PDA

View Full Version : Southern North Sea Single Pilot Operations

TGRolando
16th Nov 2011, 14:13
Do any of the SNS Operators still operate single pilot, or is it all two crew nowadays? If not, how long ago did it all change?

902Jon
16th Nov 2011, 14:50
All SNS ops have been two-crew (pilots) since the early 90's. When I started on the SNS in '87 there were still single pilot ops on the S76, the WG30 and the 365C. The WG30 & S76 usually used a company crewman, but the 365C out of Humberside was purely single pilot.

The requirement for two-pilot ops was originally from the oil/gas companies but has since become mandatory from the CAA/JAA/EASA.

Conoco operating from Strubby & North Denes were one of the first to require co-pilots on their SA365N's. I was one of several taken on at that time, and the offshore workers genuinely thought we were Government Youth Training Scheme (YTS) workers, a training initiative of the time. Certain Captains of the time (Griffothefog) thought we were basically 75kgs of unusable fuel. :{
Thanks Griff :ok:

griffothefog
16th Nov 2011, 15:51
But you were great company 902 and if we flew together again these days you would be hard pressed to get me to touch the sticks at all :ok:

The exuberance of young command could make one a bit paranoid back then and in my defence I was single pilot on the Auk and 40's when I wasn't on detachment to your patch, so it was a hard habit to break :p

Hope all is well bud.

helicrazi
16th Nov 2011, 15:57
Are you actually allowed to touch the sticks these days???? :\

griffothefog
16th Nov 2011, 16:09
We only push buttons these days :{