nov 2011, 12:21
If that is a pop at Easyjet (amongst others) isn't their biggest base at LGW aswell as LTN and STN?

runway08
24th Nov 2011, 13:17
There is a Luton thread, If people want to trash talk with zero facts why not just post there and let everyone enlighten them. PAX numbers at Luton keep going up while most other places aren't... Get over it. ;)

monkeytennis
24th Nov 2011, 16:27
You think it's quiet there? Have you visited Doncaster Robin Hood Sheffield International Airport recently??:bored:

adfly
24th Nov 2011, 16:35
How about Bournemouth - 1 passenger Departure and arrival each day for most of the week (normally the Based Thomson 738) or two when Blue Islands also operate in November!!

Kingfisher
24th Nov 2011, 18:50
Try flying in between 6am and 7am.

Peter47
24th Nov 2011, 19:08
The winter ski traffic has not started yet.

chubbychopper
24th Nov 2011, 19:39
I would be absolutely delighted to see that sh1thole of an airport go bust!

As crew I am privileged to be employed by owners who choose REAL London airports to fly into, rather than PRETEND ones such as Luton, Southend, Oxford (and get this) Lydd.

Of all the above Luton takes the biscuit for being the worst of the worst. It is truly a KARSY of an airport....designed in the 60's, and still stuck there......but with 2020 prices for all SLF pax..........£3 for priority through security, £1 for plastic bags which are free everywhere else.

WTF has Luton got to offer anyone? I hope they go bust real soon.

Beer_n_Tabs
24th Nov 2011, 20:18
As crew I am privileged to be employed by owners who choose REAL London airports to fly into

Maybe you should remember that word.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdeHL0nTHX2kdH64q8uzrL4zV9UZS40O96Zf1HUEF 1AdQg_UadEg

pabely
25th Nov 2011, 09:23
But that's all being addressed in the near future..... What should 1papa care though, one movement is like Oxford or Lydd, sorry they ain't 24x7 CAT3 etc. etc.

Luton is still the No.1 choice for none based VVIP movements with the £100M investment which has been made at FAB.

Just look at the CAA stats, Luton is doing well, it (as any airport) will not go bust. It suffers from location problems but has a vast catchment area which people have access to.

The bigger issue is London should have had a mega airport in Bucks built 30 years ago!

Eddie Ginley
25th Nov 2011, 12:07
One of the oldest maxims of civil aviation: - Airlines go bust, Airports don't...:O (well not very often)

Evanelpus
25th Nov 2011, 14:02
Of all the above Luton takes the biscuit for being the worst of the worst. It is truly a KARSY of an airport....designed in the 60's, and still stuck there......but with 2020 prices for all SLF pax..........£3 for priority through security, £1 for plastic bags which are free everywhere else.

WTF has Luton got to offer anyone?

As Luton is my 'home' airport, it pains me to agree with the above. There is no doubt that Luton has tried to drag itself into the 21st century but the roads leading into the car park/terminal area is a direct throwback to a 60's airfield.