PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Seeking Advice!

Daibrau
6th Nov 2011, 20:21
Hi all, hope you can help.

Always had a desire to learn to fly and in early stages of looking to get in the air. I think I would be happy (at least initially) with a licence to fly microlights. But would be grateful if anybody could advise on my following queries:

What is a realistic cost for gaining NPPL (Microlight) unrestricted.
Can a NPPL (Microlight) be converted to NPPL (SSEA), if I so wished in the future and if so what is a realistic cost of such a conversion.
Can a NPPL (SSEA) be converted to JAR-PPL and (again!) what is the realistic cost of such a conversion.
What is EASA and would this effect any of the above?
Sorry for all the questions (I really am a newbie to this) I have tried to research this myself and think I have the right answers, but it is all rather confusing, and hoped somebody with experience maybe able to clarify.

Many thanks in advance

DB

Gomrath
6th Nov 2011, 22:21
I am moving this to the Private Flying forum where you are more likely to get a response.

carlmeek
7th Nov 2011, 07:44
I shall give this reply a go....

I passed my NPPL(M) 18 months ago after 38 hours of training at a cost of £93 per lesson. I then bought a microlight and did 150 hours touring around the country.

Just a couple of months ago I decided to move to SSEA so I did the training at Shoreham - 5 flighs plus 2 tests. This cost about £1500

For questions 3&4, can't help you with them, give a flying school a ring about PPL conversion. For easa, I dare you to do a search on the forum :)

B4aeros
7th Nov 2011, 12:02
An NPPL(SSEA) can be turned into a JAR-PPL. You will need to do all the PPL exams, get a JAR medical & pass the PPL flight test, all of which is likely to cost £500+.

You will also need to have done all of the PPL syllabus, most of which will have been done during your NPPL training but there a few extras that you will need to do.

The European Aviation Safety Agency is effectively the pan-European version of the CAA & they are unifying European avation rules. EASA regulations become the law in April 2012 although there is a 3 year transition period for amateur VFR flying during which we can continue to use our old licences. After April 2015, we will need to have an EASA licence to fly most of the GA fleet.

You will be able to convert an NPPL(SSEA) into an EASA LAPL(A) and subsequently into an EASA PPL(A).

Daibrau
8th Nov 2011, 20:02
Many thanks both for the clarification.

Just another couple of questions, does the microlight training need to be undertaken in a three axis/fixed wing microlight to convert to SSEA and with a JAR-PPL certified instructor in order to later convert to JAR-PPL? (Sure I have read this somewhere)

Thanks Again

DB

B4aeros
9th Nov 2011, 11:07
You can turn an NPPL(M) gained in flexwings into an SSEA with the appropriate differences training, as much as is needed to pass the SSEA skills test. NPPL allowances (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/PDFs/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2009.pdf)

If you want to turn that into a JAR PPL, you will need to have done the PPL minimums, ie 45 hours total time (35+ in SEPs), 20 hours dual with a JAR instructor in SEPs & 10 hours solo in SEPs. LASORS, section C (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=90&pageid=4458)

The EASA version of the NPPL, the LAPL will be available from July 2012; the minimum requirements are less than for a JAR PPL but, unlike the NPPL, there's no credit for microlight time. EASA FCL (http://www.easa.eu.int/agency-measures/docs/opinions/2010/04/Draft%20Commission%20Regulation%20on%20personnel%20licensing %20%28LW%29.pdf)