PDA

View Full Version : Safer take off from deck?

Indfly
16th Nov 2011, 19:24
Hi All

Which is a safer take-off from Deck of a ship and Why?

Slide off the deck,yaw into wind and come up on Power

or

Turn into wind, on deck and come up marginally on Power?

All answers appreciated.

Regards

Indfly

chinook240
16th Nov 2011, 19:47
Red or green wind?

HOGE perf?

Tandem or single rotor?

Day or night?

Schiller
17th Nov 2011, 09:46
Fixed wing or helicopter?

Indfly
17th Nov 2011, 13:34
Red or green wind?
HOGE perf?
Tandem or single rotor?
Day or night?

I was referring to Helicopter take-off's from a ship deck, in all conditions - winds could be from green/red,day/night.looking for views or experiences with tandem/single/contra.

airborne_artist
17th Nov 2011, 13:44
And what sort of ship, too? Flight deck on the stern of a warship can have some interesting aspects ..

diginagain
17th Nov 2011, 16:57
I was referring to Helicopter take-off's from a ship deck,
That'll come as a welcome relief; no input required from our SHAR SME. :p

Tourist
17th Nov 2011, 17:50
Simple answer:

Option number 1

That's why we do it.

Sven Sixtoo
17th Nov 2011, 20:07
In my very limited experience of ship ops (six departures from a deck into total black that I can remember - and I can remember all of them) I've selected max continuous as soon as I decide I am not going back to the deck. Nothing quite like going up for getting away from collision with solid objects.

Sven

pasptoo
18th Nov 2011, 09:19
Ask the Navy Guys, they are the experts. But then different Navy, different profiles.

P.

4Greens
18th Nov 2011, 18:54
A million years ago, before a cat shot you held the stick and then your elbow into your midriff so that you couldnt pull back. You put your fist against the throttles for the same reason.

SpazSinbad
19th Nov 2011, 22:17
A milyion years ago in a gawaxy further away than most, some had cold cat shots, sliding off of (I like amuricanisms) the front end to spectacular effect in some instances.

20th Nov 2011, 06:36
Indyfly - option 1 is the safest and, if you try it at night, you will discover why.

You need references for as long as possible and you need to ensure a suitable clearance from the superstructure ahead of you - by moving sideways first, you put yourself at the edge of the deck with references ahead of you before you yaw and transition. If you yaw first you are losing references and then transitioning from the middle of the deck, putting you closer to the superstructure.

At night, the horizon bar is your saviour so lift vertically until it is at your eye-level, slide sideways to the edge of the deck then yaw and transition - straight onto instruments to ensure you climb away from, rather than descend into, the sea. Too much nose down on the transition is a bad thing as it can cause disorientation and, if you are a bit short of power, can again leave you heading for the sea.