PDA

View Full Version : Software on PDA for TCO

Flyerfan
21st Nov 2011, 17:44
Does anyone know of any software systems that a TCO can use to capture the aircraft side turnaround events such as cargo, fuelling, cleaning, catering etc?

In theory, if these events (and timings) can be captured electronically during the turnaround process, they could provide some very useful data on whether service providers are performing to their SLA's whether or not the flight is delayed.

Do the details of these events only get captured with pen and paper at the moment, and if useful, do you think the guys in the Board Room would sign off (i.e. spend money) this type of technology, or have they got other stuff to worry about?

Thanks all.

PT6A
22nd Nov 2011, 09:58
The times... Door open etc are already sent via ACARS... In the event of a delay the crew attach a delay code to the automatic ACARS OUT/OFF message.

Irish Grinch
22nd Nov 2011, 20:00
There are companies out there that supply this type of equipment.

Friendly Dispatcher
23rd Nov 2011, 08:52
What I would like most as a TCO/TRM?Dispatcher)

A pen that writes in any weather and waterproof paper! In fact make it a clipboard with its own microclimate!

Did BA not recently experiment with red caps using PDA type devices for some parts of the job? I see a few flight crews recently using i-pad based software for check flights and the like, so I'd guess it's only a matter of time before some of the more adventurous ground handlers invest in some i-pads or similar for turnaround co-ordinators, but I don't think they'll ever be widely used across all the network in the major providers.

A radio that works would be useful though

mantug01
23rd Nov 2011, 12:48
Damarel Systems International - Do You Need Your Handheld? (http://www.damarel.com/latest/handheld-handling.html)

RATT (Real-time Aircraft Turnaround Tool) (http://www.avtura.com/products/ratt/)

Bigbluebroxi
23rd Nov 2011, 15:32
I dont see how this would be much of an improvement to be honest.

A TCO/TRC/TRM/Dispatcher or whatever you like to call them, if they are good at their job, will be recording times accurately with pen and paper anyway.

If they arent doing so then having a hand held device to do it isnt going to make any difference to them.

What would be a better investment by companies is to actually pay these staff an appopriate wage so that people of the corrrect calibre can be attracted to the role and retained for an extended period of time.

What I would like most as a TCO/TRM?Dispatcher)depending on whichever airline im dealing with) is a proper winter jacket, and radio that works properly and colleagues that know what the word communicate means!!

Flyerfan
23rd Nov 2011, 15:51
Thanks all.

Grinch have you used any of them?

Flyerfan

Irish Grinch
24th Nov 2011, 17:02
No but I'm sure Servisair trialled them at MAN a few years back.

Know they are out there but very expensive.

Dropline
29th Nov 2011, 18:25
The idea of a PDA with the software/systems I need to do my job is a good one and would be useful. However having trialled one of these devices, I can tell you that capturing real time data on a hand held device is not practical.

As despatcher or TCO you can't possibly see every single thing as it happens - how do I record the time cleaning finishes if I'm down on the ramp recording the time the fuelling started or the baggage offload finished? How do I record the doors opening time while using both my hands to open the door? I already have a clipboard, ear defenders and radio to carry - this is just one more item to cart around while also trying to drive an airbridge, open and close doors, pull boarding cards and carry pushchairs, not to mention trying to complete a manual loadsheet. Electronic real time data capture is great in theory but completely impractical in real life. Most of our times are "guesstimates" anyway - the only time we need to be 100% accurate is when we attribute a delay to a service provider. The data would be no more accurate than if it was recorded by pen and paper, so why bother?

Flyerfan
30th Nov 2011, 22:08
Dropline

Those are very valid points.

Which system did you trial as a matter of interest and for how long? I take it you are not using it now. Was the non take up solely for the reasons you have given?

antonovman
20th Dec 2011, 15:54
I worked for DNATA in DXB and they had them but not all the guys liked using them