PDA

View Full Version : Engineers per aircraft

RWY_31R
6th Nov 2011, 17:04
Roughly how many full time engineers are normally assigned to an aircraft like the 747?

for example, if a small airline operated 1 aircraft (747), how many full time engineers would they hire to look after the plane?

kingstonboy
6th Nov 2011, 17:53
Loads more info required, schedule,operation (pax,cargo,long or short haul) Line ,base or both,classic (add more) 400 .Simply put "nil defects "T/R 1 competent chap.When it gets interesting at least 1 guy who knows what he is doing(and this can be time/cost saving) and up to 3or4 pairs of hands.The Queen can very quickly swallow labour!!!

RWY_31R
6th Nov 2011, 18:37
Oooook, just a general question so was not sure all that info was needed.

But seeing that you do need it, here's a random scenario:

Ad Hoc Charter, Cargo operation
Long Haul
747 Classic
In house Line maintenance with heavy checks out sourced
1 Trip per week, 8-12 hours flying per leg
Operating out of 1 base to varied world wide destinations (ad hoc)

anything else required?

kingstonboy
6th Nov 2011, 18:53
call an agency !!! 1 off each as req`d B1 and B2 per T/R :} all things being equal.(there are bound to be B2 vagaries)as for full time min 4 off each

Beeline
8th Nov 2011, 20:24
Compliance requirement is within Part M and Part 145 on the amount of Licensed staff needed per organisation with 'x' amount of aircraft.

grounded27
8th Nov 2011, 20:34
I would require 2 for base maintenance. One for outstation with availabilty of more for instances of AOG failures. This large old aircraft WILL require contstant MX but it's often quad redundancy allows for easy MEL procedures to keep her moving. I remember all the air driven devices having poor reliability given the number of them and age of the components more than a decade ago. Slat drive, acm's, reverser motors (P&W) etc are a constant. Not to mention I have never seen more tires thermal during hot and or heavy operation (pilots could have prevented much of this by allowing for a longer rollout).

hangarmba
12th Nov 2011, 09:17
If you use the IATA MCTF data set you would find a range from anywhere from 50 heads down to around 10 heads per aircraft. You can also split out direct and indirect maintenance heads. You have to be a little circumspect though and understand the business model in use as an airline which extensively outsources will have a much lower headcount per aircraft.

The figures above are total engineering including logistics, tech mgt, support etc.

HAWK21M
27th Nov 2011, 07:59
Normally 1 Licenced person with 2 Unlicenced assistants.

Stu_88
29th Nov 2011, 16:26
You would need at least 2 B1 engineers to carry out duplicate inspections on various tasks

spannersatcx
30th Nov 2011, 15:51
Did one with me mates today, i.e. on my own! :{

it was a 400 though.

and no Stu_88 there's ways around that! :eek:

Kuchan
30th Nov 2011, 21:28
Did one with me mates today, i.e. on my own!

and ........ there's ways around that!

There is a "will" then there is a "way"
The "will" will make you more WILLING to do it again for the company.
The "way" may be the a short "WAY" to hell, no joker to bypass the jail.

TURIN
30th Nov 2011, 21:48
Did one with me mates today, i.e. on my own!

You're not Dr Illitout in disguise are you? He did one on his own.......once. :ooh:

cone zone
30th Nov 2011, 23:04
In Oz there are legal ways around duplicates. Pilots can sign a duplicate!

Kuchan
1st Dec 2011, 07:45
Pilot can sign, if approved, to do independent inspection on ETOP oil cap inspection. Very limited. Not all duplicate inspections.

spannersatcx
1st Dec 2011, 09:40
and they don't even need to do that!

I didn't say they can do them all, but they can do some.:ok: