PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a PPL...

Stikman
4th Nov 2011, 06:28
Hi all,
Having recently regained my currency, I'm wondering if there are any places in or around Melbourne I can use my PPL in a volunteer capacity, such as a shark patrol or something of that nature.
I have roughly 300 hours in total, with approximately 165 hours SE command and 35 hours ME command.
Thanks for any tips..

tmpffisch
4th Nov 2011, 06:41
Angel Flight (http://www.angelflight.org.au/volunteers/pilots.cfm)

Probably have to build a few more hours first, based off their website.

ChrisJ800
4th Nov 2011, 07:03
Theres the Civil Air Patrol. They started in Bankstown so dont know if they have extended to VIC yet but you could always offer to setup the VIC branch if they havent. See Australian Civil Air Patrol - Home (http://www.auscap.org.au/)

MACH082
4th Nov 2011, 08:05
Sit the CPL flight test and try to work part time. Then you get paid to fly vs paying to fly.

KRUSTY 34
4th Nov 2011, 09:38
Came to the conclusion many many years ago. There was no way I was ever going to afford to fly as much as I wanted to. Only solution, become a professional pilot.

Now that doesn't suit everyone, but MACH082 is right. Without a CPL (unless you luck-out), there's not a lot of options!

Good luck anyway mate.

fencehopper
4th Nov 2011, 10:14
jump pilot for a small DZ

aroa
4th Nov 2011, 10:29
tow pilot for a gliding club. tech crew for a survey aircraft...might get some ferry/positioning flight time, and see the country as well.:ok:

Just FFS DONT carry a camera and take any picture that you sell, otherwise you'll be in deep sh*t. CASA doesnt like people ( other than themselves who suck hard on the taxpayer tit) making money.:yuk:
Being an entepreneur in aviation in this country is frowned upon.

Schmick machines in RAA offer cheaper alternatives, the air's the same.

Have fun.! (Safely)

Stikman
4th Nov 2011, 10:33
Thanks for the tips, gents. A CPL is on the cards - had a crack at it 20-odd years ago (long, sad story!), hopefully a different result this time round. Looked into Angel Flight, but don't have the hours.
If I understand correctly, one of the requirements to become a jump pilot is 10 hours on type, or on an aircraft of similar performance/complexity....would my ME time count for that? It was all done on the AA-7 Cougar..

outnabout
4th Nov 2011, 22:14
I understood that when an operator requests 10 hours on type - the type is aircraft make & model specific. I understood that, when specified, this was a minimum requirement for insurance, and good management practice.

I could be wrong - am willing to be corrected if there is a reg I've missed.

baswell
4th Nov 2011, 22:40
Fly the extra 50 PIC hours you need cheaply in RA-Aus, then join Angel Flight. :ok:

Stikman
5th Nov 2011, 00:54
Just been idly flicking through my logbook, and have another question:
Does ICUS count towards PIC, or is it something separate?

mcgrath50
5th Nov 2011, 00:58
ICUS is not PIC hence the separate column in your logbook. It can be used for ATPL experience etc. though.

99% sure it can't be used for the CPL requirements but could be wrong.

MACH082
5th Nov 2011, 01:14
ICUS is a tool used by particular companies to hire Pilots without the required experience. They then pay less than what an experienced Pilot will work for (cause they are grateful to get a position they are not qualified for) and offer them ICUS until they meet the minimum regulatory standard, bonding them for the privilege. Generally these guys are hired as FOs with the lure of future ICUS to keep them in order. Don't want to rock the boat, might miss out on ICUS!

ICUS - a regional airlines poison chalice.

SW3
5th Nov 2011, 03:25
Mach 082 on the money! This RHS ICUS is the biggest rort known to the industry! It's intended to be used to train a new Captain on type, as the name implies COMMAND under supervision. You're not doing ICUS unless you're in the left hand seat running the show in my book. It shouldn't be used as a bypass to get enough hours for command because you don't want to go and do your time in GA. That's why the majors don't do RHS ICUS and often don't accept ICUS as command time, because it's not!
Anyway that's my rant and off subject from the remainder of the thread.
Glider towing and meat bombing are popular private ops!

Phil O'Rupp
5th Nov 2011, 10:44
Stikman, ICUS can only be logged by the holder of a CPL or ATPL and only then under certain circumstances. If you have a PPL you can't be logging ICUS and if you are, it won't be recognised.

Here is a summary of logging flight time Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Pilot Log Books (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90100)

Stikman
5th Nov 2011, 23:53
Thanks again, everyone.

Stikman
27th Nov 2012, 19:34
Hard to believe a year has passed already!
The last few months have been hard work, but paid off in the form of an RA-Aus Instructor Rating :D
Looking forward, I plan to achieve my CPL and GA Instructor Rating over the next 12-18 months (sooner if possible..) then MECIR.
Given my single-parent status, going bush is not an option, so just wondering what - if any - opportunities might I find in the Melbourne area later on down the track?
Cheers all :)

Adsie
28th Nov 2012, 07:48
ICUS cannot be logged as command time unless you are a CPL pilot.

REF: CAR 5.40

If as a PPL holder and you log this time as command it must be noted in your log book

Jack Ranga
28th Nov 2012, 08:57
Network man & let people know what you are after. There is plenty of work doing RA conversions to GA so when you've got your GA instructor rating you are ideally placed. Keep those RA hours ticking over, keep the big (long) picture in mind, age for an instructor doesn't matter any more & network man, network :ok:

furball_t
28th Sep 2013, 21:36
Yes, I confirm you may fly into an angel flight programs (more info (http://www.theangelsflight.org) if you like to join them) with just a P.P.L., they look for people with your qualifications every single day.

They normally prefer aircrafts owner but those without an airplane are welcome too.

look in wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org) and there will be a list of the association closer to your city, and have a look into wiki too for shark patrol or fire fighting. You will find something...

VH-XXX
28th Sep 2013, 22:12
Latrobe Valley used PPL's for fire spotting for years in fire season. Not sure of they still do that though. I know the fire mobs started wanting to use faster twins though.

roundsounds
29th Sep 2013, 11:07
Under CASR Part 61 you'll be able to do an instructor rating on a PPL.