PDA

View Full Version : Note to Santa ... The Frightening !

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 10:08
I wan't one please ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaGgNNKja1w

A simply outstanding piece of engineering ... both at full scale and 1/6th ! Hats off to Mr Harding !

Best ...

Coff.

snapper1
18th Nov 2011, 10:22
Did he land it?

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 10:24
I believe so ... other video on YouTube ...

Best ...

Coff.

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 10:30
Here is the Ground Run ... Impressive !

1/6th Scale R/C Lightning Jet Model Test Run - YouTube

Best ...

Coff.

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 10:48
Equally impressive !

Avro Vulcan XH558 large scale flying jet model - YouTube

Handley Page Victor (Model) - YouTube

A whole new meaning for the term UAV ! :)

Best ...

Coff.

HTB
18th Nov 2011, 12:09
I've known some Lightning pilots who could probably squeeze into that cockpit...

The V-force pair are most impressive, particularly liked the Victor landing...smoooooth.

Mister B

DX Wombat
18th Nov 2011, 12:19
Then there is this:
Flying Witch - YouTube
I once saw two of these flying around Rufforth Airfield, skimming the hedgerow beside the road. Heaven knows what effect they had on passing motorists. :E The two I saw each had a black cat as a rudder.

spekesoftly
18th Nov 2011, 14:53
The V-force pair are most impressive .......Agreed - saw them display at a LMA meeting at Cosford a while back. Superb skill and realism.

Re the Lightning clip in post #1, can anyone explain the yellow pack on the port wing root that's removed after taxy and just before take-off ?

Hammer Head Too
18th Nov 2011, 15:53
Avpin tank?? ;);)

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 16:23
Spekesoftly ...

I believe it is some kind of monitoring kit to ensure the turbine is running stable/at peak performance before take-off ... I also understand that some of these Model Engineers & Pilots use airborne Engine Data Telemetry for in-flight monitoring !

I also came across this ... Model Jet VTOL ! My "flabber" has never been so "gasted" ! :D

R/C Harrier Jet - YouTube

Best ...

Coff.

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2011, 17:05
There was a Vampire scale model doing its stuff at Leuchers this year. It looked just like the real thing: It tentpegged in at a severe rate of knots just like the real thing too.

Wander00
18th Nov 2011, 18:29
All the models are impressive, as most "large" models are, but the Harrier just has to be the bee's knees, or "John Farley, eat your heart out". Absolutely brilliant, but can it flop into the sea at the end of an "off the beach" show?

I'll get my coat

small_dog
18th Nov 2011, 18:47
Whilst not wanting to ruin the party, doesn't the harrier vid look like a computer game?

The other videos are very impressive.

StopStart
18th Nov 2011, 18:49
CGI/Flight sim nonsense
:hmm:

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2011, 19:17
Sorry chaps ... StopStart ... I agree ... on closer inspection CGI not a VTOL model ! The other vids still impressive though.

But it looks like some are trying to crack the VTOL engineering !

EDF Harrier VTOL project - YouTube

Best ...

Coff.

DX Wombat
18th Nov 2011, 19:43
Here you are Stop Start, although it is an electric version:
RC Harrier hovering - YouTube

This is a start on the usual propulsion:
Erics RC Harrier 2009 oct 12 First run. Short hops. - YouTube

It would be interesting to know how far they have got with it since that flight.

Nige321
18th Nov 2011, 20:20
Re the Lightning clip in post #1, can anyone explain the yellow pack on the port wing root that's removed after taxy and just before take-off ?

It's a small fuel tank - used to start the turbine and allow plenty of time for checks. The flight can then start with a full internal tank...

Wander00
18th Nov 2011, 20:49
Why don't theyjust put over-wings on it?

Beancountercymru
19th Nov 2011, 16:39
I saw the Victor at St Athan a few years ago.

Once it had taken off (using the main runway of course) it looked extremely realistic as it passed in front of the hangars used then for Tornado maintenance. Those hangars BTW are currently being demolished