PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy Flying

Springbok220
6th Nov 2001, 21:55
Anyone have any experience with applications for air crew with HM Navy?

Is it like the RAF in terms of selection and aptitudes and are they recruiting for flight crew currently?

Cheers

Springbok

Sagey
6th Nov 2001, 22:07
Hi there I am in the process at the moment.

Basically you need to contact your local RN recruitment centre and fill out an Officer Enquiry Questionnaire.

Send that questionnaire back and you will be invited to an informal interview. I recently had mine, basically lots of questions as to why you want to join the Navy, why not the RAF. You watch a video. From this interview the Recruitment Liaision Officer can basically tell whether you have no hope at all really, or that you should continue with your application. They cannot stop you applying, but it is a help aide and you should have about 2-3 of them I was told.

I actually really enjoyed by Advisory interview, really was very positive.

Anyway as I was saying I only have had 1 advisory interview, and was told that they will be in contact at another date to fill in another form, to chat again etc prior to the Admiral Interview Board in September. In the meantime the Recruitment Liasion Officer will try and organise for you to go on a visit to a RN squadron, you will need to go for Aptitude testing and if you are still motivated and got a high enough score in aptitudes you will be put forward for the Admiral Interview Board, which apparently consists of

Written mathematical and English problems etc.
Team exercises.
Formal Interview.

Oh and it takes 2 days!! and is meant to be an enjoyable experience whatever the result

Hope that helps

Sagey

keeders
7th Nov 2001, 00:43
Sagey,

I'm sure being nearly 30 that I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for but just out of curiosity, what are the age limits for joining ???

Thanks - Keeders :D :D

Sagey
7th Nov 2001, 01:17
Sorry, I think the maximum age limit in which you are allowed to start training is 26.

You do not fly straight away. You have your Officer Initiation at Dartmouth, so it is a good year before you start flying.

If you are successful through training it should take 3 years to become a RN Helicopter pilot and go Operational. Add another year to become an RN Harrier Pilot.

Sagey

EGDR
7th Nov 2001, 03:10
The absolute minimum, realistically, from stepping foot over the door at Dartmouth to front line is

Observer - 3 yrs
Pilot (helo) - 4 yrs
Pilot (SHar) - 5.5 yrs

EGDR
7th Nov 2001, 03:14
I did my AIB for Observer in 1998 , scored well and subsequently joined the RN.

My advice

1 - Be yourself, if you don't they will see through you.

2. Be smart - clean suit, smart shirt/tie, polished shoes , recent haircut, no earings - for guys etc..

3. Know in detail the jobs of Pilot & Obs. The training route & structure . Our airbases and aircraft. Know about the fleet in general - different ships , their roles weapon fits. Where our ships deploy to, where they are at the moment. In general have a very good background knowledge of the Navy.

4. Have good reasons for why you want to join, why you are a good leader, why you want to be an officer not just aircrew etc..

5. The written test are the usual IQ type - so you can practice them. There is a written english test - so brush up on basic english & also a maths tests of the speed/distance/time type.

6. Read the paper, watch the 6 oclock news have a good knowledge of current affairs and have an opinion on them. I found the Economist invaluable.

7. For the group tests be confident. Remember even bad leadership is better than no leadership. Dont be persuaded to change your mind unless you plan is utter crap and then take onboard you teams suggestions and adopt them as your own.

8. The bottom line is about being confident, projecting yourself. You have to sell yourself to them.

9. It's not impossible

10. Always, always go to The Cocked Hat pub at the end of the road from HMS Sultan, for a beer at the end of each night. They do send people there to watch what you get up to !!

jetset pete
7th Nov 2001, 19:25
Hi all,
Do you think it is worth mentioning applications for civilan flight training courses when applying to the navy, or could this possibly portray you as not the right sort of pilot?
Cheers...

Springbok220
7th Nov 2001, 19:45
Thanks for that folks, some good info there.

So I shall start with the local guys for a chat.

Thanks once again. ;)

Sagey
7th Nov 2001, 20:53
jetset pete the Navy want Officers that can Fly. Now a keen interest in aviation is of course beneficial but it is essential that you provide them with the evidence that you have sat down and thought about joining up for a considerably long time.

A Naval pilot or RAF pilot is potentially a pilot that can be sent to war at anytime. I had to think long and hard before sending in that OEQ, over that one. In the RN you will have other Officer duties as well as flying. Now I know that I am in the beginning of the process and time will tell if I get selected, but I got the distinct impression from Advisory interview that they want those in for the long haul, Prior to the interview I decided that I wanted a long term career not just a flying job or a job, which appeared to be a key buzz sentence. The Services provide great opportunities, but they are not for everyone. Take it as a highly professionally management position (as an Officer) with the added bonus of flying!.

Not sure if this helps, I don't think it will hinder any applications, although there is considerably more to the process than just wanting to fly.

Sagey

jetset pete
8th Nov 2001, 16:39
Thanks for the sage advice. i have had limited exp of the services through the URNU but decided not to pursue at the time because eyesight prevented me from the flying route i preferred. Do u think that a negative answer to 'would u join the navy as a warfare officer if not pilot?' would be seen poorly - or is it a case of hold ur own convictions and stick to them. I'm just musing at this time so thanks for any comments. Cheers.

Sagey
8th Nov 2001, 17:05
Jetset I guess it depends on your Career L Officer.

To be honest I have heard lot of things about CLO's attempting to push people into x,y and z. I found the one that I have been allocated to absolutely superb, that cares thoroughly for the Service and also the candidates he puts forward. Now the question of Warfare Officer was only bridged if I fail a medical for grounds such as eyesight.

I was never asked whether I would consider anything else apart from Flying. I was told to stick with you aims and to not fall for anything such as U can then become a pilot in 3 years time. The training alone takes a good part of 4 years and maybe longer. Be confident, be positive and stick to your guns over flying.

All I can say really,

Sagey

hmm nice flaps
9th Nov 2001, 00:46
Sagey,
Have you sat your AIB yet? And are you waiting for the final board results? If so I am in the same boat.
If not it would seem a little presumptious giving advice on what to say and what not to say at the AIB with regard to warfare etc.
Getting in as Aircrew is much more competitive and there is no point stubbornly sticking to pilot if you don't stand a cat in hell's chance at the final board, even if you passed Aptitudes and AIB.

Sagey
9th Nov 2001, 01:08
I have not sat my AIB yet nor did I give advice about the AIB as if you actually bothered reading the posts I stated for the Advisory Interview. As you no doubt are aware, it is a long process and people asked about applying not the end of the road.

Although there is a post on Military boards that has about 7 Naval pilots all stating that you should stick to your guns on saying I want to fly. That is where I took my advice from.

All the people that asked questions hadn't applied yet!!

Also I was told by those that had gone through the system and CLO that you are told at AIB whether you have passed, and that the letter you receive will say YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS A PILOT.

Thought this was meant to be an advice, rumours network not who is further down the line in applications etc. If you don't want to be a warfares officer tell them, if you only want to be a pilot tell them. Advice I was given by people with a service history in the RN and not one that I will retract. If you are desperate to join the Navy as an Officer and are willing to do anything, also tell them.

Sagey

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Sagey ]

hmm nice flaps
10th Nov 2001, 23:01
Fair comment sagey, and I am familiar with the posts in the military pilots section. However I think it is important to realise that there are more people pass for pilot after the AIB than there are places available. Therefore although you may pass the aptitudes and the AIB (which I did) this does not guarantee you a place as a pilot at BRNC. This is what happened to me for the Septmeber intake. It's pretty frustating when although you make the grade you are told that you are not high enough up on the pecking order - I'm not bitter though, honest! Thus by restricting yourself to pilot only you may be shutting doors which at a later stage you may well wish you left open. Obviously this depends entirely on whether your objective is to be solely a pilot or if you want to join the RN in any capacity.

Sagey
11th Nov 2001, 06:37
U make a good point about being not far up the list.

Also a word of advice, which maybe too late for me but not for other Navy flying wannabes.

They like you as young as possible. I was told that two people with identical scores etc and only one place the youngest would get it!!!! So if you are really keen on pursuing a flying career in the RN, start young.

BTW are you still waiting? and hope you get the letter soon

Sagey