PDA

View Full Version : First medical examination!

fabbe92
11th Nov 2011, 14:02
Hello everybody! I have just booked my first medical class 1 examination and I have a few questions regarding this.

1. If I do fail my initial examination due to a problem that can be fixed, and I pass it my second time, will this be to my disadvantage when applying to airlines later on?

2. I am currently at university and I have 2 years left, but I want to do my medical now so I know if I should continue pursuing this goal. Is it a smart move or should I wait to the last minute, due to the yearly costs involved?

Thanks!

pipercam
11th Nov 2011, 14:58
It is always a good idea to get your medical done before you start flight training...to ensure that you are not about to throw thousands of £ at something that ultimately you might not be able to do because of medical issues.

However, if you do not intend on starting your training until you finish uni then is it worth the yearly costs just for peace of mind? I certainly know every penny mattered when I was uni...

lbfjrmd
11th Nov 2011, 15:11
1. If I do fail my initial examination due to a problem that can be fixed, and I pass it my second time, will this be to my disadvantage when applying to airlines later on?

No

mad_jock
11th Nov 2011, 19:54
The class one will down grade to a class two which is perfectly acceptable to train on and go solo. The only time you will need to get it back up to class 1 status is when you apply for a CPL. There is no requirement to renew it every year unless you are flying commercially.

hvogt
11th Nov 2011, 20:47
fabbe92,

it's a good idea to have your medical status checked as early as possible. You have mentioned it yourself - there is no point in pursuing your goal when you aren't eligible for a class 1 medical in the first place.

The costs for the yearly examinations are relatively low compared to the initial examination. I had to pay around EUR 500 for the first examination, and I usually have to pay something in the region of EUR 100 for the yearly revalidations. This, however, might be different in the UK.

gingernut
11th Nov 2011, 21:27
What fixable problem are you worried about?

dlx_xlb
14th Nov 2011, 17:08
Answers to your questions.

1. No as long as you have a medical its all that really matters, When it comes to airline medicals all their really looking for is possible medical reasons why you may prematurely leave the company and wont be able to fulfill your contract.. Because they have paid for your training, and want service in return

2. Yes do you medical as soon as possible. If you cannnot become a pilot, you would want to know now!!!! Before you spend thousands... Once passing a medical, make sure you take care of yourself, for a long happy career in aviation

fabbe92
14th Nov 2011, 18:03
I´ve heard that companies like British Airways and Cathay Pacific have more strict medical requirements than the usual medical class 1