PDA

View Full Version : DH2 to the Somme

Bert Angel
7th Nov 2011, 09:38
Just thought I'd post this link to our blog for a very special Remembrance Day event:

AIRCO DH.2 (http://wickenbydh2.wordpress.com/)

We are flying the replica Airco DH2 based at Wickenby in Lincolnshire to France for the 11 November 11. The aircraft, accompanied by its Chipmunk support aircraft, has reached Headcorn in Kent where it is waiting for good weather to hopefully make the crossing to the Somme tomorrow. On Friday afternoon it will perform a flypast during the unveiling ceremony of a new memorial to Major Lanoe Hawker VC, DSO; Hawker was the first 'ace' of the RFC, the first airman to be awarded the VC for aerial combat and the first Commanding Officer of Number 24 Squadron, the first single seat all-fighter squadron.

Having led 24 Sqn to defeat the 'Fokker scourge' and gain air supremacy over the Somme sector (his famous tactic: 'Attack everything!') he was killed on 23 Nov 16 after an epic encounter with the then unknown Manfred Von Richthofen. His defeat effectively marked the end of RFC domination in the face of new advanced German fighters & the road to 'Bloody April' 1917.

Whilst in France the DH2 will also be appearing at the Thiepval Memorial just after 1100 to make a poppy drop. It will be the first of its type to cross the Channel & fly over the Western Front since 1918.

Bert Angel

Bert Angel
12th Nov 2011, 22:35
Sadly due to the weather the DH2 was unable to appear over the Thiepval or Hawker Memorials on Remembrance Day, but it was able to fly today, making it the first DH2 to fly over the Western Front since 1918.

India Four Two
16th Nov 2011, 03:05
Bert,

It was a shame about the weather on the 11th, but flying a DH2 all that way was an achievement in itself.

Bert Angel
19th Nov 2011, 11:25
Absolutely, and hats off to the team from Wickenby for doing so. As I write the aircraft are still in Albert, the team had to abandon them due to the weather last weekend (something about going back to their 'jobs'.....). They were hoping to fly out today to pick them up but once again they're grounded by fog, at Wickenby this time, so hopes are not high of a recovery.

Even if they can get to Albert there's the small matter of the trip back across the Channel. Having made the trip myself (in a Bulldog, another story...!) I can appreciate the difficulties, and worries, of a single engine over the water.

Studefather
21st Nov 2011, 14:07
Good afternoon all

Calendar and Central News are featuring the DH.2 trip to the Somme this evening. They previewed the feature on last night’s show, and it will be aired at 6:00pm this evening on ITV1 Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Central regions.

You will be able to watch the show again online on Tuesday at Yorkshire Regional News | Calendar - ITV Local (http://www.itv.com/yorkshire).