PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

UniFoxOs
12th Nov 2011, 08:37
SWMBO and I have always had an annual travel insurance policy for worldwide cover. Over the last few years it has crept up from GBP80 to GBP140. Time to renew again and the quotes are much higher.

Any prooners got any recommendations or suggestions?

Cheers
UFO

rethymnon
12th Nov 2011, 09:36
travel insurance has become a bit of a minefield. largely, i suspect, because it has always been an area where fraud has always been too easy to commit (i once had a claimant on his 27th appendectomy!).

premiums rise sharply with age and there is a continuing duty to disclose changes in circumstances, not just at renewal but throughout duration. ( i don't like this but it is a fact of life).

also, not all covers are equal: i've found one insurer insisting upon adjusting a claim on the 'policy plain language summary' where the actual policy document was more favourable to the claimant. (that cover came via a major bank/building society) Make sure that the insurer is a member of Association of British Insurers and do check that they have a 24hour emergency service.

you can save money by:

1. only including North America cover if you really need it

2. only including Worldwide if you really need it

3. Deleting baggage cover if your Household/All Risks insurance extends away from the home to the area you travel to.

I have moved my cover to LV because they dealt with a claim professionally but do shop around.

Capot
12th Nov 2011, 09:42
For anyone over 70, not the OP, obviously, beware; they'll happily sell you insurance without pointing out the very small print excluding you. And that's after they have noted your date of birth.

PAXboy
12th Nov 2011, 13:39
As long as you bear in mind that Insurance was invented on the premise NOT to pay out - then you'll be fine. Cynical, moi? :rolleyes:

Nervous SLF
13th Nov 2011, 05:00
When we fly we always buy our tickets by using VISA as they give "free travel insurance cover" We have never had a claim so don't know how good / bad they are but I would like to hear from someone who has please.

flyingfemme
13th Nov 2011, 07:21
I recommend you get a copy of the "small print" and read it carefully. You may find that the free insurance is worth exactly what you paid for it.

farci
13th Nov 2011, 07:45
If you are in the UK check out Martin Lewis's site (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance) for information on the best deal.

Also be careful about insurance companies' arrangements for claims. Many use claims management companies who, shall we say, can 'make life difficult' when making a legitimate claim

Ancient Observer
13th Nov 2011, 10:54
BEWARE

SWMBO and I have used a Co called "Insureandgo". No more Never.

They rely on the small print for what the trade calls Inertia selling. Quitesimply, they increase the cover, increase the premium, and take next year's policy payment from your credit card - without even checking whether or not you still use the credit card.

Worse still - We arranged and paid for insurance for our younger daughter with them. When it came to renewal time, they increased the cover (never requested) and massively increased the premium, and proposed to take the money from MY credit card. (One that I do not use any more).
When I rang to complain, they refused to speak to me as I was not my daughter, and therefore not their client. Fine, I said, if I am not your client, then remove all data that you have about me and my credit card from your system. They refused. I asked again, formally, in writing, quoting the Data Protection Act and the ICO. They refused again.

In my simple mind they are criminals and should be locked up.

PAXboy
13th Nov 2011, 13:05
I have had my travel insurance with American Express for more than 25 years. Firstly as a stand alone policy and then as part of my Platinum Card membership.

Never had any problems when the crunch has arrived. In fact, during one (fairly minor) illness whilst abroad that only required one visit to a doctor, they rang my hosts where I was staying a few days later to know if there was anything else I needed!!

Given that it's inclusive with Platinum, I cannot judge it for cost value but I would suggest that stand alone AmEx travel insurance be considered.

Espada III
13th Nov 2011, 18:52
After using a Which? recommended firm, who were very good but then dropped out of the market, I reviewed the policies then available and discovered that the Marks & Spencer travel insurance met our requirements.

To date we claimed for two instances of delayed luggage at the holiday destination. They were rigorous, but fair and in both cases we were paid out within the time limits and slightly in excess of what we were legitimately allowed as per the cover.

We continue to use them despite the costs going up. However we deal with this by alternating the 'insured' each year (mrs e then mr e) so that we get some new customer discount.

Edit - forgot to say that this year for a family of five with Worldwide cover including the USA and Canada and skiing, was about £250.

Doors To Manuel
15th Nov 2011, 16:06
As with all types of insurance, being price led is a minefield. Number 1 should be track record on claims, and number 2 is to look at the amount of cover and the excess. My fridge freezer packed up recently and with the £100 excess and the loss of 'no claims' for following year of £40 it was just not worth claiming.

So, for travel insurance, take a look at travel insurance (http://www.idDeals.com/insurance) it covers residence in most parts of the world and you can choose your region of travel.

Rest of the site is good for other airline employee travel stuff, too

UniFoxOs
19th Nov 2011, 10:34
Thanks for the input, fellows. AO, we were insured with them a few years ago until I discovered that the web site lied - it said quadbiking was covered as standard and the policy wording excluded it, however I have to say I fell ill in Oz while covered by them, had to stay over 9 days, and they paid pretty promptly all I could legitimately claim under the policy (although not what I felt I ought to be able to claim, but that's another issue).

Any road, 'er indoors has long been a customer of the "typo" insurance firm (LV=), having been a civil serpent, and, noting rethymnon's suggestion above, she has managed to get us a decent policy with them.

Cheers
UFO