PDA

View Full Version : Airport at St. Helena

Capetonian
3rd Nov 2011, 16:30
I just heard an interview with the MD of SA company Basil Read, which has been awarded the contract to build a new airport on St. Helena. It will be a R2.5 billion project.

The project was originally mooted in 2003, stalled in 2008, and is now going ahead. The airport will be built on a plateau on the East of the island, I didn't get the details of the runway length and so on, but they mentioned it will be roughly comparable with Nelspruit (rwy length is 3000m) and will handle aircraft carrying up to 200 passengers.

There will be a temporary runway operational within 12-18 months, until that time supplies and workers will be taken to/from the island by a 3000 tonne RORO vessel.

I should imagine that the terrain will present huge logistical difficulties but it will be an interesting airport bringing some benefits to the island and its 4000 inhabitants, many of whom are opposed to the plan.

(I got the above from a radio interview with Basil Read's MD, Marius Haynes. My quick transcription may not be fully accurate.)

JSCL
3rd Nov 2011, 16:34
If ever I saw a waste of UK Gvmt expense, this right here is it.

paully
3rd Nov 2011, 16:46
So this is what happens when you massively increase the Overseas Aid Budget eh. If it wasnt so serious it would be laughable :ugh:

OCEAN WUN ZERO
3rd Nov 2011, 17:09
Airport Development Application - Saint Helena Access Project (http://www.sainthelenaaccess.com/application/)

Have a look at this . One of the most challanging airport projects ever

OWZ:)

L1649
3rd Nov 2011, 18:43
I would much rather British taxpayers money was spent on developing a British Overseas Territory, than the hundreds of millions we give to developed nations such as China and Pakistan!

racedo
3rd Nov 2011, 22:38
Wonder is it being done for other strategic reasons because of its location.

Cameronian
4th Nov 2011, 00:27
Racedo, I am certainly unqualified to comment on any strategic justification although, to an untrained eye Saint Helena doesn't seem to be a great deal closer to a certain group of islands than is Ascension and, at the same time, it does seem to be even further away from such as the UK and Gib.

I suspect that income from tourism might increase substantially and consequent employment may well allow allow reductions in the substantial (per cap.) and gradually increasing UK contribution to the island's economy. There will also be direct income from the flights and supply of related services too. Perhaps, these days, better provision is due for medical and other services for the population, especially if we are keen to keep criticising others for their attitude to human rights...

I wonder how their income from postage stamps is holding up in this digital age. There no longer seems to be much of a market for anything else that they can produce.

Groundloop
4th Nov 2011, 08:36
I didn't get the details of the runway length and so on, but they mentioned it will be roughly comparable with Nelspruit (rwy length is 3000m) and will handle aircraft carrying up to 200 passengers.

The original UK Government specs were:-

"The runway will be 1000ft above sea level and be equipped for non-precision instrument approaches and have the following physical characteristics:

Runway dimensions 1,950m x 45m.

Strip dimensions 2,250m x 300m.

The declared distances will be:

TORA 1,925m;
TODA 2,887m;
ASDA 1,925m; and
LDA 1,650m.

A passenger terminal capable of handling 162 inbound and 162 outbound passengers at any one time.

The service is to provide a minimum capacity of 150 return passenger seats per week (made up of 10 business and 140 economy class seats) and 2,000kg of cargo per week. The minimum aircraft size allowed is one with 4 business and 46 economy class seats."

Don't know if these have changed recently.

Red Four
4th Nov 2011, 08:38
An airport would be important for helping with any oil or gas deposits in the seas around, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was behind it.
Anyway, did not the regular passenger ship link recently cease?
I would second sentiment to spend on a UK territory than the other countries we are tipping money into.

paully
4th Nov 2011, 09:35
But we havent got any money...we are up the creek without a paddle..It must be galling for those poor sods who have lost their jobs to see the Government can find money to fritter on things like this while appearing to turn their backs on people`s plight at home :*

The RMS St Helena now sails from Cape Town rather than UK but the visits are much more frequent than they were

Captivep
4th Nov 2011, 10:16
I stand to be corrected but I don't think the topography (I think that's the right word) and size of Tristan would allow the construction of any sort of airfield.

Wholeheartedly agree that overseas development money should be spent on our dependencies. I also think that there is a fair economic case for this anyway. We currently spend some £26m per year on St Helena and the airport is expected to reduce that as other forms of revenue increase.

Barling Magna
4th Nov 2011, 10:17
Bear in mind that St Helena has twice the population that the Falkland Islands had in 1982, and remember the blood and treasure that we've spent on those islands, and an airport for St Helena seems less extravagant. St Helena has a tremendous loyalty to the UK - a loyalty that has scarcely been well repaid by the British government. A young lady from St Helena worked with me for a couple of years recently; she was so bright and so dedicated to improving the conditions for her islanders - if she was typical of the inhabitants of St Helena then I think our investment will be well worthwhile and certainly money better spent than our increasing list of overseas adventures in recent times.

Lukeafb1
4th Nov 2011, 13:11
Went there once on the SS Saint Helena, but it was closed!!

PAXboy
4th Nov 2011, 17:26
So, is that meant to be 735 / 319 types from Johannesburg and possible Cape Town? Any idea what the distance is and thus the endurance as the alternates are ... a long way away!

OCEAN WUN ZERO
4th Nov 2011, 19:19
ATC to use HF, full Met office including qualified Forecaster to be set up.

Alternate likely to be Walvis Bay Namibia.

PNR decision based on actual met and forcast will be an exciting modus operanda, with the orographic fog that arrives at a moments notice.

Vast amounts to be spent on Rescue services including full inshore lifeboat, ribs and rescue helicopter.
Capetown to the Island @1800nm
Island to Walvis bay @ 1300 nm So 3100nm nil wind a long way

B738 the preferred kit with reduced load.

Thats the rumour

happy days

Should make a great Discovery Channel film....:)

handleturning
4th Nov 2011, 20:56
You put yourself forward for SATCO? Think the role will also include DSATCO, ATC Assistant and Bird Scarer.

groundedforgood
4th Nov 2011, 22:24
Alternate likely to be Walvis Bay Namibia.

Wouldn't Ascension be much closer by @500nm? Just a thought.

GFG

Wycombe
4th Nov 2011, 22:44
Indeed, but probably not much point having another pretty operationally challenging island as an alternate.