PDA

View Full Version : Readout of CVR and DFDR data on A320

ajohnsonlaird
20th Nov 2011, 06:32
I'm a self-launching sailplane pilot (DG-400), but I'm posting because I'm working on a novel. There's a particular plot point that's got me baffled and none of the A320/ARINC docs that I've downloaded go near answering it.

Assuming you don't have a Teledyne WQAR installed (that operates via cell phone), is it possible to connect up a laptop to some maintenance jack and dump out the contents of the CVR and DFDR on an A320 -- and if so, generally speaking, where would that jack be? In a maint. panel in the cockpit or elsewhere? Or do you have to remove the CVR/DFDR from the a/c and connect up via cabling to the laptop?

Just looking for authenticity in the details, not proprietary info.
Thanks in advance.
Andy

R6DXB
20th Nov 2011, 07:31
There is no jack. You have to remove the CVR and DFDR for read out

Mr @ Spotty M
20th Nov 2011, 10:06
Sorry to ask this, are you sure.
I thought they could both be downloaded in situ, using the copy recorder.
Sorry if l am incorrect as my trade base is that of a heavy. :ok:

cedgz
20th Nov 2011, 10:57
we download on aircraft directly on the dfdr with a rsu.
or we take the pcmia card out of the dfdau and with a pcmia reader you can download all on the pc(but not sure all info collected on dfdau is the same as a dfdr)

Golden Rivet
20th Nov 2011, 11:30
The DFDR data can be captured with an L3-Micro QAR reader...

Welcome to Aerobytes - The only FDM/FOQA software with built in QA tools (http://www.aerobytes.co.uk/index.htm)

Mr @ Spotty M
20th Nov 2011, 11:49
Thanks for the replies to my query, however l am still a little confused.
Is what Golden Rivet explaining, not a direct download from the DFDRU?
However the downloads that can be downloaded when you a have a QAR or similar unit fitted.
I think cedgz has referenced the direct download from the DFDRU.

Pantrash
20th Nov 2011, 12:03
On a Solid State DFDR, you can download to a PCMCIA card using a HHDDLU ( Hand Held Data Download Unit ). Common practice for the annual DFDR Data Dump. AMM 31-31-01 I think.

Golden Rivet
20th Nov 2011, 12:18
The uQAR intercepts and copies the data as it travels from the DFDAU to the DFDR.

grounded27
20th Nov 2011, 16:54
OK let's separate the Digital Flight Data Acquisition Unit, data that is recorded on a PCIMIA card that provides more or less just a snapshot of data. The SSDFR that data is protected in and can be downloaded by a AVIONICA RSU or RSUII, usually a file 10-35 MB in size. A CVR or more commonly combined CVR/SSDFR (SS= solid state) that is usually the box removed from an aircraft and quarantined when the CAA gets involved and normally is only able to be interrogated by the CAA.

Sometimes EG after a suspected hard landing, company will request the SSFDR to be removed from the aircraft and read out directly on a bench.

Back on ACMS, we have mandatory, non mandatory and customer specific parameters, this software is loaded into the DFDAU to match the sensors measuring required inputs and outputs as well as elected ones that are installed on an aircraft. ACMS data can usually be monitored as (ALPHA Callups) from a CDU in the cockpit. If you know what your Alpha or Alpha numeric designator is for the parameter you wish to monitor it is the easy way of seeing what the sensor is reporting.

The uQAR intercepts and copies the data as it travels from the DFDAU to the DFDR.

The mini QAR (usually an AVIONICA device) is more for reporting engine health, on off in for flight time/delay tracking and crew pay.

ajohnsonlaird
20th Nov 2011, 18:00
Thanks to everyone who responded so quckly. Armed with the HHDLU acronym I found more documentation via Mrs. Google.

Couple more questions if you guys don't mind: In general terms, where would the SSDFDR and CVR be installed on an A320? Would you access them from inside or outside the hull? Just need to know so I can describe in general terms what the guy with the HHDLU would have to do.

Thanks much!
Andy.

ajohnsonlaird
20th Nov 2011, 18:35
Much obliged. That gives me what I need.

Regards
Andy

lochias
21st Nov 2011, 16:02
there no way to download data out of a CVR. only the manufacturer in theory can read data from a CVR as far as i know of. As engineers we can test the working function with a ground override button. more to add its very costly!!!

ajohnsonlaird
21st Nov 2011, 16:27
Thanks, Lochias.
The web page at Solid State Cockpit Voice Recorder (SSCVR) - Honeywell Aerospace (http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Data_Management_BR3_CA4774DFC-9703-886F-69D3-2F3420ADBE58_HBFDDA6B6-909E-334F-5E66-1CB6EA4AA463.htm)(at least for Honeyell SSCVRs) confirms what you say: "Must be removed from aircraft for download."

The document at
http://www.honeywell.com/sites/servlet/com.merx.npoint.servlets.DocumentServlet?docid=D66697A17-AFDC-9ED5-20A6-9046902324E8 (page 12) has a diagram that shows a PC with an audio board and a cable connected to the SSCVR in a Playback and Test Station (PATS).

So, as you say, it's a bench job rather than an "open an access panel on the a/c and plug a laptop in."

Regards
Andy.

mono
21st Nov 2011, 17:52
I agree.

It's possible to download DFDR/SSDFDR data into a PCMCIA card or to swap out the QAR media for analysis. But the CVR has to be pulled to be read.

There may be a way to carry out a SSCVR memory dump in situ, but its not in the AMM so I'm not aware that it can be done. And it certainly cannot be done on a conventional continuous loop tape transport CVR.

R6DXB
21st Nov 2011, 18:42
my saying, forget to search for it. You have to physically remove them.
Even the OEM does it after each first flight.
Full stop.

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Nov 2011, 20:55
The only one you need to remove is the CVR to read it, as pointed out by all the previous posts.
Who are you referring to as the OEM?

grounded27
21st Nov 2011, 21:05
Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Nov 2011, 04:36
Thanks, l did know that, but can you also class Airbus or Boeing as an OEM or does it have to be a TC holder?
That is why l asked. :ok:

Avionker
22nd Nov 2011, 07:49
As far as I am aware Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier etc. are classified as OEM. And they are the TC holders for the aircraft as a whole.

R6DXB
22nd Nov 2011, 15:27
As far as I am aware Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier etc. are classified as OEM. And they are the TC holders for the aircraft as a whole.
Correct, additionally I also mentioned the words " first flight " and this can only take place at the associated OEM.

somar
27th Apr 2020, 22:50
I need your help to download the recorded data on dfdr p/n :ap411161-01 on a320-232 and the recorded data on dfdr p/n:980-4700-042 0n a340-313 ..
Please help me as soon as we can...
Best regards

somar
30th Apr 2020, 13:33
Please advise me if the FDS400-301 can be used to download the recorded data on DFDR P/N : AP4111xx-01
&
DFDR P/N : 980-4700-xx

I wait your answers.

best regards