PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP to JAA ATP(L)(H) ?

ATPMBA
15th Nov 2011, 13:19
Hi,

I have been thinking about converting my FAA ATP to JAA ATPL. I think the best route for me is to go the 1,500tt and 500 hours of multi-crew time which I have in jets, the 14 exams, a type rating and ATPL skills test. Can the type rating and skills test be combined in one check ride? Can everything be done in a simulator? Are there any cheap type ratings in the UK?

As an added twist I hold a FAA commercial and instrument in helicopters, (300 hrs heli). Could I do an ATPH and get typed in say a S76 or A109 and get a full ATPH or would it be a frozen ATPH? I rather avoid getting a CPLH and then an IR(H).

Or is the best path is to do a FW ATPL and then somehow add on the ATPH?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks Guy/Gals.

paco
15th Nov 2011, 16:08
Hi there - on the helicopter side, you would need to do the 14 exams, plus the check ride for the CPL(H), which is training as required if you already hold an ICAO CPL(H). You need 1500 hours for an ATPL(H), so the exams would be frozen until you get the required experience. However, they are frozen for 7 years provided you get the helicopter IR within 3 years, otherwise it reverts to a CPL(H) anyway.

If you got the ATPL(A), you would only need to do POF(H) to get the JAA CPL(H), then you would be exempt the upgrade to ATPL(H) because you already hold the ATPL(A), which includes the IR theoretical knowledge. We have tried this workaround with several people and it is valid. It saves you taking three exams, which the CAA don't have facilities for anyway.

Phil

Wirbelsturm
15th Nov 2011, 16:11
AFAIK the two licences are considered completely seperate.

I hold both an ATPL(A) and an, admittedly now lapsed IR, ATPL(H) with 9000 hrs on the A and 4500 on the H. Trying to keep them running concurrently was a nightmare as the requirements of employers clashed at every turn and the restrictions on the hours available in a year caused alot of problems.

For the purposes of the exams and thus qualifications the CAA under JAR have an ATPL(H)-(A) bridging exam and, again I haven't checked, I believe the same exists for (A)-(H) with a differences exam.

The requirements for the issue of the ATPL(H) are the same as the CPL(H) but with an IR.

Be aware that many employers will demand both a type rating and an IR which, if you are looking at S76 or A109, is pretty expensive.

300 hrs rotary would get you, I think, CPL(H) but check with a proper school.

Good luck.

paco
15th Nov 2011, 17:51
In theory, there is a bridging exam, but the CAA cannot provide them. In the past we have agreed that POF, Performance and AGK would be sufficient for changing from H to A, but this is on a case by case basis. For A to H, the workaround above applies.

As mentioned, you need 1500 hours for a JAA ATPL(H).

Phil

ATPMBA
15th Nov 2011, 17:54
Quote: As mentioned, you need 1500 hours for a JAA ATPL(H).

Is that 1500 of pure heli time?

Wirbelsturm
15th Nov 2011, 18:02
Is that 1500 of pure heli time?

In the past fixed wing hours have been 'factored' for the application of a rotary licence and vice versa. That was dependant upon the country issuing the licence.

As the responsibilities for licence issuance is moved over to EASA the individual relaxations as dictated by national authorities is changing and with them the ability to factor hours.

The easiest path is to contact the authority in the country where you intend to apply for the licence and ask their advice.

paco
16th Nov 2011, 06:31
Sorry, my mistake, it's 1000 hours helicopter - I should look in LASORS first! :) 1500 is the UK ATP requirement.

Check out section G3 for the breakdown.

Phil