PDA

View Full Version : ALTP groundschool preparation

Atlanta
6th Nov 2001, 21:17
Early next year I am due to commence ALTP groundschool. I have done the maths & physics revision course. I now have a little over 2 months spare before my course starts. Can anyone suggest anything I might do in preparation that might give me a head start when the course commences?

redsnail
6th Nov 2001, 22:06
If I were you, start learning what Jepp charts are about. Invaluable info and you can save a lot of time. Revise your radio calls, eg the Mayday one, know the order/sequence of prioties. If you are still feeling keen, start learning and understanding piston engines and turbines. It would be well worth the effort to get yourself to a maintenance hangar and actually look at the guts of an engine. It makes the theory a lot easier when you know how it fits together. Since piston and turbines are examined, it doesn't really matter. Both is perfect. That should keep you busy. If you can, pop over to an aviation museum where they have cut aways of engines and wings etc. Being able to visual what an axial engine looks like v's a centrifugal turbine is useful.
None of this is really hard work. In fact it should be enjoyable, you have enough hard work coming up.
Trust me on that one.

Dornadair
7th Nov 2001, 01:40
Broon stick, I have recently started out here at Jerez, and if i were in your shoes I would be going over basic maths and physics, make sure you know how to do the simple things like trig off pat, so as you are not adding to your learning when you arrive. I had beed out of full time education for 2 years but had done no Maths or physics since school and its amazing how much you forget. As for recommended reading I would get in touch with the company you will be training with and ask them there opinion.

I would also get into study habits, knowing what works for you may not quite be the same as the next man/woman, sounds simple but again a place I tripped up just re-reading notes doesn´t work for me but It does for others. So know whats good for you, not what others tell you is good for you.

Finally I would get some sleep because this candle burning can get a bit knackering.

If I can be of anymore assistance give me a shout. :cool:

Jetgate
7th Nov 2001, 17:20
Broom_Stick Pilot and Dornadair,

I was wondering what you two might consider as good revision material for basic Math and Physics? I'm about to start my conversion and it was a very loooooooooong time ago since high school.

And Ms. Snail, how did you find the Math and Physics when you started converting?

Thanks people.

November Whiskey
7th Nov 2001, 17:53
Hi B.P.

I saved the following list of things to pre-study, from a post on the same topic from earlier in the year.

> Trigonometry & Triangles
> Vector Triangles
> Angles within circles
> Properties of circles
> Geometrical relations
> Interpolation
> Transposition of formulae
> Arithmetic skills
> Mental arithmetic
> Ability to read graphs
> Basic magnetism
> Basic Electrics
> Understanding of power, work, energy and moments of force.
> Try and get yourself a basic maths & physics book. Also Mechanics of
flight
> by AC Kermode.

Also, many people rave about a book on jet engines written by none other than Rolls Royce (the company, not a pseudonym!).

Hope this helps!

I intend to start looking at this lot in the new year.

Best of Luck!

N.W. :D

redsnail
7th Nov 2001, 18:48
Not overly difficult really. Just be up to speed on Trigonometry, transposing formulae and the like. Physics? It isn't too hard, if you have done a brush up then you should be fine. Just so long as you have a basic understanding of how the forces in flight work with or against each other and so on. Read Kermode etc.
I didn't pass maths or physics at high school (I did a year later at technical college) so if I can do it, believe me, any one can.
What people find difficult with the ATPL is the sheer volume of work and piecing together the systems/engines/performance aspects.
Met often catches people out so start watching the wx on telly with a bit more interest. Ie note how the cold/warm fronts move and so on. Also, the movement of the ITCZ is a very useful thing to have bolted.
If I were you, I would concentrate on stuff that you may not see. As I said, go to a maintenance hangar and have a look at what an alternator looks like, how it's wired into the engine, prop governors, even a battery if you haven't seen one. To be able to picture it is worth a thousand words in a text book.
Maths and Physics? That by comparison was easy.

Atlanta
8th Nov 2001, 11:52
May I say many thanks to Redsnail, November Whiskey and Dornadair. Between you, you have provided me with a helluvalotta valuable advice. Thanks guys!

Jetgate. As I am sure you will appreciate, there is Physics and there is Physics. I bought a text book to help me and found that it dealt with all the right subjects but at a level and in a way that was above me and which I could not understand!!!

I believe the kind of physics we have to study is what is called 'Mechanics', that is to say such things as mass, specific gravity, inertia, momentum, friction, force, work, etc. The level is at about GCSE 'O' level; no higher. Really basic engineer's physics. I found the most useful books were Newnes Engineering Science Pocket Book and 'Science for Engineering' by J. O. Bird and published by Newnes. I obtained both of these from our local library.

I seem to remember that there is a JAA requirement for groundschools to provide revision maths and physics courses. I suggest you contact the school you intend to use and ask them if they provide anything. I do hope this has been useful.

C'mon Puss, let's get the 'stick in the air.

Jetgate
8th Nov 2001, 17:24
B_M, Redsnail, Dordanair and NW thanks a lot for all your help. With regard to Redsnail's tips on engines and systems I've been reading 'Turbine Pilots Flight Manual' prefaced by Kershner and written by Brown & Holt. Awesome book, with very clear and simple explanations on electrical, hydraulic and Pneumatics’ along with Turbine engine theory....

Check it out..........

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Jetgate ]

DEXY
9th Nov 2001, 04:58
Broomstick Pilot....

Firstly, it is really good that you're going ahead with an ATPL course with the current climate in the industry. Unlike most others, I firmly believe that the market will pick up in the next couple of years. If this is the case there will be a strong demand for pilots with good training and sound aptitudes - especially since many major airlines have delayed or cancelled training courses of late. These airlines could find themselves with a considerable skills shortage if the market picks up more quickly than they predict.

To answer your question, having recently started my ATPL, I find the most taxing aspect of the course is the sheer volume of material to learn rather than the complexity of it. From this respect I totally agree with what has previously been said - get quickly into a routine of revising what you have learned that day - if you get behind it can be hard to catch up.

Try not to lose sight of your goals either. Despite the vast expense of the course, and the time and effort spent going through various selection process, there are times in ground school when people begin to lose motivation. This is a perfectly normal reaction - the courses are tough and intensive because they have to be. The upside being the rewards of successfully completing the course - these are very high (if, like me, your dream job is being a pilot!) and should remain foremost in your mind - that way you'll have no trouble....

I wish you all the best for your future.

DEXY

magpie
17th Oct 2005, 19:02
That search function really does work!

I am in a similar position to that in which Atlanta found himself all those years ago. I presume all of the pre-groundschool advice remains sound. Any other tips and hints - I have about six weeks to wait?

Magpie