PDA

View Full Version : LMA CAT B issued by ENAC (ITALY)

pm07a2m
7th Nov 2011, 19:06
Hello everyone,
I am a holder of an Italian LMA (Licensa Manutentore Aeromabile), the English transaltion I guess would be Aircraft Maintenance Licence.

What I would like to know is what this licence gets called in your country (in particular UK), as I am thinking to try and convert my licence to a CAA one as I see there it is much more asked for abroad. Would it be equivalent to a LAME certificate?

Does anyone know if there is a straightforward way of doing this conversion, or am I going against a wall of endless burocracy?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Capot
8th Nov 2011, 09:10
I suspect that what you have is an Category B EASA Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence (AMEL), otherwise called an LMA in Italian, issued by ENAC.

The UK CAA also issues EASA AMEL in the various Categories to people who qualify through knowledge and experience as Part 66 requires (or Freemasons).

An EASA AMEL issued by the UK CAA under Part 66 is no different or better from one issued by any EASA Member State under Part 66, including an LMA issued by ENAC. There are 27 States to choose from, I believe.

That's the official position, and of course we all recognise that the standards imposed by each State, being governed by Part 66, do not vary by one tiny jot from each other.

Don't we?

As it happens the UK CAA has some unique ideas with which it embellishes the EASA standards, but these are usually to raise more fees or because its Surveyors are incapable of understanding Part 66.

You could try Germany for a more rational approach (in German, of course), but you may get the same answer.

Beeline
8th Nov 2011, 20:32
I am not directing this at the thread starter but wasn't it the Italian CAA whom at the cut over issued B1 AND B2 full licenses to there ICAO type I/II chappies?

I know we are all one happy european family but my licence is valid all round the world with straight forward conversions. Others are not......... why??

:ok: