PDA

View Full Version : Instruction on privately owned/non-PT aircraft

ppl_fresher
9th Nov 2011, 10:43
Apologies if this has already been done to death - I can't find any threads referencing ORS4 #847 or the broader question here.

As the proud purchaser of a plane with a wobbly prop, I need to get the constant speed validation trained and signed off. Clearly the exemption above doesn't cover this.

So my question is - is the fact that a plane has certain items maintained on condition automatically mean it is not maintained to public transport standards, and so is this plane not usable for the initial validation?

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2011, 11:54
If you are the sole owner, you are fine.

Any FI or CRI current on VP props should be able to do it. If you are in a flying club ask there, if not say here what airfield you're based at and there should be a few suggestions or volunteers.

G

mad_jock
9th Nov 2011, 12:06
You don't even need to own it for differences training. That only applies to intial license and class ratings.

ppl_fresher
9th Nov 2011, 13:05
Thanks! That makes life much simpler...

seat 0A
9th Nov 2011, 13:49
What is a constant speed validation?
Something British?

Rod1
9th Nov 2011, 13:55
“constant speed validation?”

In the UK you need compulsory differences training for certain things like disappearing Dunlop’s, TW, EFIS, VP props etc. It is quite informal and just needs a sign off from an appropriate coach when he is happy with your knowledge. In some cases it is not even necessary to fly to get signed off.

Rod1

S-Works
9th Nov 2011, 13:59
Differences training can only be given by an Instructor (of which all LAA FULL coaches are). It requires a theory element and a flight.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2011, 15:22
Differences training can only be given by an Instructor (of which all LAA FULL coaches are). It requires a theory element and a flight.

Although many LAA coaches may not have differences on VP props themselves.

G

S-Works
9th Nov 2011, 16:34
Sorry G, lost the relevance of that comment?

Clearly any Instructor giving Instruction will require to have the relevant differences training themselves in order to give it.........

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2011, 16:43
A sets things.

All Instructors (CRI or FI) who have VP recency can teach VP differences.

All LAA coaches are instructors.

However, not all instructors (including not all LAA instructors) have VP recency.

Therefore not all LAA coaches can teach VP differences training.

G

Whopity
9th Nov 2011, 16:57
VP recency.
No such thing on a Single, you have it or you don't. On a Twin it lasts 2 years!

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2011, 17:06
Fair point.

G

ifitaintboeing
9th Nov 2011, 22:44
All LAA coaches (assistant and full) are FI or CRI, and can conduct VP/CS differences training.

Mark 1
10th Nov 2011, 02:14
ifitaintboeing - An LAA coach won't necessarily be signed off on VP (or retractable ot tailwheel). It isn't a prerequisite of getting an FI or CRI rating.

As such, they won't be qualified to sign off the training as they can't be PIC on such an aircraft.

I have heard it suggested that VP instruction could be conducted by briefing only, without flying. Despite being inadequate, it still wouldn't be very appropriate unless the instructor was experienced and privileged to fly themselves.

ifitaintboeing
11th Nov 2011, 07:24
As such, they won't be qualified to sign off the training as they can't be PIC on such an aircraft.

I understand that, and can still inform you:

All LAA coaches (assistant and full) are FI or CRI, and can conduct VP/CS differences training.

I have heard it suggested that VP instruction could be conducted by briefing only, without flying. Despite being inadequate, it still wouldn't be very appropriate unless the instructor was experienced and privileged to fly themselves.

At the start of Section F in LASORS (F0 General Information) it describes what familiarisation and differences training is required. VP props require differences training which includes theoretical knowledge and flight training.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2011, 13:03
I know that you have inside knowledge IfItAint, but what you're stating isn't confirmed by the coaching scheme website - and indeed very few LAA aeroplanes have VP props, and there's no requirement for a 1000hr PPL+CRI (LAA's minima) to have flown VP, so it seems not unlikely that some of those coaches have not flown VP props (and thus can't teach the relevant differences training).

As an aside, I notice another possible anomaly there. The LAA coaching scheme website (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/PCS/content_table.html) shows a mix of "group A" (yes, I know) and microlight types in category 2, but (particularly since I believe that the LAA coaching scheme doesn't include microlight time in its 1000hrs minimum to become a coach) it may well be that LAA coaches in that category have not received microlight differences training so could not - for example - legally conduct training onto a Shadow DD, MW6 or Jabiru UL (or for that matter a CH601 microlight variant in category 1).

G

ifitaintboeing
11th Nov 2011, 14:47
All LAA coaches (assistant and full) are FI or CRI, and can conduct VP/CS differences training....because they have all flown and instructed on aircraft with VP/CS propellers.

The requirements to become a coach include:

Hold a current Flight Instructor or Class Rating Instructor rating
Significant experience on LAA types including experience of tailwheel, CS prop, and turbo chargers.
Approximately 1000 hours Pilot-In-Command of SEP aircraft

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/Forms/CSL3.1%20Becoming%20a%20Coach.pdf

As an aside, I notice another possible anomaly there.

The aircraft category list on the LAA website dates back a number of years, and is one of the items to be updated over the winter.

Genghis, as your questions appear to digress somewhat from the original poster's question and are particular to the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme, please feel free to phone or e-mail, or indeed place your question on the LAA forum and I will be happy to answer your queries.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Nov 2011, 15:52
Fair point, although I think collectively that we answered the OP's question some time ago!

Actually one point - you've expressed there as "requirements" what are stated on the LAA website as "not minimum requirements, they should be considered as a guide". I shall leave it there and switch to email.

G

foxmoth
11th Nov 2011, 19:58
Significant experience on LAA types including experience of tailwheel, CS prop, and turbo chargers

I find it very strange that turbo chargers should be a requirement to be an LAA coach, I would think there are not many LAA a/c fitted with one and if this is a requirement as you state I would think it rules out many otherwise eligible and highly experienced potential coaches:hmm:

ifitaintboeing
11th Nov 2011, 21:05
foxmoth, see here (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/Forms/CSL3.1%20Becoming%20a%20Coach.pdf)

foxmoth
11th Nov 2011, 21:28
I am not blind - I already saw that, I also note, as I believe Genghis did that is says :-
Whilst the following are not minimum requirements

So it would seem you do NOT have to have turbo OR VP props and whilst I suspect most will have Tailwheel and many will have VP prop I really doubt there are a majority of coaches with turbo, It would seem to back up Genghis's statements that, In all probability, not ALL LAA coaches can do VP props, rather than yours that they ALL can, in fact I would even think there is the odd LAA coach out there that cannot do tailwheel.
If the LAA IS insisting on this - WHY? How many LAA aircraft are fitted with Turbo - I would have thought more are fitted with Retracts (which I notice is not a requirement) than turbo? I am not LAA committee so not my area of expertise, but are they encouraging suitable people to be coaches or just being bureaucratic for the sake of it?:ugh: