PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Airports

djfwells
14th Nov 2011, 19:17
...and still they keep on building more ! When will they get the meassage ?
20 Spanish airports fly under 100k passengers annually (http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/4184-20-spanish-airports-fly-under-100k-passengers-annually.html)

fa2fi
15th Nov 2011, 15:54
Yes and rebuilding more. While I'm sure the contracts were signed Pre recession, I'm stunned at the scale of expansion at AGP and ALC. They seem way too big and grand. Then there is the new Murcia.

For such a troubled economy I think it's time to slow down these massive projects. I said it back when it was built that Cuidad Real was a waste. I think we'll be seeing a few Mirabel-esque shut downs and white elephants. Isn't there also a plan for a large aircraft scrap yard built from new and not using a current under utilised strip that's already been built??

I wonder why they are doing it? National/local pride or underhand dealings or is it to fudge GDP figures and unemployment rates?

2Planks
16th Nov 2011, 03:56
It is the current Government's Policy that all Comunidad capitals have an airport, even if they only attract handfuls of passengers. As for continuing to build in a recession (High Speed Rail, airports etc) keeps people in work, the funding was probably in place and will leave the country with superb transport infrastructure (unlike the UK where we seem to rely on the visionary work of Brunel and squeezing ever more out of 1960s airports with no plan for creating capacity (LHR T5 being a notable exception on facilities))