PDA

View Full Version : Steps to becoming a pilot

Smiless
11th Nov 2011, 05:35
Ok, before anyone tells me to go read the sticky threads at the top of this forum... I have already read it however many of the posts it links to are out of date by 3-4 years... :( (I read the one named; Archive Reference Threads and Posting Guidelines)

Basically I am a student at University studying Aerospace Engineering. I've always had an interest with things which fly, and even worst is my habit of staring up into the skies every time I notice an airliner flies past, takes off or comes to land (I live close to London City Airport - and I still never get tired of it.. :sad:)

Although I enjoy most parts of the Engineering side especially the maths I still would love to become an airline pilot.
Could anyone list out some steps I should take if I wanted to become a commercial airline pilot? And what are the typical costs to get a full CPL right now (2011)? I'm definitely no rich kid, so cheapest routes would be best. :ok: - Just so you know, I've never actually flown an aircraft before.. No PPL.. Nothing. :*

Lastly, how much as it changed when it comes to eyesight and flying commercially? I wear glasses... :(

The Old Fat One
11th Nov 2011, 05:58
With zero small aircraft cockpit time, at the very minimum go and do a five hours starter pack somewhere (cost £600 - £800). You will be spending a lot of time in the enviroment, so find out if you like it. One trial flying lesson, is not enough...that's just a thrill trip. You need to find out what it is to learn in light aircraft.

If you kind afford a starter pack, you cannot afford flying lessons...period.

If you go a decent flying school, your starter pack will include an introduction to all the possible routes to a flying career.

If you find out that you like it, and you can afford it, the very next thing is the medical (which will cover eysight).

taff_lightning
11th Nov 2011, 07:34
This site give a far run down of the steps requires to get your first professional license. Both Modular and integrated, loads of stuff on here about that so I'm not even gonna get started.

Bristol.gs (http://www.bristolgroundschool.eu/groundschool/licence_first_professional_licence.aspx)

Everything "the old fat one" says if correct too about getting started.

AndoniP
11th Nov 2011, 08:45
step 1. do some lessons first to see if you can stomach it, and whether you have the aptitude for it.
step 2. have a medical as mentioned before to see if you're fit to hold a licence.
step 3. contact your nearest school and do your ppl.

modular is the cheapest method, but you'll still spend £160-£220 an hour on lessons.

the ppl will set you back maybe 8 grand or more depending on the school.

and that's just the start of it.