PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Information Register?

SEP Flyer
15th Nov 2011, 11:38
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a readily available on-line source of basic aircraft information that includes that particular aircraft's weights, C of G figures, rate of fuel burn and fuel capacity?

The reason for asking is I am a typical club/school aircraft renter, and this information is invariably held in the aircraft's folder which is kept at the school/club. Sometimes the school club operates a variety of PA28s - Warriors, Archers and once upon a time a diesel Warrior - all with different figures and capacities (the diesel PA28 had smaller tanks). I also rent from different locations.

For flight planning, having this information in advance would really help, and save time and surely increase safety - I now use a software based flight planning system for preparing and printing plogs, and which also calculates weights and balances, so I can plan in advance what I can carry etc.

Technically/legally is there any reason why this info cannot be added to G INFO or other database? Just a few essentials, not the full POH! (although a POH pdf might be useful!)

Much obliged!

BackPacker
15th Nov 2011, 12:10
No.

Although my club has a W&B calculator on the website, from which you can get the basic figures. Before that, we simply had lists available from the reception with all the important data.

Keeping the W&B figures updated on some sort of website like G-INFO is likely going to be a PITA, both for the owner and the CAA, and POHs are copyrighted (and specific for each aircraft) so I don't think the manufacturers would appreciate POHs being in wide circulation on the internet, if only from a liability standpoint.

(the diesel PA28 had smaller tanks)

Just out of curiosity, first, are you sure, and second, why? Why would anyone go through the trouble of redesigning the fuel tanks on a PA28 to make them *smaller*?

I know Jet-A has a higher SG. The only reason I could think of is that the fuel tanks and their support structure would not be strong enough to hold a full tank of Jet-A. But since they're located in the wings, very close to the spar I would think that that would not be a problem. But even if it were so, you could probably even limit the aircraft to the "N" category when the tanks contain more than X amount of Jet-A.

But OTOH, one of the advantages of diesel technology is a lower fuel burn, so a longer endurance on the same size tanks. That's an advantage that you're throwing away, to a large extent, by reducing the size of the fuel tanks.

SEP Flyer
15th Nov 2011, 13:22
Hi BackPacker,

A club website with some basic aircraft info sounds a good idea :ok:- will suggest it to my club. But as for updating G INFO, just how often do basic aircraft details change? Are annual inspection details not logged with the CAA? Like a car MOT is with the DVLA?

(the diesel PA28 had smaller tanks)
Just out of curiosity, first, are you sure, and second, why? Why would anyone go through the trouble of redesigning the fuel tanks on a PA28 to make them *smaller*?

Yes and I don't know why. Perhaps the diesel lump was heavier than the original so smaller tanks were needed to maintain useful loads? (G-BSPM)

RTN11
15th Nov 2011, 16:09
Just a guess, but don't diesel engines have a completely different fuel system?

The fuel injectors are fed by a common rail system, and any unburnt fuel is returned to the tank. The fuel is constantly circulated by this method, keeping it warm and preventing waxing

I guess for this reason they would have to fit a new tank, which may be smaller to accomodate all the extra nonesense.