PDA

View Full Version : Perth Airport - the future development?

nivsy
22nd Nov 2011, 15:19
As Perth is likely to become my "home" in the not too distant future what exactly is happening to the airport?

I know (having passed through the airport on a number of occasions) that the domestic/international set up is a bit of a nightmare with such distance between the terminals and that congestion at boarding gates (as experienced) can be fairly regular. Also (Qantas excepted) I can hardly believe that it costs money to transfer nbetween domestic and international. Rip off or what?

Will Perth airport end up as an airport that all the locals can be proud of?

Nivsy

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Nov 2011, 07:36
An airport we can be proud of??......Aye, there's the rub...

In future years when the 'airport managers' transfer ALL terminals to the 'International' side, and the traffic on the Tonkin H'way is backed waaay up to heeere, and the small 'ring road' within the airport is full with traffic from over that way, then it will be a dog's breakfast' IMHO.

I know about the BIG FED sponsored improvements - PHOOEY!

And the second N/S runway..?? Ain't holdin me breath.
Take a 'cut lunch' for your taxying time....

I haven't been 'proud' of any facility - Fed or State - since they were 'privatised'.
Rip-off merchants the lot of them!!!

There - but I am BIASED!!:yuk::yuk:

p.s. Rotsa Ruck - and WELCOME TO SUNNY PERTH!!:ok::ok:

YPJT
29th Nov 2011, 09:16
I sat in on a presentation by Perth Airport recently showing their plans to further develop the internatiional side. It all looks pretty impressive with the nice computer graphics but without a parallel 03 / 21 it probably isn't going to achieve much to relieve the congestion during the morning peak departure times. There are plans afoot for the extra runway but as Griffo said, don't hold your breath. There will be quite a bit of lease resumption required along the light industrial strip between T1 and Tonkin hwy to make that happen.

Also planned are hwy flyovers for the Horrie Miller dve and Leach hwy intersections on Tonkin hwy which hopefully will aleviate that painfull bottleneck that occurs both ways along there every morning and afternoon.

I had a box load of their big glossy bruchures but promptly put them in the bin. There is also some information on their website (http://www.perthairport.com.au/AboutUs/AirportRedevelopment/TransformationofPerthAirport.aspx)