PDA

View Full Version : Temora big "once in a year" display

cficare
20th Nov 2011, 09:11
It's come and gone...any thoughts?

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2011, 09:36
I wish I had taken a camera :ugh:, but a mate of mine did and he will have some good pics which I might get to share.

The formation of the FA18 with the Kitty Hawk, Spitfire, Meteor and Sabre was a very good effort.

Was a great day. Hot and dusty....but awesome :ok:

cficare
20th Nov 2011, 09:43
heard on the grape vine that the seperation of gold and general punters was a bit of a worry....good to hear the display was good.

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2011, 10:16
Not sure what you mean about that, I was a guest of the Aust Warbirds, and I must thank them for their .....uhmmmm shade! :O

I did get to catch up with Warbo and his awesome Fury :ok:. He had it flown by one of the display pilots. It looked the sexiest of all of them now that I think about it. And that is a tough call.

I was sent this link to another site....hope it works, Warbirds Downunder - Temora 19/11/11 - Page 2 - Sydney Airport Message Board (http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7579&page=2)

Capn Bloggs
20th Nov 2011, 11:13
Hey Jabba, is that you having a spew out of the tiger?! Toughen up, lad! :}

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2011, 20:58
Bloggsie :D

Chimbu Chuck has tried to achieve that a few times.....but I have survived. Can't have been by much though:ooh:

bentleg
20th Nov 2011, 21:51
A great day at Temora, thousands there, never seen so many at Temora. At least 200 visiting aircraft. An absolute credit to the museum. Great pics in your link Jaba.

Parking for private aircraft well organised and the fuel truck was on hand as you pulled up. Well done Temora!

The only issue I had was the enforced taxi at departure the full length of Runway 36 to R 23 when the wind favoured 36. Unicom would not allow 36, although one pilot I saw just ignored the request, the five aircraft taxi-ing on the 36 runway, and took off on the grass alongside 36 anyway. When I rolled on 23 got caught in a gust from the right rear. Weather Obs said wind was gusting 26 kts at the time. One could have come unstuck quite easily.

Brian Abraham
20th Nov 2011, 22:31
Are you sure the formation comprised an 'FA18 ... Kitty Hawk, Spitfire, Meteor and Sabre', Jabba?

http://www.theintercityplatform.com/Temora/_MG_9163.jpg

Capn Bloggs
20th Nov 2011, 22:48
And No 2 is a .... Temperature getting to your powers of observation, Jabba?! Gen Y; all they know is iphones and plastic aeroplanes! :E

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2011, 23:05
OK...so I should have looked at a picture and on the website i provided the link to instead of using my tired thirsty dusty memory :=....was a big day on Sunday as well :ouch: .

Lucky I got any of them right :sad:

And No 2 is a .... Temperature getting to your powers of observation, Jabba?! Gen Y; all they know is iphones and plastic aeroplanes! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif Just my memory Bloggsie, imagine what it will be like when I get to your age :}

PS.........and when you consider I see a P51 every week, some times multiple times either in the air or on the ground...I must have been in bad shape last night! :sad:

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2011, 23:16
Agreed Bentleg, The wind was from 350 and gusting as you described.

I asked the question was the grass left available, unicom response was "YES....for taxiing" so why the F### was he not requesting that be used for exactly that and 36 for departures. After all he held up the line up for the Red Rockets to use 36, them RAAFies cant be taking a 120 degree quartering tailwind now can they:rolleyes:.

The full length of the Grass Left 36 was available. I do not recall any notes about it not being for use, it was used in simops all day, the gliders use it all year round, and if you ask me, the three tail draggers I saw use it were the only smart ones there. The rest of us dummies followed the leader.

The pilot and owner of the plane I flew in with was not happy at all in the line up for 23 and watching the wind sock......he politely asked me if I would do the departure.

Taxiing should have been on grass left for 23 for those that wanted it and 36 for departures NW-N-NE-E, and 23 for the rest. :ugh:

bentleg
21st Nov 2011, 00:54
Taxiing should have been on grass left for 23 for those that wanted it and 36 for departures NW-N-NE-E, and 23 for the rest.

I agree. Maybe next time I'll just sit at the exit from the paddock and REQUIRE runway 36. I toyed with doing it this time but chickened out and played follow the leader. Yes I noted that they stopped the queue so the Roulettes could use 36. I was upwind on 36 at the time.

Captain Sand Dune
21st Nov 2011, 02:33
them RAAFies cant be taking a 120 degree quartering tailwind now can they
And why would they? :rolleyes:, indeed!

bentleg
21st Nov 2011, 09:15
seems to me that on display days the Museum Unicom is in charge of the Temora sandpit. D407 active from 2030 until 0700 both days … ERSA additional info para 5c dealing with sandpit rules on flying days …. If we want to play in their sandpit …

Agree that they make the rules in their sandpit. They should have been more conscious of the weather and acted upon a pilot's suggestion that 36 was more appropriate.

Tip for visitors next year, if the same display format is going to be used: the view from the western side was better than from the Museum side. All of the jets seemed to be using the fence along part of the western side of 36 as the line to fly along for the low-level passes.

Conditions for airshow displays usually require the flying display not be conducted above spectators.

VH-XXX
22nd Nov 2011, 22:02
From memory it's 200 meters from the crowd line. You also can't point towards the crowd within a certain distance which could be 500 or so, but can't recall that distance exactly. Not relevant for military aircraft however, they can go lower and over the crowd without civil restriction.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2011, 23:13
But I may have got the wrong impression. I suppose it’s possible that the Museum engages UNICOM operators who don’t understand or give sufficient attention to windsocks and the safety implications of wind direction/speed versus take off direction, and who would therefore benefit from a few pointers from experts.

It would be a brave operator that would 'empower' a unicom operator to 'direct' aircraft in the use of un-suitable conditions, I reckon.

kaz3g
2nd Nov 2013, 10:10
Really great day of non-stop flying. Hot, windy but went off well.

Some of the lightie traffic out of the parking paddock at 1630 local was pretty chaotic and those in front of me couldn't have heard the Mustang request all of us taxing on 36 to move onto the grass as his bird was overheating.

Hit some spectacular turbulence about 10 NM South that saw me going down at 2000fpm until I got to the upside of the roller coaster.

Kaz

kaz3g
3rd Nov 2013, 06:20
Not in a parrot although I came close to sharing my seat with a Kite.

White AUS5G with an 0-320.

Kaz