PDA

View Full Version : Any Rotorheads done the Tanzanian Air Law Exam?

helimutt
17th Nov 2011, 07:16
Looks like I may need to sit the Tanzanian Air Law exam soon. I just wondered if any of the other Rotorheads had done the same exam and what was involved. . :hmm:

vfr440
17th Nov 2011, 11:25
It's a (long) while since I was there, but the E African Air Laws were originally the ANO (Overseas Territotories), and I believe when CAA left the rules remained the same. (Why reinvent the wheel?) So I would suspect that if you had a copy of that to read, learn and inwardly digest, you would be well prepared :ok:

That's unless someone on Pprune knows differently.

Best of luck - VFR

The Nr Fairy
17th Nov 2011, 16:13
Bribery not an option ? Now you've got moolah for an unwanted headset . . . :)

hueyracer
17th Nov 2011, 16:36
Why donīt you ask the guys in your company?

Some of them already did......:)

The exam is pretty much "standard"-nothing in comparison to the Kenyan Exam.....

If you pick the "Oxford" prep software, you will be more than well prepared...

helimutt
18th Nov 2011, 07:51
NR, How's the headset?

Hueyracer, do we know each other? :confused:

Looks like I am possibly being emailed an 'aide memoire' ;)

cheers

Hawkeye0001
18th Nov 2011, 12:41
Hey Helimutt!

So at last you get to know TCAA :}

The conversion is not only Air Law but also some African Meteorology, a type rating test and a check out flight. So much for the theory. In reality they don't have a type rating test for anything that is not a C-206, C-208 or not an airplane for that matter. If you're flying something that is rare (any type of helicopter) chances are they don't even have anyone to check you out on it either.
Therefore the usual process is: you take your exam (multiple choice, some 30 questions, ~one hour if I remember correctly), pass it, write the Director General a letter that states that there's no T/R test and that there's no one to check you out, they "pretend" to look into the regs, hope for a bribe and after a week you'll have your license ;)

Important stuff to know:
- Dependancies of wavelenght and frequency
- Approx. ranges of wavelenght and frequencies (LF to UHF)
- Weather hazards around Kilimanjaro and Dar Es Salaam
- Time of both rain seasons
- Flight Planning (you won't even need an E-6b. Emphasis on emergency notification times)
- Documents to be carried aboard the aircraft (careful: it's multiple choice, but they forgot to give you any options to choose from! :ugh:)

You can find all regs as PDF at Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.tcaa.go.tz). Read up on the AIP/AIC: most of the test is taken from contents of these two publications.

Important detail: to obtain your license without any delay you have to prove your ICAO english proficiency if you don't have it already. Go to CATS at DAR airport, Terminal 1 (entrance 30m left of the terminal entrance, 1st floor, left door). Ask for the kind old gentleman who's doing the english language test. You'll have a 15 minute chat with him about all the world and his wife followed by a 20 minute listening comprehension test with multiple choice answers. He'll send a letter with results to TCAA the same day. Unlike in Europe (351€!) it's completely free, by the way :ok:

That's all I can remember out of my head right now.
You have PM.

korni
11th Dec 2011, 06:02
Hawkeye,

thanks for the comprehensive overview.
Would you have any hint as who and where to start contacting TCAA for a CPL conversion? Would you just walk in the TCAA building and ask your way through or is an appointment preferred?
We tried e-mailing the officers named on the website but got no reply.

korni

CaptZeloZelo
25th Jan 2012, 17:08
Walk into the TCAA office in DAR. 2nd floor. Book your license conversion exam at least one week ahead. Exams are every Thursday at 9am. 205$USD.. and I mean USD, I tried paying in shillings and they wouldn't accept their own currency in a federal building....