PDA

View Full Version : Retard Vehicle to go ADSB

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 02:10
The time has come for some of us to lead the way :E and the Retard Vehicle -10 is getting its early Christmas present.

A WX-500 stormscope integrated into the GNS530W and a GTX330ES ADSB transponder. :ok:

So money where mouth is some would say. ;)

Anybody need a good 2 1/2 year old GTX327 in perfect condition? Will be available for a fairly good price in a few weeks.

Anyone else buying their beloved anything new and exciting for xmas?

Dangnammit
22nd Nov 2011, 02:14
We'll track you on flightradar24 when it's up and running

morno
22nd Nov 2011, 03:11
Jaba, coming from someone who has ADS-B in most of the aircraft I fly, you will not regret it. I haven't had to make a position report for yonks and it's the way everyone should be going now. The nay-sayers who are against ADS-B need their heads read.

Am I reading right though that you're taking your normal transponder out?

Now if only we had ADS-B in, then I could track you on the TCAS and steer well clear, :}.

morno

baswell
22nd Nov 2011, 03:17
The nay-sayers who are against ADS-B need their heads read.
I don't know anyone who does not want the capability and functionality of ADS-B.

It's just that most balk at the cost for something that could be done so much cheaper if it were de-coupled from the transponder and done with modern (not 1970s) technology. :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Nov 2011, 03:59
A WX-500 stormscope integrated into the GNS530W and a GTX330ES ADSB transponder. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

One ride in the Stormscope equipped Mooooooooooooney, and you went out an bought one, huh?

Interesting!

The Retard Vehicle will be as slow as the Mo if you keep going down that path Jaba.

Dr :8

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 04:04
You need a TSO 145/146 device to feed it and they are around $5K +/- a bit depending on the type and model and so on.

Now if only we had ADS-B in, then I could track you on the TCAS and steer well clear, http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif.

I am investigating the IN as well for the sole purpose of keeping an eye on you.....and your mates Jamjar, TKFS.....and others :E

aroa
22nd Nov 2011, 04:04
Just read the article in the Oct Nov Air and Space....Lost in America.
And Oz.
For a private aircraft full ADS B benefits come a great cost.. and is no guarantee in remote no signal / blocked signal areas that you'll be found if you crash out. "ADS-B...is not meant to hunt for missing a/c"

On the other hand, "breadcrumb" GPS tracking via satellite knows where you at all times...

And with GPS positioned aircraft symbol on yr moving map flight screen..any prob with a position report?.

I know where my $$s would be spent.

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 04:06
One ride in the Stormscope equipped Mooooooooooooney, and you went out an bought one, huh?

Interesting!

The Retard Vehicle will be as slow as the Mo if you keep going down that path Jaba.

NOPE

The WX-500 project was under way before the Slo-Mo experience.

And it will never be that lethargic :eek:

Frank Arouet
22nd Nov 2011, 05:25
Groan;:hmm:

(batteries not included).:{

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 05:37
Hey Frank, stop ya moaning, I will cut you a really good deal on the GTX327 if you like.

Half the price of a Microair even. :ok:

jas24zzk
22nd Nov 2011, 06:33

I saw no mention of jaba buying an anchor.....:p

chimbu warrior
22nd Nov 2011, 07:42
The ideal aircraft has wings, tailskid and an oil pressure guage. Anything more is just extra weight and drag................!

jas24zzk
22nd Nov 2011, 07:57
Anything more is just extra weight and drag................!

So testicular icing induced drag is more preferable to a warm cabin??

ROFL

OZBUSDRIVER
22nd Nov 2011, 08:03
Jaba...:ok: Way to go!

Morno, you will still see him.

Frank Arouet
22nd Nov 2011, 08:17
Jaba;

Check your PM's.

Wally Mk2
22nd Nov 2011, 09:18
Hey 'jaba' ya can put all the techno crap in yr RV 'till the cows come home buddy but it still ain't safe enuf for me IFR!!!!:E

Wmk2

aroa
22nd Nov 2011, 10:01
chimbu is correct. In Canada I saw a Luscombe on floats that had sunk, pulled fom the water, washed in fresh, dried, engine emptied and re-oiled.
On day two it flew away... all the instruments were in a bucket of kero in the back... except for the oil pressure gauge, in the panel.
Pilot returned to base by eyeballs Mk1 TSO, wrist watch and map.
Prob didnt need 2 and three...just keep Canada on the left and wait.
But he did want to know how happy the donk was.!

Arnold E
22nd Nov 2011, 10:11
Hey Jabba , got me gtx330 in my RV as well, so someone will be able to "see" me.:ok:

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 10:24
The ideal aircraft has wings, tailskid and an oil pressure guage. Anything more is just extra weight and drag................!

Ahhh yes, but the ideal aircraft you refer to with Chimbu Warrior at the tiller was spotted by my MKII eyeballs doing a few circuits yesterday, not going too far or very fast either. As Chimbu Chuckles says, a perfectly good "Point A to Point A aeroplane" :}

But in your Big Balus bilong Boeing/Airbus you love these information sources I bet :E.

And what about knocking back my offer of a frosty cold Coopers Pale Ale.:=

Heehehehe :ok:

morno
22nd Nov 2011, 10:40
Jaba, that new 'transponder', does it provide the same functionality as a normal transponder as well? Or is it exclusively ADS-B?

morno

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2011, 20:00
Yes morno, basically the 327 with the adsb ES added to it.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2011, 20:48
Jaba,

Keep that up you'll be building panels for punters!

Jamair
25th Nov 2011, 01:31
Let's see...... the black wire connects to the freps....... the cannon plug goes to port 'A'.......... the secondary harness is linked into the 7-point plug while the RS232 input runs laterally across the base of the chassis tray and must only connect to the blue input socket........ the suction cup is placed on a anteriolateral surface in a perpendovertical plane but must not exceed 27.3 mm from the direct axis of the second rivet counting from the left....... there must not be any electrical storms within 328NM...... :ugh::mad::eek::uhoh:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/jaba002.jpg

AHH FCUK IT LET'S JUST FLY THE PHUCKIN THING.......

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/jaba001.jpg

mmmmmmm, much better :):D

Damn fine way to spend an afternoon, finished off with a beaut steak & coupla coldies.........We won't discuss what you said to the barmaid though.......:rolleyes: :eek:

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2011, 02:59
I think its time....................for Just For Men - Welcome (http://www.justformen.com/) :sad:

You are a funny bugger Jamjar :}

But the skin mapping test the next morning after the storms went away was interesting. If you ever want a stormscope fitted make sure the skin mapping test is done first.

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2011, 03:04
So has noboddy else bought their pride and joy any expensive upgrades for Christmas?

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Nov 2011, 03:56
So has noboddy else bought their pride and joy any expensive upgrades for Christmas?

Geez you are a brave man Jaba!

If I suggested that my "pride and joy" needed an expensive upgrade, I would be out on the street before I could say, "No! I didn't mean you, darling"!

Dr :8

aroa
25th Nov 2011, 05:27
Yep... going to put a battery in the old J2 so I can pull that handle thingy hanging out of the panel so it will contact the starter and fire up the motor.
That will make the 'armstrong' one redundant, and make it a more relaxed start up. Less exercise tho.

And not only that...Ive invested in improving the user-terrain interface... a spray can of perspex cleaner. All the better to see the GAFA out there with.
Perspex being the No 1 navaid... you look out thru it.

J2 deserves an upgrade, having just given it new fabric and paint.

Whoohoo.. grass hopping shortly.! :ok:

baswell
25th Nov 2011, 08:08
Trying to sell my pride and joy so I can buy a share in another pride and joy that's got 55 Kt on the current one and can go up side down. At night if you have to!

Enough of an upgrade?

frigatebird
25th Nov 2011, 11:58
A fresh (extensive)100 hourly for flights with the family over Christmas - and to meet the dawn over Fraser on New Years Day ....:ok:

CHAIRMAN
25th Nov 2011, 13:01
I'm thinking NVFR Tiger.
Easy 55 kt gain on a powered parachute:ok:
Go for it!

baswell
25th Nov 2011, 20:21
Easy there tiger boy, mine's only a powered parachute on short final with 50 degrees flaps out! :D

I taxied a tiger once, would make a nice four seater for the family. Do they make them IFR?

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2011, 20:35
I think the Chairperson was meaning MOTH as is DH. The Grumman Tiger is a nice machine, one at ycab maybe two actually in IFR trim.

Frigatebird we expect pictures of course!

Jabawocky
26th Nov 2011, 04:17
self castoring nose wheel can be fun to work out.

Self castoring? It has a mind of its own? Nahh you need to get out more. It is like a tail wheel on the front. Use rudder and brakes.....just keep off the brakes as much as you can.

Overall it is far better than them Cessna/Piper things whether it is a Grumman or an RV.

J:E

jas24zzk
26th Nov 2011, 11:27
+1 for the Tiger, tho to type n00bs the self castoring nose wheel can be fun to work out.

Never done the numbers against the Archer tho, as it is supposedly a comparable machine