PDA

View Full Version : Sonic boom

francophile69
18th Nov 2011, 15:51
Living over here in Normandy we often have French Airforce and Navy planes around. Just after lunch time today we heard two extremely load bangs. So loud that the local forums were up in arms enquiring and complaining.

A couple of people said it was local quarries, the usual it was definitely a sonic boom cos I lived under Concorde's flight path and heard it every Friday....or I lived next to an R.A.F. base in England and was definitely a plane going supersonic..then it was an earthquake..then an asteroid passing between the earth and the moon!

I did try and explain that just because an aeroplane was v.loud and noisy, ie Concorde that it didn't actually mean and was indeed very unlikely they ever heard a sonic boom. Entered into quite a debate, me saying unlikely unless it was an emergency that a military jet over here would break the sound barrier, not least because the farmers would be claiming compensation etc...

all fell on deaf ears...

The Navy on the News said nope not us..our 2 Raphaels that were flying landed 25 minutes before it happened...

The Airforce have just admitted that actually it was them...doh...all my reasoned argument shot down in flames..I give up!..Decided you can't educate pork..

Union Jack
18th Nov 2011, 16:17
If it had been in Germany, rather than Normandy, and many years ago, rather than today, it could have been one of OFSO's two http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/469433-most-embarrasing-moments.html :eek:

Roll on the second one .....

Jack

Pontius Navigator
18th Nov 2011, 17:06
UJ, you need a caution on your link.

Those of weak stomach or the impecunious that cannot afford a new keyboard (or both) should not enter.

Union Jack
18th Nov 2011, 23:00
Oops! I'm so sorry, as indeed I felt for poor OFSO - particularly since in this specific case it would appear that OFSO might have stood for "Orifice finally sorted out":O

With apologies to OFSO of course:ok:

Jack