PDA

View Full Version : An 'unauthorised flight' - ac/2 and a Hurricane

eggnog the flippant
12th Nov 2011, 20:22
For no particular reason at all, at 11.00 yesterday 11.11.2011, I was in the churchyard of All Saints, Wimbish near to RAF Debden, as was, in deepest darkest Essex. Amongst a little group of WW2 RAF graves was that of:

WALKER, PETER LINGARD
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit 17 Sqdn. Age:24
Date of Death:27/06/1940 Service No: 627496
Additional information: Son of Edmund Lingard Walker and Trevora Dorothy Beauchamp Walker, of Paignton, Devon.
(This from the CWGC record)

It was “Aircraftman 2nd Class (Pilot)” that brought me up short.

A reference to 17 Sqdn has subsequently given this:

27/06/1940: Unauthorized flight, UK
Type: Hurricane Mk 1 Serial number: P3778, YB-?
Operation: - (Unauthorized flight)
Lost: 27/06/1940
Aircraftman 2nd Class (Pilot) Peter L. Walker, RAF 627496, 17 Sqdn., age 24, Took off from Debden, Essex. Unauthorized flight, crashed near Quendon Newport, Essex.

The squadron had only just pulled back to Debden and he doesn't seem to have got much further.

I've tried a fair few ways into this story (including PPrune) but have had no luck so far. Does anyone have any background to this most unfortunate event? What the heck was he up to?

emeritus
13th Nov 2011, 07:30
Eggnog...

Suggest you try the Public Records Office in Kew.

I was there in 2000 and they have a lot of RAF records in the archive.

They would have the Operations Records Books which basically is the daily diary of the Squadron in question.

Presumeably there would have been a Court of Inquiry and you may be able to access that as well.

happy hunting...Emeritus

cyflyer
13th Nov 2011, 09:06
I second what 'emeritus' says, the Public records Office at Kew, (actually called The National Archives nowadays) and look up the 17sqn ORB for those dates which will be on microfilm. I have been there many times over the years researching RAF squadron ORBs, most recently this summer. Not so much in the way of Courts of Enquiries though. Of course this is dependent on if you are in London, for practical reasons.

Marbles
13th Nov 2011, 22:01
AIR27/234 is the 17 Sqn ORB for 1940, and may have some details. It's on microfilm, so you won't need a reader's ticket to view it. Another avenue to explore is to look at the Accident Record Card for the aircraft. They are held, as are the Form 76s, in the RAF Museum library at Hendon. Courts of Inquiry at Kew are rather more difficult to trace.

PPRuNe Pop
14th Nov 2011, 07:06
I am sure it will be a matter of interest to know what National Archives charge these days for such searches.

Marbles
14th Nov 2011, 09:33
Visiting the National Archives costs nothing except the cost of getting there. If you want to look at original documents you have to get a Reader's ticket, which is a small admin hurdle requiring ID. Many of the most popular document types (and Squadron ORBs are in that category) are stored on microfilm to save wear and tear on the originals. Some documents (but not ORBs) are even online. Microfilmed docs are available in the Open area, which doesn't require a reader's ticket. There are also many documents online, which can be examined using the many terminals. The incident may have been reported on the Station ORB, which is unlikely to be on microfilm.

If you are too far from Kew to travel there yourself, there are really three options. You can order a copy of the document itself, you can find and pay a researcher to do it for you, or you can get the NA to do the research for you. Details of the last two options are at Paying for research | The National Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/paid_research.htm). If I get to Kew this week I'll look up the ORB.

MReyn24050
14th Nov 2011, 11:24
I notice that the details you posted at Post #1 concerning this incident are also listed here:-
World War 2 - RAF 17 Squadron, May/June 1940 (http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/17_squadron.html#2706)

The source of that information is given as the CWGC and Henk Welting. Have you contacted Henk Welting? He may be able to help.

He is a member of rafcommands.com forum and his profile details are here:-
View Profile: Henk Welting - RafCommands Forums (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/member.php?221-Henk-Welting)

eggnog the flippant
15th Nov 2011, 21:31
Thank you each and every for your help. If there is any chance of a look-up in TNA, I'd be most grateful, Kew being a long way from my rural seclusion. And, as suggested, I've enquired elsewhere.

Marbles
18th Nov 2011, 23:20
OK I have an answer for you.

The 17 Squadron ORB has the event incorrectly recorded as being on 28 June 1940: "AC2 Walker P. took off in a Hurricane at about 1830 hours and crashed after being n the air approximately 5 minutes. The aircraft burst into flames on crashing - Walker being killed. P.O. D.C. Leary stalled and crashed his aircraft when landing on returning from local flying.

The Station ORB Record Book (AIR28/189) reports for 27 June:
At 1820 hours it was reported that a Hurricane had crashed in flames 3 miles west of the aerodrome - it was discovered that A.C. Walker of 17 Squadron had taken up a Hurricane - never having flown before - write off of pilot and aircraft. At 1836 it was reported that P.O. Leary of 17 squadron had crashed into the hangar - aircraft damaged - pilot unhurt.

In daily Routine Orders for 28 June 1940 (AIR28/190), serial 901:
Investigation:
An investigation will be held by the undermentioned Officer at RAF Station Debden, at 11.30 hrs 29th June 1940 to investigate, report upon and make recommendations (if any) in respect of an accident involving Hurricane aircraft P3778 and the death of 622496 (?) A.C.2. Walker on 27th June, 1940.
Investigating Officer ...F/Lt Hammersly.
Terms of reference K.R. AND A.C.I. para 312, 1318 to 1321 incl. and 1326, also A.P. 837 para 130 to 136 incl.

Regards,
Marbles.

cyflyer
19th Nov 2011, 15:47
Very interesting Marbles. So this guy was not a pilot, and basically stole a Hurricane, and crashed. Sounds like a fool. seems like the squadron was having a very bad day that day.

Kitbag
19th Nov 2011, 17:01
I am going to object to this:

So this guy was not a pilot, and basically stole a Hurricane, and crashed. Sounds like a fool.

My bold. It is quite conceivable that there were other issues of which we know nothing, and equally possible that he has relatives who will stumble across your post. May I suggest some editing is carried out.

cyflyer
19th Nov 2011, 21:41
it was discovered that A.C. Walker of 17 Squadron had taken up a Hurricane - never having flown before - write off of pilot and aircraft

Kitbag, what is your problem ? I suppose the RAF made a habit of allowing airmen who "never having flown before" to just take Hurricanes and swan off as they pleased. What other possible issues can there be ? If those are not foolish actions, then I don't what else can possibly be.