PDA

View Full Version : Flying Prohibition rum-runners in the U. S.?

stepwilk
3rd Nov 2011, 17:15
I expect this is more for the Yank readers, but does anybody have any suggestions for books or other sources of information about aerial bootlegging during Prohibition? I'm trying to see if there's enough material for an Aviation History magazine article, but so far, I haven't come up with much.

con-pilot
3rd Nov 2011, 18:29
You know I have to say I've never ran across any stories or books about aerial rum-running. I know for a fact it happened, but proving it, I don't have a clue.

On a related note, I used to work/fly for an FBO that the owner of did fly booze into Oklahoma when it was a dry state. That is how he afforded to open up an FBO. He has long since died, but he was a very good man to work for and rented his flight training aircraft to his employees at cost. I lost count of how many line boys went on to be professional pilots, including myself.

I'll send you his name via PM.

Codger
3rd Nov 2011, 20:09
I've never seen anything in print either. Never heard of aircraft being used for transporting booze in Eastern Canada. There was some activity in Manitoba across in to North Dakota. Some stories about a small airport not far from Minot being involved. Also anecdotes of similar activity in south western Saskatchewan. Might be worth checking those specific areas. Of course, nothing of that sort would happen in Alberta.:E

ian.whalley
5th Nov 2011, 06:24
Wings by H.C. Biard (1934) Page 162.

Biard met with Al Capone who wanted him to fly booze from Canada to the US.

Hope that helps.:)