PDA

View Full Version : Well done 58 Sqn and 6FP

Jayand
3rd Nov 2011, 12:16
Well done to the lads of 58Sqn RAF Regiment and 6FP on their safe return from Afghanistan, a job well done in helping deliver air power.
How pleased they must be at having been away for 7 months and upon return having to do a parade through the streets of StAndrews!
I know lots of units do it and it's traditional etc, but really all these brave guys want to do is spend some time with their families, go away on holiday and forget about their jobs for a while.
What do we do? make them march through the streets a week later!
If you insist on having somekind of homecoming parade so the locals can "show their support" then why not wait a few weeks/a month, the first thing these guys should be doing is going straight on leave.

SOSL
3rd Nov 2011, 14:06
I can't speak for 58 Sqn and 6FP today,

but there was a small war, in Oman, in the '70s when 51, 2 and 15 Sqn RAF Regiment were quite busy, as were the Royal Engineers, the artillery, several others and the "British Army Training Team" (SAS).

They took casualties and had quite a few nasty engagements, but when they came home there was not even a flicker of recognition. It was a "secret war" because of the then political position.

I may be wrong, but it may be that 58 and 6 were proud to parade in St Andrews.

Bill Macgillivray
3rd Nov 2011, 20:53
I am sure that they were proud to parade on their homecoming, as we should also be proud of their achievements and their return! It does appear to be, dare I say it, a little bit political however. I also remember the Dhofar war, you did it and (hopefully) came home and that was it until your leave ended. Ex 58 Squadron (PR canberras in those days!!) LET US LOOK AFTER ALL OUR GUYS, NOBODY ELSE APPEARS TO CARE VERY MUCH !!:ugh::ugh: