PDA

View Full Version : IR Revalidation Question

kitcarflyer
21st Nov 2011, 15:13
Hi, A quick question: Although my UK/ JAR Instrument Rating is always current via my Multi-Pilot type rating at work it is about 10 years since I last had Single-Pilot IR validity.

I'm thinking about renewing my Single-Pilot IR entitlement (probably on SEP as I always keep that current anyway).

Having read through LASORS on the subject I'm not quite sure of the official administrative procedures for this specific case.

Is it considered that my IR rating as such is valid on the strength of the MPA-IR qualification and therefore a straightforward REVALIDATION (without CAA involvement/ payment) is required to regain the SPA-IR or is it considered that the SPA "half" of the IR has lapsed (by 10 years or so) and therefore a RENEWAL (with CAA involvement/ payment) would be required?

In other words, regarding the quoted "7 year expiry" rule, does the MPA-IR qualification keep the SPA-IR part "warm" ready for a simple revalidation, even though expired by 10+ years or does it have no bearing on this?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

madlandrover
21st Nov 2011, 16:57
Yes, it keeps it "warm", as would any ICAO IR :ok:, although it would be a renewal - as you say, the SPA-IR has lapsed. But with an industry CRE/IRR rather than a CAA IRE.

kitcarflyer
22nd Nov 2011, 09:01
Many thanks for your reply Madlandrover - very useful! I thought it would be a "renewal" but wasn't completely sure from the wording in LASORS who with. Thank goodness it's not with the CAA - well I wouldn't have bothered at all to do it if it was...! Cheers.