PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford Flying Club

rossco18_uk
6th Nov 2001, 17:17
Hi there,
Before I mention the reason to this topic, just want to say thanks to the people who gave me the information with regards to the Class 1 medical. I am proud to say I am now the owner of a CAA Class1 medical Certificate. Cheers guys.
Anyway, I was recently chatting to someone with regards to the above flying club. They do the full JAA Commercial Pilot course with IR for just over 25000 pounds. Doesn't sound too bad as normally it is a lot more than this. The club was highly recommended to me by this person and I was just curious as to whether anyone where has been there, heard of it or even trained there. Could you tell me what it is like there. I am extremely interested in becomming an airline pilot. I am currently doing Aero engineering and once I am finished there I would consider doing a course like this. It is a lot of money, but then that's what loans are for.
Any help would be extremely grateful

Regards
Ross

Di - Hedral
6th Nov 2001, 20:28
Simple answer is - go there and assess the situation for yourself.

Although schools are constantly changing, this one is the largest privately owned school in the country. Being situated under the London TMA and in the busiest airspace in England there is a wealth of practical knowledge to be obtained. Some schools are so remote that often students are afraid to venture outside their 'secure' area and brave being surrounded by the complexities of the heavily populated airspace.

Hopefully, on either visiting the airfield or speaking to them you will be pleased by the genuine and friendly advise on offer :)

Although this is true of many 'flying clubs' because 'club' denotes a more personal message than 'school', a simple check with the CAA on their success rate should help you to decide. The CAA are not allowed to recommend or pass any other comment on individual schools. Also, only you will know whether or not the atmosphere there is one that suits you.

G SXTY
7th Nov 2001, 00:19
Yep, well worth a look.

I'm doing my PPL there & can vouch for the busy but friendly atmosphere. Regarding the more complex stuff, Eric Thurston is a living legend & seems to have put half the industry through their IR courses. I've met several KLMUK captains who started off there, so no shortage of quality / experience.

The airspace is extremely busy, so never a dull moment! :eek:

Let us know what you decide & good luck.

Flying Lion
8th Nov 2001, 13:21
Stapleford has a fast growing reputation,(see thier website under commercial to see CAA report extract).They have a good pass rate with nobody failing to get a first series pass this year on CPL or IR training.They have approx 25 CPL courses and approx 25 I/Rs courses completed or running this year. Good equipment & reasonable prices! Go & see them!