PDA

View Full Version : Soviet Era Flight Manuals

Rosevidney1
13th Nov 2011, 15:44
During the Cold War period the Soviet Union exported aircraft to their client states or other favoured customers. In the case of the Middle East countries it seems that many manuals were printed in the English language. Flight Manuals interest me and I have been collecting them for over 50 years. They are important source material to the historian. Although I have a number of Soviet manuals these are in the Russian language and therefore incomprehensible to me even with the aid of a Russian/English dictionary. Have we any other collectors of FMs and PNs on here who might be able to point me in the right direction as to where the English language versions may be obtained? Types of particular interest include MiGs 15, 17 & 19, Su-7 and Il-28. Thank you.:)

MReyn24050
13th Nov 2011, 18:52
Do I take it that you have the MiG 29?

Mechta
13th Nov 2011, 18:54
Hi Rosevidney1,

Those pilots note you list are the sort of thing that are sold on the stalls at Russian air shows and aircraft enthusiast gatherings. There is, or certainly was, a large monthly meeting in central Moscow once a month at which tables and tables of aircraft books and plastic models were sold.

There are a number of Ppruners who post from Russia, who it could be worth PMing in case they have any suitable contacts.

Another source would be to make contact with George Pick tours who run regular trips to the Moscow Airshow (MAKS) in Zhukovski as well as others in Eastern Europe. There are a number of enthusiasts who go regularly who could look at the stalls, or may even have their own Russian contacts or know the traders who attend.

A wanted advert in the classifieds in the likes of Flypast or Aeroplane Monthly will find its way to all corners of the world (in case the English notes you are after are outside of Russia).

Krilia Rodiny (Wings of the Motherland) is an long established Russian Language magazine which would put you in touch with Russian enthusiasts.

Here is a list of other current and defunct Russian aircraft magazines.

Russian & Belorussian Aircraft Magazines (http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/russia/russmag.htm)

There are also plenty of Russian aviation forums on which you could post a wanted ad. Make sure you have the full suite of anti-virus and anti-malware software before browsing Russian sites though.

Foxbat AVIa (http://foxbatavia.narod.ru/)

: - ScaleModels.ru (http://scalemodels.ru/)

Beware that some Russians have the idea that Western streets are paved with gold, and they may ask silly money for the manuals. You also need to be sure that you will be getting something for your money. It may be a good idea to say 'up to $xx paid for Pilots notes in English, paid on receipt', and get photos of the manual sent before agreeing to the deal.

Rosevidney1
13th Nov 2011, 21:02
Yes, got the one used by the unified German Air Force and as per stanag printed in English.

Rosevidney1
13th Nov 2011, 21:04
Thank you Mechta. A splendid idea! :)