PDA

View Full Version : Studying to be a Commercial Pilot Help

Loki387
14th Nov 2011, 07:10
Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself prior to asking a few questions !:)

I'm 24 y.o from Sydney, Australia looking to finally begin my career in Aviation.

I started off 18y.o studying at TAFE Construction Science, but this never really interested me in the same way that flying has and now its time.. even though its a rough time to start..

Now I have had quite a rough past few years... had a big car accident and unfortunately my insurance didn't cover the damages on the cars involved and I have had fork out my own money to pay these off.. in excess of 20K.. :(

I want to know, what would be the best way to get into this field... without spending such a large amount of money as the flight training (prac) is so fkn dear i couldn't afford it! ... Are there any government assited courses? or courses that have a paying system similar to that of what UNI students are on? (HECS?)

I was looking at Cadet ships but some of these ask you to work with the airline upon graduating for over 10 years !

I look forward to any advice. Cheers!

redsnail
14th Nov 2011, 08:08
Learning to fly is expensive. That you've figured out. You're 24 years old. That's not old in aviation terms these days although, you do want to get cracking by the time you're 26+.

I have no idea about assisted courses. You'll have to ask the "Dununda forum" about that. There were none when I went through the mill in Oz 20 years ago.

I'd rethink the 10 year commitment as a "negative". Although, it does depend on the negative... You'll be in your mid thirties and with a heap of hours, the world is yours.

Fortunately in Oz, you don't need the full monty IR to begin with and nor do you need to have done the ATPLs. A CPL and a sense of adventure will get you a start. Although the IR is useful, cheaper and more practical is the night VFR for places like the Kimberley.

Loki387
14th Nov 2011, 08:36
redsnail cheers for the information, I posted it in that subsection.

Some of the flight schools in have exceedingly high fees.. but some have "pay in installments" but even those amounts are lubricious.

redsnail
14th Nov 2011, 12:13
As I found out some time ago, cheap doesn't always mean best value. What you're after is good value. I would pay a bit more if it means your aircraft is well maintained, instructors are paid a living wage and the syllabus is followed. You also want to be able to get "your" instructor and aeroplane when you want it - within reason of course.

Also, make sure you compare prices and courses. Some full time ones are frighteningly expensive for not "that much more".

I would spend some time on the CASA site making sure you understand what's involved with every stage of the licence(s).

Are ground exams included?
Is briefing time included?
Flight test fees?
Landing fees?
etc