PDA

View Full Version : Horn Island Ops

oxi
19th Nov 2011, 05:21
Can someone explain to me why people are doing run-ups right on the apron taxi-way.

And why are the Caravans taxing on High Idle....

They certainly sound like they are any way.

Its getting painfull.

NOSIGN
19th Nov 2011, 07:37
The Vans are prob using A/C and need the high idle to keep ITT below taxi ITT limit.

From memory, there isnt much space to conduct run ups without occupying the runway or blocking the runway exit.

Nose wheel first
19th Nov 2011, 09:37
Or if you have a problem with what's going on go and speak to the SBP of the operator involved. He may be able to enlighten you or come to a workable solution to the problem.

As for all those VFR aircraft operating in IMC up there.... now there's something to get worked up over!

ChaseIt
19th Nov 2011, 10:53
As for all those VFR aircraft operating in IMC up there.... now there's something to get worked up over! :D

I think the matter of Caravans at high idle is the last thing to worry about when it comes to Horn island operations!!!

tolakuma manki
19th Nov 2011, 17:29
As for all those VFR aircraft operating in IMC up there.... now there's something to get worked up over
VFR and Psuedo RPT is concern.

Josh Cox
19th Nov 2011, 23:21
I think the matter of Caravans at high idle is the last thing to worry about when it comes to Horn island operations!!! Agreed.

Having to use high idle on hot days with high accessory loads ( i.e. Aircon ) is pretty common for the -114/A, in low idle, the idle ITT can exceed the max idle ITT, so you have two choice:

1) Turn off the aircon, forget that for a good idea, or,
2) Increase the airflow and rpm to suit the conditions and enjoy the lovely dehumidified aircon with a considerably lower ITT.

run-ups right on the apron taxi-way.Where else would you suggest, in the parking bay while pilots and passengers are walking around airside, sand blasting aircraft behind you, or on an active runway ( which is both runways at HID ).

Psuedo RPT

Well that little gem has been done to death, CASA were onto that 10+ years ago, I guess your interpretation of CAR 206 is different to that of CASA.

MyNameIsIs
20th Nov 2011, 00:49
Been a while since I've been to Horny, but I recall most runups being done on the 32 threshold.

I think the matter of Caravans at high idle is the last thing to worry about when it comes to Horn island operations!!!

Too right!

As for all those VFR aircraft operating in IMC up there.... now there's something to get worked up over!

True, but......
What about the IFR drivers that come down to 500ft because they are "over water" to get in?
Heck, some of the days when I was at a random ****hole island waiting for 500ft cloud with pissing rain weather to break (so I could go VFR below the cloud avoiding the showers and actually maintain VMC) and an IFR machine suddenly pops out of the crap and hooks it in... yeah explain that to me. And don't say RNAV because that hardly exists up there.
It's not just "VFR operating IMC" up there. I don't deny that it doesn't exist, but it isnt the only problem that plagues Torres operations.
Some of the Heli ops up there appeared questionable too. It is across the board, not just any one operator.

The whole place is just waiting for things to go seriously wrong.

The problem lies across many levels, and it would take a long time from dedicated people to even start turning things around. And in my opinion it should start with some of the operators- for example they should stop pressuring their young, relatively inexperienced drivers to fly their busted-arse aircraft in the ****e weather unless things can be done legitimately- and if that means delaying or cancelling flights till a better time then so be it. Quit being tightarses and spend some money to equip the aircraft properly, not to mention preventative maintenance and actually fixing defects.

The place is a stepping stone, and like any remote hole everyone just wants to get their time and get out. The companies generally don't care, they just want the job done and pressure the drivers into doing things that probably shouldnt be done- we've all experienced it.

It's easy to sit here in our comfy chairs (and planes) and preach about "just dont do it, say no" isn't it? Bit harder when you're the youngun trying to get the hours up and relying on that sub-standard operator to pay you the bare minimum whilst treating you worse than dirt that a dog has crapped on.