PDA

View Full Version : flying show NEC november 2011

ashdaman
20th Nov 2011, 21:27
Hi im thinking of going to the flying show on sunday 27th november, im currently doing my ppl! has anybody ever been to a previous 1 if so is it usefull in anyway? Thanks :hmm:

GyroSteve
21st Nov 2011, 06:02
Quite a mixture of hardware on display - microlights, foot-launched, gyroplanes, homebuilt permit machines. All good stuff if you are interested in the world outside flying-club spam-cans. There is also a seminar programme, so there might be something there for you too.

If you thinking of buying any aviation hardware (headset, GPS, nav equipment etc) then all of the usual vendors are there and its a great opportunity to be able to look at all of the various options instead of just buying on-line. Sometyimes there are good deals available too.

ashdaman
21st Nov 2011, 19:51
Thanks guys, think im going to give it ago
im looking for a headset at the moment so prob a gd place to shop, possibly david clark as they seem most popular :ok:

BristolScout
22nd Nov 2011, 17:43
Ashdaman.
DC headsets are very good, per se, but they're not particularly clever at mixing with other makes. I don't want to contravene the advertising caveats on the forum but, suffice to say, some of the cheaper headsets are more than adequate for GA use.

Whopity
23rd Nov 2011, 08:54
The mixing of headsets is really an Intercom issue. If two headsets have different characteristics (internal resistance), they will cause a problem if operated in parallel no matter who made them. If the Intercom isolates each headset as it should do, then there are not likely to be any issues. After many years of repairing headsets that have been abused by Pilots, DCs are about the best build of the lot.

The Birmingham show is very much a Microlight show but usually very good. For many years it was held at Telford. Microlighters tend to use different types of headsets to suit their aircraft and comms systems.

BristolScout
23rd Nov 2011, 13:09
Whopity,

What you say is quite correct. Where I'm coming from is everyday interactions in a busy flying school where, almost invariably, if two pilots go out to fly with a DC and A N Other headset, they have a problem, which is resolved by replacing the DC with almost any other make. Couldn't agree more that DC is by far the best build quality.