PDA

View Full Version : Flight training in Finland - Pori academy

jester1-1
23rd Nov 2011, 17:51
Hey
I'm looking into moving to Finland to conduct my training, since my wife is Finnish anyway and it's much cheaper there. The catch is I have to be fluent in Finnish, but I'm learning anyway. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of the academy, or even training in Finland in general, since it doesn't seem to be much covered here. My language skills aren't yet sufficient to search Finnish message boards, so thought I'd try here first.

Any info would be appreciated! :)

captain.weird
23rd Nov 2011, 21:57
I thought that Finnair has his own Flight Training Centre with their own ab initio pilots right? Why don't you give it a try over there? If you would be given the position to be a ab initio for Finnair, why not? Wonderfull job with a nice future for you I think.. their are plenty of chances inside that company, that's for sure..

747JJ
23rd Nov 2011, 22:23
There are FTO's in Finland. But Finland is NOT cheaper. It is the 4th most expensive country in the world and most expensive Euro-zone country. As for training. Some schools have a program with UK schools for theoretical distance learning, again this is more expensive than buying the product directly from UK. The upside is that language used for training is Queens English. If you have a chance to do training in UK, I suggest you search that possibility first and then consider Finland. If money is no object then by all means Finland is your place. Be prepared to dish out around 110 thousand euros for basic training (CPL) not including your living costs depending on taste and style from 1000 a month to up to unlimited in the capital area. People live with considerably less money but how they live is another matter.

The Finnish Aviation Academy selections are similar to airlines and the cost of the training is very reasonable for the student. There are very limited positions each year and Finnish language is an entry requirement, and cannot be waived for what are considered local students.