PDA

View Full Version : Airservices College Manager Sacked

desert-er
22nd Nov 2011, 05:05
AM sacked by JW. Replaced by (wait for it ) RS. Yes the coathanger king.
What are these people thinking. Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.

craigieburn
22nd Nov 2011, 05:35
RS - AKA "The Gimp"
I wonder if they had security in the meeting with the threat to remove her forcibly? 'Aint karma a bitch!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Pavement
22nd Nov 2011, 08:58
It gets funnier. Boy wonder to move from GM to head up a review of the academy. No doubt to move to GM ATC if that becomes available through promotion!!!

I believe that 'Plane Talking' exposing systemic training issues led to the crucifixion.

ferris
22nd Nov 2011, 09:04
Could someone PM me with names and details, please?

gobbledock
22nd Nov 2011, 10:58
I know where she will pop up next, somewhere that those very same talents can be exercised to the full - Fort Fumble.
She will make a fine addition to CASA. All that bureaucratic experience, a reputation for incompetence and arrogance, not to mention the ability and knowledge of how to spin up figures and waste taxpayer money...oh yes, a fine likely addition indeed.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2011, 20:28
Ding Dong................

RS - At least the bloke is an ATC and has actually worked in the college as an instructor.

And I got more filthy rumours that indicate it isn't finished at AM :}

When the full story of the product that was produced by AM gets out, once again the stakeholders are entitled to ask if their money was spent wisely.

Another ASA training experiment gone wrong :cool:

unrestricted
22nd Nov 2011, 20:43
Why is it so hard to hire competent staff ? Don't the board pay any attention at all ?

It's about time I returned OS.:confused::confused:

av8trflying
23rd Nov 2011, 03:14
Who is the boy wonder you are talking about. Is it AR?

Jack Ranga
23rd Nov 2011, 05:21
Boy wonder referred to above is S.A.

Pavement
23rd Nov 2011, 07:41
Correct but has matured and prefers his full first name :)

TFN and his crew were told many times about the college probs. Im guessing it will be another coat of teflon.

How many apointed and sacked now? Must be well over a dozen GMs alone.

Homesick-Angel
23rd Nov 2011, 07:49
For f#cks sake!!!
You guys are ATCers, professional communicators no less, and I still can't work out what the hell your on about.:}

Wallsofchina
23rd Nov 2011, 07:57
I can't work out what they're saying when they're ON duty.

jas24zzk
23rd Nov 2011, 10:46
I can't work out what they're saying when they're ON duty.

It can be like that. Tho only ever ask em to say again once....ask a second time and you get broken glass for a reply. If you don't get it the second time, just say Negative....muhaha.

Jack Ranga
23rd Nov 2011, 11:12
Should you really be in charge of an aircraft if you need to be told something 3 times?? :}

jas24zzk
23rd Nov 2011, 12:46
Should you be issuing instructions with a mouthfull of biscuits? :}

Keeping comments in perspective, I've never had cause to complain about ATC staff. My personal experience has always been positive :ok:

konstantin
23rd Nov 2011, 20:55
Yeah, puts this into context?

Our values

Excellence – we are the best we can be

Or not...

Shook my head when I heard about that one.

Perhaps the most famous quote from the late Victor Chernomyrdin (and this is now virtually a proverb/aphorism in the Russky speaking world) may be more appropriate...

"We tried our best, but it turned out as always."

sixtiesrelic
23rd Nov 2011, 22:32
A mate of mine related this story to us.

Sacked person's famous question many months after being in the position to staff, after attending an important cocktail party with 'THE MINISTER' and being tackled by Chief pilots of VB and SIA who asked about all the extra miles of useless flying in SIDS and STARS:- Why can't the planes out of Sydney going to Brisbane take off on the north runway and the ones flying West take off on that runway and the ones for Melbourne and Hobart take off on 16?

The word is she still doesn't know and doesn't think she needs to know why they can't.

Managers manage. They reckon they don't have to know anything about the industry they're managing.

She'll be replaced by an equally incompetent 'manager' whith the same ideas.
That's how the world we live in works.

Glad I'm out of the industry!

Nautilus Blue
24th Nov 2011, 01:01
At least the bloke is an ATC

WAS, a very long time ago and for not very long. Given that he was manager 'Workforce Capability', a job only recently created, it will be interesting to see if he is replaced, or another bold initiative will be quietly euthanised.

PS Point of order, its a 'Learning Academy', not some mere college :rolleyes:

Jack Ranga
24th Nov 2011, 14:07
Well, she was part of the 'ATC hate club' well known to bag ATC's in public. It kind of amused me to wonder how you can run a training college when you despise the end product!

And as far as RS was concerned, he was an instructor in the college when I was there. So he's done a stint as an ATC and an instructor in the environment which he'll manage. At least it's a step in the right direction.

le Pingouin
24th Nov 2011, 17:11
The problem is RS is very much more a manager now than a controller, and what he does remember of ATC has a very rosy hue. Shall we say it's a step back from the brink?

Jack Ranga
24th Nov 2011, 21:15
Should you be issuing instructions with a mouthfull of biscuits?

They were Cherry Ripes mate :ugh:

:}

yarrayarra
25th Nov 2011, 21:29
Rumour only: minister Albanese fed info in recent BOS involving recently rated controller and their training etc. urgent Board meeting called where heads required to roll. Manager removed and question being asked: "why didn't we know ?" everyone else did know but TFN not interested in hearing what he needed to hear - only what he WANTED to hear. Always been happy to shoot the messenger hence, nobody spoke the truth.

Jack Ranga
26th Nov 2011, 01:51
Yeah, dunno. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, as far as managers go he ain't exactly a role model. It's got to better than her.

P&C has lost ATC selection as well apparently......Yaaaaaaay.

le Pingouin
26th Nov 2011, 02:14
I think P & C started taking more of a back seat with the new recruitment process. Not before time as they seemed more interested in corporate citizenship than anything. AM was probably cut from the same cloth - playing her own game as opposed to doing the job.

Kharon
26th Nov 2011, 07:14
Guys and Guyettes; there is clearly a good yarn here.

ATS is NOT usually this cryptic, operationally speaking, (barring Cheery ripe episodes). But there are some pretty serious folk looking at the whole air services situation.

Would someone, anyone, please explain the intricacies of this post. Happy to support the ATC services, (there I said it), but 'we' need the unvarnished (or near enough) story.

Why is this an event. Happy to 'stand by', if absolutely necessary.

craigieburn
26th Nov 2011, 07:46
Kharon, it is a story because the numpties in Canberra saw fit to put an ex NAB person in charge of the training of ATC. Very quickly into her tenure it became obvious that not only was she totally out of her depth, she had no concept of what ATC was about, in fact, she considered controllers overpaid and underworked clerks.
The fact that such a person was placed in such a role has only reinforced the opinion of those at the coalface that the corporatisation of Airservices has placed emphasis on the bottom line not on the core business of keeping the planes apart.
What also did not help was very early on, said manager saw fit to call a new class of recruits into an office and threaten them all with the sack (with the head of security standing at the back of the room with the stated instruction to physically remove any person who opened their mouth) because a few had the temerity to question why they were lied to about the length of the training.
A childish, petty out of her depth nuffy who will not be missed

max1
26th Nov 2011, 09:20
There is a credible story going around that TFN got the gig because he promised the Howard pollies to have everyone at ASA on AWAs.
Ideology above common sense. Great idea to have people whose first concern should be with safety should change this to the bottom line.
TFN has stuck to this idea until lately. Bye bye others and now AM. Self preservation. The spotlight is starting to to focus, I give TFN less than 6 months. His reign will take 10-15 years to undo. I will be long gone and feel for the organisation and all those (most) who really care.
When will the worm turn, and we start to put people in to positions who care about building businesses and organisations again?

Kharon
26th Nov 2011, 10:32
Much appreciate the 'thumbnail dipped in tar'. etc. Are you all sure CASA is still not running you're outfit; sounds all too familiar.

Wouldn't it would be great if we drove 'em, passengers rode 'em and you guys stopped 'em arriving at the same point in the time space continuum.

Rawhide?. Best wishes etc. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

boree3
27th Nov 2011, 10:32
Bye bye others and now AM

How many others? My memory is not that good but I'd say lots. What a mess.

Funnily enough we have roughly the same number of controllers we had 5 years ago. The number of newly rated controllers in that period is anybody's guess. I'll punt on 100 as we had bugger all trainees until recently. The trouble is the other 800 odd are now 5 years older with a large % not far from pulling the pin. I won't mention the odd departures to aisles 4 or 5.

I'll say it again. What a mess!

Some of the "enlightened" ones in the AWB appear to be jumping ship before the inevitable.

Maybe we need a "no b-//$hit" forum to try and sort out the mess. Hang on, we tried that before didn't we? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

unrestricted
28th Nov 2011, 01:32
:cool:The rumour is that those that manage are in the process of importing some Kiwis to fill the gaps so that they will have no pressure with the next EBA negotiations. Will they end up like so many other globals and head home shortly after arrival ?

cbradio
28th Nov 2011, 19:02
Importing some MORE Kiwis

Fixed!!!!!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Nov 2011, 05:43
Is it the 'plan' to pay them in Kiwi Dollars....??

Where did I hear that before........???
:eek:

willadvise
29th Nov 2011, 13:00
I still haven't seen anything from management about her " seeking other opportunites" But she is listed as left asa as of last Friday according to the avnet find someone function. When are our esteemed leaders going to enlighten us?

dingle dongle
30th Nov 2011, 04:13
Will there be any changes?
I doubt it. She brought in the new term for students to PRODUCT.
That is the attitude of management who have mostly never had a position where they can go to prison for a mistake, to people who can, every day they do their job.
Product! what a beauty.
She probably will get a little present to take with her as a reward for her stuffups.

Jack Ranga
30th Nov 2011, 04:31
There will be changes, even if it's by osmosis. No-one, NO-ONE could be as bad as her :ugh:

I'd like to see what she has exposed ASA to as far as legal action goes. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye (obviously!)

Will the imbecile responsible for her employment take responsibility for the damage she has done to the training environment? Nah, didn't think so........

stevep64
4th Dec 2011, 10:57
Bit of a worry that I have an offer of employment letter with her signature on it :\

Jack Ranga
4th Dec 2011, 13:07
It'll be 'no worries' now mate :ok:

Sunfish
4th Dec 2011, 17:47
"Product" indeed! This dehumanising term tells me all I need to know. You poor bastards.

boree3
4th Dec 2011, 19:05
:*:*"Product" indeed! This dehumanising term tells me all I need to know. You poor bastards.

Sunfish. Most of us that have been around for more than a few years have had no "input" from the Learning Academy. However, the stories are legendary of the slow but sure degradation of what has been "delivered" to recent trainees. I say "delivered" quite deliberately as we have been extremely short of instructors for some time. As a result we have heard stories of students doing exercises in the simulator with no instructor present!

Those of us with years under our belt despair at what has happened. For many years we had a pass rate probably double what the pass rate has been recently. It's not rocket science but it wasn't good enough for some. As a result many recent recruits have not had the best quality training we could have provided and, as a result, many potentially long and rewarding careers
have been cut short.

Now we are having another internal " review/enquiry". Gosh! It has 3 months to come up with something. Why not ask a few people who were in the college before it became a "Learning Academy" what they think is wrong? I reckon they could turn it around in 3 months given sufficient resources and a free hand. Will that happen? No. Spin over substance every time.:*

Baileys
5th Dec 2011, 04:22
Boree 3 - there you go thinking again - will you ever learn!!