PDA

View Full Version : jump seats - worth asking?

southdowns
7th Mar 2002, 10:07
I'm flying BA Heathrow to Lisbon tomorrow. Wondering what the position is now with jump seat requests - is it worth asking?. .. .TIA

7th Mar 2002, 13:43
A lot of airlines imposed a complete ban on this after 09/11. Of course it's at the Captain's discression at the end of the day.. .. .You could ask, but a refusal is even more likely than before!

whats_it_doing_now?
7th Mar 2002, 13:54
Not really worth asking i'm afraid. You can try, but i know what answer you will get! Unfortunate really, but if you want a quick chat to the chaps at the pointy end, you can ask to see them before push back, if there's time, they should be accomodating.

Fast Jet Wannabe
7th Mar 2002, 15:50
Yes ask!. .. .I post this every now and again, but its true! I personally got a jump seat landing on a flight from India to the UK in December. I didn't bother asking on the way out, and on the return I thought I'd try my luck. It worked. The Captains justification was along the lines of "I've been flying for 30 years......". .. .This was an aircraft belonging to a well known UK airline, and as such, was on the G- register.. .. .Why not ask? They can only say "no". (Which of course is more likely).. .. .Good luck.

Hand Solo
7th Mar 2002, 17:15
No don't bother. Jump seat rides are strictly prohibited now on BA unless you are staff. Absolutely no chance whatsoever, though you can probably have a look in the flight deck on the ground if you ask nicely. Not the same really!

Volume
8th Mar 2002, 11:58
On my last 4 rides with a big german carrier in the last weeks I asked for a complete flight on the jumpseat. Got two rejections and two very nice complete rides in the cockpit right in front of the new reeinforced cocpit door.. .So just try, you might be lucky.

Jetdriver
8th Mar 2002, 18:34
The only people who should be on the flightdeck are the crew and possibly any family member or friend who has been properly authorized by the company.. .. .There may be some interpretation of what constitutes "properly authorized" but I would have thought that sanctioning a passenger request seems to make something of a mockery of the intention of the prohibition.. .The post above that states...(the author) got "two rides in front of the new reinforced cockpit door" ought to caused a raised eyebrow.. .. .Each country has its own regulations on matters of security however the UK D.O.T would most definetaly frown on such action.

Semaphore Sam
10th Mar 2002, 02:16
Hi Jetdriver. .I disagree with you, but understand your thrust. Since the '20s, and through my start in the '60's, jumpseat authorities for pax have not been lightly given. But, when someone obviously bitten with the aviation bug (especially a kid) wants access to our world, pilots have allowed it (even when against their companies' policies). Of course, present conditions put any captain at extreme career risk to allow such cockpit visits. In the long run, however, the b*****ds of Sept 11 can't be allowed to dictate change to our traditions; otherwise, they win again. Eventually, the 1-day attack (Sept 11) will not be allowed to obviate the traditions of 80 years; cockpit visits will be resumed.

411A
10th Mar 2002, 02:49
....don't bet on it.

Lucifer
11th Mar 2002, 01:57
The BA policy is that anybody on the jump seat be BA staff, or persons who are known to the crew. This allows crew family to remain there the whole flight, or possibly those on staff tickets who are related to BA staff with whom the crew are familiar. The policy still remains to some extent at the Captain's discretion, however it is highly unlikely that any ordinary passengers will be admitted in flight. May as well ask if you want a look post-flight though.

AdamUK
13th Apr 2002, 17:33
Flew jump seat CDG to LHX 2 weeks ago no problem - regular BA Exec Club Flyer, and that's probably what swung it. Always ask .

Hand Solo
13th Apr 2002, 18:09
Well best not shout about it too loud 'cos if the firm find out about it then both flight crew will be up on disciplinaries.

gofer
14th Apr 2002, 05:19
There arn't so many of us flying on the direct CDG to "La Junta Municipal Airport" any more :D - its more difficult on the LHR or LAX flights - and HS is absolutely right - the less said, the more people will be convinced its a NO GO so they won't try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best promotion for terrorism is publicity - long live D Notices

Pandora
14th Apr 2002, 18:11
Recent letter from the P of D himself tells us not to even put our best friend on the jumpseat without written permission. Relatives are permitted so long as they don't leave the jumpseat even for a wee.