PDA

View Full Version : Mass / Board Brief material

shumway76
8th Nov 2011, 14:10
Anyone have any Mass brief & board brief material as those used by RAF for basic flight training (EOC1, 2, S&L1 & 2, Descending 2 etc etc)

foxmoth
8th Nov 2011, 15:30
Depends on what you want and how you are going to present it - I have all my briefs on power point, I can either sit one to one with my laptop, but for mass briefs use a screen and OHP.

shumway76
8th Nov 2011, 22:21
Is it based on the RAF syllabus? If so, can I have a copy please?Or does anyone have the actual RAF board brief material?

foxmoth
9th Nov 2011, 11:11
Again, depends what you want, it is broadly based on the RAF syllabus as most uk ones are, but modified, if you PM me your email I can send it you so you can see. You can then of course mod it as you want to fit your requirements.

justmaybe
16th Nov 2011, 15:54
Try getting your hands on RAF publication AP 3225 (elementary and Advanced Flying Training) - might help you.

shumway76
19th Nov 2011, 06:18
Been searching around the net for AP3225, can't find anywhere to download it. I managed to find and download AP3456 though!

justmaybe
19th Nov 2011, 20:07
Try e-mailing editor of AP3456 [email protected] to see if it they can get a copy for you. If you can't get it the nearest thing I have seen was a set of notes provided to a guy who had done a FI course at 'On Track' Aviation in the Midlands.

blagger
20th Nov 2011, 16:25
On Track notes can be brought via their web site. Best investment you'll ever make as an FI in my opinion.

shumway76
22nd Nov 2011, 23:02
It's RAF terms I think.

Mass brief is a briefing to large (mass) group with regards to the air exercise that will be flown, including the aerodynamic considerations. Can be up to 1 hour.

Board brief is a 1 to 1 briefing by instructor to student just before the flight. It only covers the air exercise, which the student should have already learned during the mass brief. Normally max 15 minutes.

However, in "civilian" world, we still use the term mass brief, but not necessarily to a large group of students, but to mean that the briefing is about the air exercise including aerodynamic considerations.
Board brief is only air exercise.

blagger
23rd Nov 2011, 07:26
Shumway - a mass brief is not linked to each air exercise, for example you would have mass briefs that covered stalling, navigation, instrument flying in total, which would be covered in the air by a number of air exercises (which each have their own board brief). Civilian terminology is more commonly the long and short or pre-flight briefs which follow same concept.

imrantom
29th Aug 2018, 06:45
Any e-mass brief material out there? or anyone here can share an ab initio PPL mass brief.

Whopity
30th Aug 2018, 08:51
Surely if you are giving mass briefs or any other brief for that matter you should be able to produce your own. I have seen too many "Glossy Briefs" given by instructors who don't understand what they are briefing because they did not produce it.

TheOddOne
30th Aug 2018, 16:18
Those of us currently providing training for a Part-FCL PPL or LAPL as Registered Training Facilities will shortly be having to apply to become Declared Training Organisations (DTO). Whilst we eagerly await the publication of the actual Declaration forms on Sunday, my understanding is that we will have to provide evidence of the training material we are using. The choice will be either to use one of the off-the-shelf recognised 'glossy' presentation packages or write our own. In the case of the latter, considerable extra expenditure by the DTO will be required for the CAA to approve it, so personally I'll be opting for one of the existing and pre-approved packages. In fact, I already use one. However, during my instructor course, I was required to produce a whiteboard presentation for each of the 'long' briefs and each of the pre-flight briefs from first principles. I assume every instructor currently working in the UK has had to do the same. Thus, whilst I may use a pre-prepared briefing for convenience and time-saving, I am aware of the underlying principles involved. Every 3 years I am required to reproduce a 'long' brief and a pre-flight brief for my instructor rating revalidation. Actually I can choose this time to either attend a seminar or a revalidation with an FIE. I now always choose the latter, as I feel that I got less value from the seminar I did attend a few years ago.

Maybe it's not quite the same under other non-EASA Authorities...

TOO

Whopity
30th Aug 2018, 19:04
Mass brief is one given to a group of candidates and usually comprises of a long brief which could be a precursor to a Pre Flight Brief or a Technical subject

Long Brief is typically a 40 minute (you'll know why) brief covering the detailed aspect of a flight exercise or a ground subject

Short Brief or Pre Flight Brief (15-20 minutes) is a recap of the essential points from the long brief ending with who will do what.

As nobody in the PPL World does a long briefs the norm is a Short Long Brief.

Apart from Flying Scholarships I can't imagine anywhere in the PPL World where Mass Briefs would be given.

rarelyathome
30th Aug 2018, 20:59
‘University’ courses at Wycombe another example.

memories of px
31st Aug 2018, 10:16
Ontrack aviation and Pooleys briefs are also available in OHP form, or use the paper version with a printer that makes them into OHP format.

Whopity
31st Aug 2018, 11:21
Those of us currently providing training for a Part-FCL PPL or LAPL as Registered Training Facilities will shortly be having to apply to become Declared Training Organisations No application involved; you simply make a Declaration and commence training. There is a very good EASA presentationon on how it should work here (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjO-IL5lZfdAhUFKBoKHcx0CrIQFjAAegQIChAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.qcm.ch%2Fuploads%2Fmedia%2F1-dto-short-4-ga-roadshow-switzerland-2017-10.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3qEyL2ANvvZQOjYBbsaX3f)

bemused1812
31st Aug 2018, 14:33
I think there is a Bristol Groundschool CBT course of long briefs/mass briefs/phase briefs. Try giving them a call.