21st Nov 2011, 08:14
Gents,

Anyone heard of any developments in this area. Quick research shows:
- Discussion paper 091105 released Dec 09
- DP comments closed Feb 10
- Braslia crash Mar 10
- NPRM 1007OS released Oct 10
- NPRM comments closed Jan 11

NPRM predicted CAO 40.0 and CAO 82.0 would be amended 1 July 11. I know we are not even 6 months late yet, but can't find any revised estimates on the CASA website.:ok:

cficare
21st Nov 2011, 08:35
..like the rest of the industry...who cares.....

Sarcs
21st Nov 2011, 09:09
..like the rest of the industry...who cares.....
Probably the families of the next crew killed in a totally avoidable training accident!!:ugh:

Grogmonster
21st Nov 2011, 09:31
I have to say that anyone with half a brain would use a sim if there was one available. My two bobs worth.

Groggy

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Nov 2011, 14:16
It is a good idea, but does up the cost of recurrent training to a new high.

Managed for years doing recurrents on dead legs...NO COST

glf

compressor stall
21st Nov 2011, 19:21
Managed for years doing recurrents on dead legs...NO COST

Yep no cost at all. It's small change to you then having an airframe upside down in the weeds with two pilots killed. :ugh::ugh:

If there's a sim it should be used for V1 cuts, EFATO etc.

Fission
22nd Nov 2011, 02:43
I died in a Sim Session once and I was very happy to still be alive.

As were my family...

Repeat after me....."V1 cuts in the real thing are a false economy"

Sarcs
22nd Nov 2011, 03:34
I died in the sim conducting an assymetric x-wind landing, ended up sticking the RH wing into the ground and totalled the aircraft. Very impressive manoeuvre:D!! I know not to do that again, which is a bit different to not being able to do it again!

Falling Leaf
22nd Nov 2011, 05:14
Hi Gents. Was not intending this thread to be a debate on the merits of doing emergencies in the Sim vs the aircraft. From CASA's and the ATSB's perspective, that argument seems to be over - the window for submissions closed back in Jan. What I was asking is whether anyone had had contact from CASA about the expected implementation date. From what I can see it is coming, just when?

Sarcs
22nd Nov 2011, 05:38
Falling Leaf sorry about the ah..thread drift! I see what you mean about the implementation date having passed, hopefully it is not another case of CASA waiting till no-one is looking and then shelve it!:ugh:

Why don't you e-mail this bloke: [email protected] and find out what the hell is going on?

jas24zzk
22nd Nov 2011, 06:38
FL,
given CASA's other highspeed implemenatation timings, might I suggest you ask us again in 23 years.................................:sad:

scarediecat
22nd Nov 2011, 07:13
What I heard was back in mid 2010 CASA really was serious about implementing the mandatory use of Flight sims (if one was in the country only). The ball was rolling, it was about to happen.....but, then a few industry heavy weights (who I don't have any idea who they are) used their influence to stop the implementation of this plan. I believe cost was one reason given. I have also heard that CASA are still serious about implementing the mandatory use of sims so I don't believe the idea has entirely disappeared. I hope it is made mandatory one day, maybe we just have to wait a little longer for the effected organisations to fully digest the concept. Who knows.

Falling Leaf
22nd Nov 2011, 08:56
Hi Sarcs, Yes I will contact the CASA PM for this, but thought before I did to put it out there to see if anyone had heard from their friendly FOI what the planned implementation timeline might be. I'll update everyone on what the latest is from CASA once I know.:)