PDA

View Full Version : Garuda

iraqi
21st Nov 2011, 06:15
Hi,
I was wondering if any one has flown Garuda and what they think of the service and the overall travel experience.
I usually fly emirates but this time I am considering taking Garuda from Dubai to Amsterdam.
All feedback welcome.
Thanks in Advance

bob johns
21st Nov 2011, 09:27
I have been a casual observer--,over the years ., have travelled a few times (at company expense ) and have the opinion that GARUDA means Goes All Right Under Dutch Aministration !! Would nt pay for the privelidge

Saint Jack
21st Nov 2011, 09:58
Perhaps there was a time when this was an airline of last resort, but not now. I've been flying on Garuda regularly for a number of years and find them perfectly acceptable - and getting better. The airline is going through a fleet revamp and the cabin service standards are rising, for example how many airlines can boast an onboard immigration service. I believe the only thing holding them back is the legacy of their past, once this is overcome they'll be up there with the best of Asia. Go ahead, iraqi, and give them a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - and if you do fly with them let us know your thoughts.

iraqi
21st Nov 2011, 12:58
thanks guys... bought the ticket today and will be travelling on friday.
will update you on the flight.

thanks

Mr Mac
21st Nov 2011, 17:38
Only flown SH within SE asia recently (2yrs ago) and they seemed ok, could not comment on LH sevice. They got a bit harry in the 1980,s when I had some truly "intresting" flights in small Fokker jets in the monsoon period around Indonesia. GARUDA I was told used to mean Good Airline Run Under Dutch Administration but it was ment as a back handed compliment. Please give feed back after your trip, as alternatives to the normal are always useful to know about.

Rush2112
24th Nov 2011, 05:50
A couple of months back Mrs R was conducting a survey of various PT Telkom sites around Indonesia and the company she was working with decided to fly in and out of Jakarta each day, so in the space of a week she went to Lombok, Batam, Banjarmasin and Padang. All the flights were on new-ish 737-somethings, and with one exception, a 20 minute delay, all were spot on time.

Yesterday she was in Jogyakarta and had flow CGK - YOG - CGK, again on GA and again, totally fine.

It is a fact that they were certainly not good a few years back but that is no longer true.

merlinxx
24th Nov 2011, 09:34
Good And Reliable Under Dutch Aministration but that was then, not since:mad:

Wycombe
24th Nov 2011, 22:38
Have done some marathon routings back in the 90's on GA, eg LGW-AUH-BKK-CGK-DPS (phew, good job it was relaxing Bali when we got there!) and despite their reputation at the time for being "the cheapest for a reason", it was all perfectly acceptable from what I can recall.

On the trip I detailed above, we were a bit late into CGK late in the evening and the final DPS run of the day (DC10 crammed to the rafters) was held at the gate for us to make the transfer, must have been 30 mins or less and our bags made it as well :D

iraqi
25th Nov 2011, 13:21
Just did the dxb-ams leg on garuda.... Not bad.... Plane a330-200 seats a bit uncomfortable... But then its economy. Service/food nice.
Entertainment, was video on demand which is great...movies are the latest.
Would definitley use them again should i need to do that route again, as they are at least 50% the rates Ek and KLM charging.

Thanks for all your feedback

Hotel Tango
25th Nov 2011, 13:41
I believe they have quite cheap and good Business Class too. What keeps me away though is that I don't know to what standards the crews are trained. Indonesia is not one of aviation's safer nations. And was Garuda not banned from European airspace not that long ago?